[comp.sys.apple2] GS Hard Drives

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (09/23/90)

--- A rather boring question from a proud GS owner:

  A friend of mine is interested in buying a hard drive for his GS.
He's seen my Vulcan 40 and is satisfied with the speed of the thing,
but he wants to know the specifics before he invests in a Vulcan or
other drive:  Which is best, which is fastest, and should RamFAST have
anything to do with his decision (just how much faster is a SCSI/DMA
drive w/ a RamFAST DMA SCSI card than a Vulcan or a CirTech?)

------------

As for myself, I'd like to announce to the public that I've had a Vulcan
40 drive for some time now. It's performed FAST and QUIETLY (no fan problems)
for some time and I'm MORE than satisfied.

I'm considering upgrading to a 100. Anyone have any info on AE's upgrade
policy..is it any good? Do I lose my data (obviously I'd back it up first)?

[   Jay Adelson          ]                   [   T.G.C.                       ]
[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu   ]                   [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
[   J.ADELSON1 (GEnie)   ]                   [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

jerryk (Jerry Kindall) (09/23/90)

A SCSI drive with an Apple DMA card beats a Vulcan anytime.  A SCSI drive
with a RamFAST card blows away a Vulcan.  Sorry to say this, but while
Vulcans are of course a LOT faster than floppies, they're fairly slow as
far as hard drives go.  They use cheap and slow Western Digital mechanisms
and occasionally Seagates.  I'd reccommend Vulcans only to people who
really want an internal drive (lacking desk space for an external) and who
don't mind not being able to move the drive to their next computer system.

cse0507@desire.wright.edu (10/03/90)

In article <RikyP4w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, jerryk (Jerry Kindall) writes:
> A SCSI drive with an Apple DMA card beats a Vulcan anytime.  A SCSI drive
> with a RamFAST card blows away a Vulcan.  Sorry to say this, but while
> Vulcans are of course a LOT faster than floppies, they're fairly slow as
> far as hard drives go.  They use cheap and slow Western Digital mechanisms
> and occasionally Seagates.  I'd reccommend Vulcans only to people who
> really want an internal drive (lacking desk space for an external) and who
> don't mind not being able to move the drive to their next computer system.

I thought that the Apple DMA card was having availability problems. A couple
people I know have tried to get them, but are waiting for backorders to be
filled. They don't seem to be available in stores. Anyone know why?

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/03/90)

cse0507@desire.wright.edu writes:

>In article <RikyP4w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, jerryk (Jerry Kindall) writes:
>people I know have tried to get them, but are waiting for backorders to be
>filled. They don't seem to be available in stores. Anyone know why?

Maybe it's because of the demand??

Try mail order. Ask them if it's in stock (i.e. will they guarantee a shipping
date). Check out an A+/Incider for ads.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (10/03/90)

>In article <RikyP4w163w@bluemoon.UUCP>, jerryk (Jerry Kindall) writes:
>people I know have tried to get them, but are waiting for backorders to be
>filled. They don't seem to be available in stores. Anyone know why?

  I just got mine in the mail on Monday.  I got it from Programs Plus.
No backorder or anything.  I'm pretty sure they've got plenty of 'em
in stock.  The only thing that made it take a while for it to get to
me was Rastan.  It was backordered a day or two.

  Rastan is the best game for the GS, IMHO...

		-Greg T.

P.S. Keep those votes for your favorite software coming in.  The
address is:

gt0t+apple2@andrew.cmu.edu

  Be sure to include title and publisher of the game.  Add any
comments you feel are appropriate...

jerryk (Jerry Kindall) (10/04/90)

cse0507@desire.wright.edu writes:

> I thought that the Apple DMA card was having availability problems. A couple
> people I know have tried to get them, but are waiting for backorders to be
> filled. They don't seem to be available in stores. Anyone know why?

We have 'em at Quality Computers, but I won't turn this into a commercial.
Suffice it to say that I don't know of any availability problems.  Don't
mean there isn't one though.