[comp.sys.apple2] Internet Apple II Demo Contest?

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/05/90)

Recently I received a beta version of a sound program written by a friend of
a friend.  It stated in the About... page that it had won some sort of
programming contest on America Online.  Now, I don't think that we're any
less intelligent than on any of the pay-services (they have Bitch/Rumor
threads on GEnie too).  Why don't we have a contest like that here?

A notice could be posted once a week or so for a couple months to gain
interest.  Judges would be chosen and would pick winners in several
categories (we'd want to give older two users a separate category, no?).

I don't think there's a lack of innovation in the software field, I just
think we're missing it. I'm as much to blame as anyone for wasting bandwidth
on flamefests directed towards Apple, so here's my apology/idea.

I don't want to take part in judging, because I'd like to compete! :)

So, is anyone interested in taking this up?  It could be a right welcome
thing for us to do, considering most of the traffic here this month.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
Apple II Users Unite! Storm the New Product Announcement and Demand Justice!

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct4.202719.15398@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>A notice could be posted once a week or so for a couple months to gain
>interest.  Judges would be chosen and would pick winners in several
>categories (we'd want to give older two users a separate category, no?).

Different categories for //e and GS, with sub-categories in each like:
- Best animation
- Best sound effects
- Best graphics (more toward mostly static pictures)
- Best hack (a/k/a most fascinating abuse of undocumented features)
- Best "you-can't-do-that-on-an-Apple II" (like VM or multitasking)
- Best half-finished utility (those count as demos...)

Enter one demo into several categories if so desired.  No commercial
software may be entered.  (these are suggestions; comments welcome).

>I don't want to take part in judging, because I'd like to compete! :)

Me too.  Make the deadline late January so I can finish up some stuff ;->

>Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing

Could somebody post the "Z" demo to comp.binaries.apple2?

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (10/05/90)

In article <28498@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy
McFadden) says:

>Different categories for //e and GS, with sub-categories in each like:
>- Best animation
>- Best sound effects
>- Best graphics (more toward mostly static pictures)
>- Best hack (a/k/a most fascinating abuse of undocumented features)
>- Best "you-can't-do-that-on-an-Apple II" (like VM or multitasking)
>- Best half-finished utility (those count as demos...)

Hmm, I think there would be enough GS entries in these subcategories
but if the ratio of gs to non-gs stuff entered is going to be anything
like it has been for the past year or so, we're going to have
a few non-gs programs running unopposed :-)

I would love doing some serious programming on my //c with 65802
but I don't have any programming environment that's worthwhile...
My assembler is dos 3.3.... My c compiler is hyperc....
The mini-assembler (which I have written plenty of small
programs with) don't do 65802 code, and it can't be disassembled
either, so...

How about an all-applesoft category :-)

ccrovac@yogi (Paul Hirose) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct4.202719.15398@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>threads on GEnie too).  Why don't we have a contest like that here?

	I think this would be a great idea!

>I don't want to take part in judging, because I'd like to compete! :)

	One person signed up for the contest already!

It might be a bit difficult to actually run though.  AOL (and others)
are convenient because you can upload to them binaries and all that.
Here on the net, we'd have to make sure we shrink and binscii, or
compress and uuencode or whatever scheme you'd do.  Then, hopeully we
would be able to find an anonymous ftp-site to put all the stuff, unless
you expect to overload the net (comp.binaries.apple2) with submissions.

I dont think we need formal judges, although it would make things a LOT
easier.  We could just have an address where anyone on the net is free
to send in their votes for their favorite piece of software that was
entered into the contest.  Admittedly, it would be more hassle, but
I think it'd be a bit more fair.  I guess it depends on the criteria.
If you're judging the quality of the code, we'd need someone like
Matt or Dave or any of those other Apple-wizzy people.  If you want
to judge "usefullness" or "how 'neat' the program is to the general
public" have mail in votes.

Winner gets access to the Net :)

Paul Hirose
pthirose@ucdavis.edu

|  Internet   pthirose@ucdavis.edu     : USnail Mail      : "Violence is the  |
|  BITNET     pthirose@ucdavis         :   Paul Hirose    :  last refuge of   |
|  UUCP       ucdavis!pthirose         :   230 A St, #18  :  the incompetent" |

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (10/06/90)

"Z" demo?  Never heard of it... are you talking about MR. Z?

I'll volunteer to be a judge, considering I don't do much programming.  I am
always looking for some honest effort put forth as far as programming goes on
the GS.  Don't worry, my mind hasn't been poisoned by FTA.  :)  As a matter of
fact, I've even got a few demos done by local friends of mine.

If you need to contact me, check my sig below.  Thanks!  Looking forward to
all these gnarly GS and //e demos!

    Reardon--Magic with an attitude.  Do not walk the metaplanes alone.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon

"Hey Horace, there's more drek goin' on out there than you can dig even when
you're hotwired.  Y'catch?"
             -- From the hit simsense, _Hamlet 2050_, Elan Vital Productions.