[comp.sys.apple2] Appleworks GS advice sought

dpj@hubcap.clemson.edu (D. Pokrass Jacobs) (09/11/90)

I am seeking advice on Appleworks.
I have a IIGS with only one 3.5 inch drive and 1.25 meg.
I purchased Appleworks GS Ver. 1.0 about a year ago.
It seems to do flakey things like get hung up,
and is very slow to bring up.
Claris is willing to either upgrade it to
Appleworks GS Version 1.1 or Appleworks 3.0.
Can anyone tell me what advantages
either one of these products would have
over the software I currently have?
--
David P. Jacobs
Department of CS, Clemson University, Clemson SC  29634-1906

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (09/13/90)

Recommendation: Get Appleworks 3.0

Although the specs on Appleworks GS make it sound pretty neat, the
implementation is much less than optimum.  It is slow and still has bugs.

On the other hand, Appleworks 3.0 has had its bugs fixed through the good
fortune of dedicated programmers from Beagle Bros issuing patcher disks.  And
with the Timeout and Jem series of add-ins, you have a much more capable
program overall than in the GS version, which really isn't a version of
Appleworks, but an entirely different program that Claris just issued with the
Appleworks name.

You also have a much better support network in place for Appleworks 3.0.  The
National Appleworks Users Group (NAUG) issues monthly journals with all sorts
of tips and techniques.  The Appleworks Programmers Association offers support
and templates and both have electronic bulletin board systems.  If you get on
a Proline bbs, you can get your questions answered by some of the programmers
that wrote the code!

Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com (Adam Robey) (09/14/90)

The new version has GS/OS 5.0 (that will improve the speed A LOT). There are
some bug fixes. I have encountered a few very serious bugs in it even in
Version 1.1 [particularly in the database module] but some of the bugs have
been fixed. I would definitely advise an upgrade.

-AMR
| PROLINE: pro-novapple!adamr             | UUCP: crash!pro-novapple!adamr    |
| ARPA: crash!pro-novapple!adamr@nosc.mil | INET: adamr@pro-novapple.cts.com  |

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (09/14/90)

From article <10411@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by dpj@hubcap.clemson.edu (D. Pokrass Jacobs):
> I am seeking advice on Appleworks.
> I have a IIGS with only one 3.5 inch drive and 1.25 meg.
> I purchased Appleworks GS Ver. 1.0 about a year ago.
> It seems to do flakey things like get hung up,
> and is very slow to bring up.
> Claris is willing to either upgrade it to
> Appleworks GS Version 1.1 or Appleworks 3.0.
> Can anyone tell me what advantages
> either one of these products would have
> over the software I currently have?
> --
> David P. Jacobs
> Department of CS, Clemson University, Clemson SC  29634-1906
> (803) 656-5872
> e-mail:	dpj@hubcap.clemson.edu

I would recommend either one.  AWGS 1.1 loads about six times faster
(with the system updgrade.  seriously), it has MANY fewer bugs, (I
haven't crashed it in months), and is much better about using memory.
AppleWorks 3.0 is text-based and runs on 1 3.5 disk, basically.
You might still need a data disk.  I prefer AWGS because it is WYSYWIG,
and with the upgrade, it is a really solid package.

Boy, I wish I could of said that about version 1.0, but I didn't control
when we shipped it.  Sigh.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (09/14/90)

From article <4381@crash.cts.com>, by mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman):

> Recommendation: Get Appleworks 3.0
First of all, I do not want to get in a flame war about AWGS.  I
don't disagree with this statement.

> Although the specs on Appleworks GS make it sound pretty neat, the
> implementation is much less than optimum.  It is slow and still has bugs.
Have you tried version 1.1?  Believe me, it is much better.  While AW 3.0
is still faster (esp. sorting), AWGS is faster than MacWrite II on a similar
Mac (a Mac SE) at everything in the Word Processor, for example.

> On the other hand, Appleworks 3.0 has had its bugs fixed through the good
> fortune of dedicated programmers from Beagle Bros issuing patcher disks.  And
> with the Timeout and Jem series of add-ins, you have a much more capable
> program overall than in the GS version, which really isn't a version of
> Appleworks, but an entirely different program that Claris just issued with the
> Appleworks name.

I guess I am just one of those lazy Claris programmers (ex-StyleWare) who
only worked 90+ hour weeks for two years on AWGS.

> You also have a much better support network in place for Appleworks 3.0.  The
> National Appleworks Users Group (NAUG) issues monthly journals with all sorts
> of tips and techniques.  The Appleworks Programmers Association offers support
> and templates and both have electronic bulletin board systems.  If you get on
> a Proline bbs, you can get your questions answered by some of the programmers
> that wrote the code!

I can't argue with some of that (the user group stuff).  However, Claris
has one of the best technical support staffs of any software company,
period.  Also, here on the Internet, you can get questions about AWGS
answered by some of the programmers who wrote the code also (like me,
for instance)

Beagle Bros did a great job writing code.  However, that is only about 35
to 45% of the work on a project.  Claris did all of the testing (that in
and of itself is another 30%), docs, tech support, marketing, what ever.
We did not just "put our label" on somebody elses stuff.

As I said, I think that using AWGS 1.1 or AW 3.0 is a matter of personal
opinion.  They are both powerful, well-rounded, solid products.

--

rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (09/15/90)

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes:

>> Although the specs on Appleworks GS make it sound pretty neat, the
>> implementation is much less than optimum.  It is slow and still has bugs.
>Have you tried version 1.1?  Believe me, it is much better.  While AW 3.0
>is still faster (esp. sorting), AWGS is faster than MacWrite II on a similar
>Mac (a Mac SE) at everything in the Word Processor, for example.

I'm not associated with Claris and I agree with Syd on AWGS.  I love it.
I have a Mac SE beside my IIGS with Microsoft Word, Excel, and other
programs on it.  I rarely turn the SE on. I prefer AWGS.  I have used
AppleWorks Classic and it is a great program for the IIe, IIc series
machines, but if you have a GS, get GS software to take advantage of the
WYSIWYG features and graphics.  I realize that Classic AppleWorks has
add-ons that allow the use of graphics, but it is cumbersome.  AWGS 1.1
integrates things very nicely.

The only real criticism that I have is that it doesn't print mailing
labels in draft mode from the database.  So I export it to the word
processor and print from there.

I just hate having to remember all those commands in the text oriented
programs. I'm not programmer, not a neophyte, so you can't use that
argument my preference for the graphical interface.

The interface, lets me concentrate on my work, not on working the
program.

>> program overall than in the GS version, which really isn't a version of
>> Appleworks, but an entirely different program that Claris just issued with the
>> Appleworks name.

>I guess I am just one of those lazy Claris programmers (ex-StyleWare) who
>only worked 90+ hour weeks for two years on AWGS.

How would you have implemented a graphical interface version of
AppleWorks?  I had no problem using it.  The programmers who wrote it
learned a lot from the things people did on the Mac and came up with a
super program.

AWGS might be kind of cumbersome to use with a one-floppy system, but if
you put all of those add-ins into AppleWorks Classic it gets REAL
cumbersome on floppies.  There are a lot of restrictions about what
folders stuff goes in.

>As I said, I think that using AWGS 1.1 or AW 3.0 is a matter of personal
>opinion.  They are both powerful, well-rounded, solid products.

Both from Claris too! ;-)

I agree, some folks just work better in a text environment, I prefer the
graphical environment.

So, Syd what are you working 90 hours a week on NOW?! (Can't tell us
huh?, well I'm sure it awesome.

>Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
>jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.
>GO 'STROS!         | These opinions are mine.  Any resemblence to other
>GO RICE!           |  opinions, real or fictitious, is purely coincidence.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) (09/27/90)

Can we IIgs users expect an upgrade to AWGS?  I'm sure you've heard all of the
weak points concerning that otherwise nice program.  What I'm especially
interested in is being able to invert text and/or rotate it in the DTP module,
some more advanced Terminal features, more advanced WP features (widow/orphan
protection and better margin handling).

I don't think I'm asking too much, nor is anyone else for the money we've paid
expecting something on par with the venerable "AppleWorks" (which I paid the
full $250 for).  I'd like my investment to pay off with a product I can use
beyond its limited capabilities it now has.  Oh, and one more thing, we all
could use some POWERFUL MACROS!  I haven't seen anything on the market that
compares to UltraMacros or other packages I've seen for the Mac, Amiga, and
IBM clone machines.  Please use your influence for good, not evil...
--
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (10/02/90)

In article <23225.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle> lhaider@pro-beagle.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>Can we IIgs users expect an upgrade to AWGS?  I'm sure you've heard all of the
>weak points concerning that otherwise nice program.

> [various desired features]

I am a moderately heavy user of AWGS too, and I'd really like to see an
upgrade, even though I didn't get the last upgrade (1.1?) since it didn't sound
like any significant improvements.  Is there anywhere where you can suggest
ideas for upgrades and be listened to.

And, Apple/Claris, are you still working on AWGS or is it dead?
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

In article <94606@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) writes:
>I am a moderately heavy user of AWGS too, and I'd really like to see an
>upgrade, even though I didn't get the last upgrade (1.1?) since it didn't sound
>like any significant improvements.  Is there anywhere where you can suggest
>ideas for upgrades and be listened to.
>And, Apple/Claris, are you still working on AWGS or is it dead?

	Not any significant improvements??

	If I'm correct, which I think I am (or roughly so on this issue),
AppleWorks GS loads an order of magnitude faster.. I don't have AppleWorks
GS, so I can't tell for sure... But I believe that it was advertized that
AppleWorks GS now loads in ~15 seconds for all modules off of a hard
disk (obviously with System 5.0x and using QuickLoad/FastLoad/whatever-it's-
called)...
	So lets just double that to 30 seconds (so that I'm not taking the
absolute minimum time)... 10* that would be 300 seconds, or 5 minutes..
	Isn't it true that it used to take ~5 minutes to preload all modules?
If that's way off, we can take the 15 second time, and 10* that would be
2.5 minutes.. I'm much more sure it took at least 2.5 minutes.

	An order of magnitude in loading sure seems like one hell of an
improvement to me!  Plus I believe it was faster in some modules but I don't
remember in which ones or for what exact functions.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (10/03/90)

In article <7418@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <94606@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM I write:

>> [statement that AWGS 1.1 wasn't a significant enough difference for me to
>>  upgrade to it]
>
>	Not any significant improvements??
>
>	If I'm correct, which I think I am (or roughly so on this issue),
>AppleWorks GS loads an order of magnitude faster.. I don't have AppleWorks
>GS, so I can't tell for sure... But I believe that it was advertized that
>AppleWorks GS now loads in ~15 seconds for all modules off of a hard
>disk (obviously with System 5.0x and using QuickLoad/FastLoad/whatever-it's-
>called)...

Yes, you're correct (at least, according to the flyers), but is this an upgrade
worth the amount Claris was charging?  If I recall correctly, the amount was in
the $30-$50 range.

Also, on my Transwarped system with a 19 ms. hard drive, it only takes me about
10-20 secs to load the modules I normally use (spreadsheet, word processor,
and/or database) under 5.0.2, so any speed improvements (say 10 sec. ?) are
unlikely to buy much.

I guess the main reason I'm writing this is (if Claris is listening) to say
that if Claris didn't get any sales on the upgrades, then I hope they don't
assume it indicates a lack of interest in AWGS.  I know others who felt the
same way as I did about the upgrade, though I don't doubt that some people were
well served by the upgrade.  Either the upgrade was too little for too much or
it's improvements were under-marketed.
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/04/90)

Also it might be important to note that older versions of AppleWorks
GS are not totally compatible with system 5.0.2.    So even if you are
faster, runs faster and most important, is more reliable under system
5.02 than the older versions.....

Seymour