[comp.sys.apple2] Appletalk and Apple II c and e

crb+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles R. Bartel) (10/05/90)

I'm doing some connection research for my daughter's pre-school. They
have several Apple II c and e computers. They would like to link them
together to share software on a common hard drive.

Can anyone tell me if AppleTalk is supported on those two versions of
the Apple II? If it is not built in, is it possible to add a card for
AppleTalk? Also, if an Appletalk LAN is set up, can an Appleshare server
be set up on this Apple II network to accomplish the goal?

Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Thanks
Chuck Bartel

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/05/90)

The Apple //e can indeed support AppleTalk, with a card you can get from
Apple Computer, Inc.  Depending on which model //c's you have, they may
have some preliminary AppleTalk support built in, but I don't think
Apple ever got around to actually implementing it; I hope someone can
prove me wrong.  Otherwise, there's not much you can do with the //c's;
they're closed machines.  And YES, an AppleShare server CAN be set up to
support this setup.  However, the server itself must run on a Mac.
There is no AppleShare server software that will run on a II (yet :).  I
don't know if this is possible with the Apple // Workstation card (the
AppleTalk card), but on a IIgs, which has AppleTalk built it, you can
even boot from a server if it's set up for it.  WITHOUT a disk drive.
No existing Mac can do that!!
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/07/90)

In article <kb3=dyu00VpHI1JEtN@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
[ about //c & appletalk ]
>There is no AppleShare server software that will run on a II (yet :).  I
>don't know if this is possible with the Apple // Workstation card (the
>AppleTalk card), but on a IIgs, which has AppleTalk built it, you can
>even boot from a server if it's set up for it.  WITHOUT a disk drive.
>No existing Mac can do that!!

Indeed, an Apple //c can also boot off of AppleTalk.  It's been said before
that the //c is the perfect low-cost diskless workstation for schools,
and it's true!  Especially the //c+.  I've got the source code to prove it
in the //c Tech Ref Manual.

>Jeffrey Hutzelman
>America Online: JeffreyH11
>Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
>
>>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

Amen.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
Apple II Users Unite! Storm the New Product Announcement and Demand Justice!

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct6.175655.1515@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>that the //c is the perfect low-cost diskless workstation for schools,

I was just wondering...how can the IIc be a "diskless workstation" when it has
a built-in disk drive? :-)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/07/90)

In article <2094@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.uucp (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>I was just wondering...how can the IIc be a "diskless workstation" when it has
>a built-in disk drive? :-)

On the assumption that you really want an answer despite the "smiley":
If the files being accessed are not contained on the local disk, then
in effect the terminal/computer is functioning in a "diskless" mode.

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (10/08/90)

In article <2094@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER)
says:

>In article <1990Oct6.175655.1515@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>(Desdinova) writes:
>>that the //c is the perfect low-cost diskless workstation for schools,
>
>I was just wondering...how can the IIc be a "diskless workstation" when it has
>a built-in disk drive? :-)

Because it can (Supposedly) boot off of the server. With a server and R/W
disk access to it, there is really no need for the floppy. (Although from
the amount of times the local servers here at Behrend have crashed, I would
save the stuff to disk anyways!)

>-
>Scott Alfter                             _/_
>                                        / v \ Apple II:
>Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
>   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/
| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  | Cleveland FreeNet: aj670 \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |