[comp.sys.apple2] Tempest controller

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/02/90)

Doug,
 Why not make it useable with a trackball?

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/02/90)

In article <8328.apple.net@pro-angmar> kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:
> Why not make it useable with a trackball?

There are several such possibilities, but remember that we were discussing
a commercial product, which could assume keyboard, mouse, or joystick as
the input device, but not special gear that few Apple owners would have.

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (10/03/90)

... gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>... kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) writes:
>>Why not make it useable with a trackball?
>
>There are several such possibilities, but remember that we were discussing
>a commercial product, which could assume keyboard, mouse, or joystick as
>the input device, but not special gear that few Apple owners would have.

Joystick is an option, if you only concern yourself with the outer
perimeter of the joystick.  Still there is the lack of circular motion
along the edge, but the user can accomodate for that by adding a circular
barrier for the stick.  Also many sticks can disable auto-centering for
this.  Instructions for the barrier construction could be given with the
software.

If you use a mouse, you could also then use the turbo-mouse, which is an
inverted mouse with a larger ball, often referred to as a trackball, which
was its name before.  Keyboard controls would be too cumbersome.

--
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "The Law:  No Jumping"

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/03/90)

Doug,
 True, not many own a trackball. However, when I wanted to play games, I
had to go out and buy a joystick. For really good games, I would go out and
buy a trackball. ( I may anyway just to keep from using this cursed mouse
anymore...I hate losing deskspace)