[comp.sys.apple2] Running games that don't quit

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/05/90)

There was a post a short while back about running games that had
been converted to Prodos. The poster said that they usually would
not quit correctly and he had to reboot. How about running them
with Davex active? With Davex I can do a control-reset and get
back to it's control. I realize this probably isn't all that
essential but fixes can be fun too :-).
By the way, how can we discuss classic games without mentioning
"Escape from Rungistan". Boy, I'd love to find a copy of that one.
By the time I figured out about buying software it was no longer
available and my bootleg died years ago.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

seah@ee.rochester.edu (David Seah) (10/06/90)

In article <2045@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>There was a post a short while back about running games that had
>been converted to Prodos. The poster said that they usually would
>not quit correctly and he had to reboot. How about running them
>with Davex active? With Davex I can do a control-reset and get
>back to it's control. I realize this probably isn't all that
>essential but fixes can be fun too :-).

A lot of the Old Classics took pains to protect themselves from control-
reset-happy hackers.  They either would reroute the reset vector to some
internal routine (like a memory purge or just a restart) or just futz
the power-up byte at $3F4 to force a simulated cold-reset.  In either
case, the link back to Davex would be dead.  Davex might even be dead,
too, since alot of your Old Classics treated all of memory as their
stomping ground and, well, stomped over everything...just the way I
like it! :)

...a DOS 3.3 dinosaur in a ProDOS world...that's me :(
--
Dave Seah |       Omnidyne Systems-M         | INET: seah@ee.rochester.edu  |
          | "User-Friendly Killing Machines" | America Online: AFC DaveS    |