[comp.sys.apple2] Modem Port HELP!!!!

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/30/90)

What are the differences (technical and otherwise) between the GS's
modem port and a Mac? I have a modem set up in my house that feeds a
line to the upper floor where I share it with a housemate with a Mac.
On the Mac, there is no problems whatsoever. But on the GS, there are
terrible data transmission problems.

I have ruled out everything except the GS itself. I am running Proterm
as comm software. I get garbage from the port along with whatever data
is coming over the line, while the mac has no problems. My theory is
that the GS is not putting as much power through the modem port as the
Mac. My GS is rather loaded, with a filled GS-RAM and a SCSI-C card
and only a Apple stock power-supply, but I am surprised that the modem
port on my machine cannot cut what the mac is doing.

Help Please!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |   Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |    Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |             |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/01/90)

In article <sb1KUly00Ud547hU8Z@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>What are the differences (technical and otherwise) between the GS's
>modem port and a Mac? I have a modem set up in my house that feeds a
>line to the upper floor where I share it with a housemate with a Mac.
>On the Mac, there is no problems whatsoever. But on the GS, there are
>terrible data transmission problems.
>
>I have ruled out everything except the GS itself. I am running Proterm
								^^^^^^^
							Ewwwww! Ick!
>as comm software. I get garbage from the port along with whatever data
>is coming over the line, while the mac has no problems. My theory is
>that the GS is not putting as much power through the modem port as the
>Mac. My GS is rather loaded, with a filled GS-RAM and a SCSI-C card
>and only a Apple stock power-supply, but I am surprised that the modem
>port on my machine cannot cut what the mac is doing.
    You need to make sure you have the "Null Modem" driver selected in
the Proterm installation section.  Proterm won't raise the baud rate
higher than the modem you have selected can handle... i.e. if you have
a 2400 baud modem proterm will keep the port at 2400 baud even if you
tell it 9600 baud. It doesn't even tell you it's doing this.
Pretty brain-dead philosophy, if you ask me

    Also, you didn't specify whether everything is garbage or the
transmission is merely noisy.  If it's noisy, that's another problem
altogether.  The GS and Mac use the same serial chip, so I doubt it's
a problem like what you suggesed.  BTW, I don't believe a SCSI card and
a full ramcard would drag down the power supply.  If they were you'd
almost certainly be having other problems.

    Also, if the Mac is receiving perfectly what you're sending, I
haven't the foggiest, besides maybe you've got cords tangled with
each other and causing interference on your side. Or, more likely, the
mac isn't sending right :-).

can muster.  I've had a lot of experience with this kind of stuff, but
I need data...

>Help Please!!!!
   I hope I did.

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>|Jeremy Mereness                  | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
>|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |   Free      |  The above represent my|
>|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |    Software |  opinions, alone.      |
>|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |             |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
   Apple II Forever!  Apple II Infinitum!  Give me Woz or Give me Amiga!

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) (10/02/90)

  Try running ProTERM from a 3.5 disk with ProDOS8. ProTERM 2.2 Doesn't like
GS/OS.
                              BBEAN

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!bbean
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!bbean@nosc.mil
INET: bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (10/03/90)

... bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) writes:

>  Try running ProTERM from a 3.5 disk with ProDOS8. ProTERM 2.2 Doesn't like
>GS/OS.

Huh?  I thought it was Copy II Plus v9.0 that didn't like GS/OS.  What is
ProTERM v2.2's problem with it?

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "The Law:  No Jumping"

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/03/90)

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) writes:

>Try running ProTERM from a 3.5 disk with ProDOS8. ProTERM 2.2
> Doesn't like GS/OS.

Oh??  I use ProTerm 2.2 all the time from GS/OS.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (10/03/90)

In article <5193.apple.net2@pro-grouch> bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) writes:
>   Try running ProTERM from a 3.5 disk with ProDOS8. ProTERM 2.2 Doesn't like
> GS/OS.

ProTERM 2.2 doesn't like gs/os?  Don't tell my system then.

I run ProTERM 2.2 from a hard drive and launch it from the finder everytime
I use it.  If you're having problems with ProTERM and GS/OS you need to look
for errors in your system or system software.
--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul