[comp.sys.apple2] Apple II Dream Setup!

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (10/07/90)

The Apple IIGS Dream System:

Rom 01 GS with the following:::
        Ram Slot: 2 Ram cards (AE or equivilent, Max'ed out)
                        AE RamKeeper w/Slot mover
        Slot 7: Apple DMA SCSI Card w/ 40 MByte or higher
        Slot 6: Cirtech's Duet card
                1 5.25" Floppy
        Slot 5: 2 AE SuperDrives
        Slot 4: Mouse
        Slot 3: Video
        Slot 2: AE TransWarp GS (or equivilent)
        Slot 1: SSC hooked up to printer
                Modem hooked to port

Seems overloaded? Well, not really. Partion the HD into a P8 and a GS/OS
section. GS/OS can handle any size drive, even though P8 won't recognize it if
it is greater than 32 Mbytes. The RamKeeper could hold your system disk, so
that returning to GS/OS would not only be fast, but would begin recognizing the
GS/OS partion. Putting the Cirtech board in slot 6 is just simple logic. How
many 5.25" drives do YOU see connected to a Mac. Besides, they don't get all
that much use anyways with 3.5" disks as cheap as they are.

As for the AE SuperDrives, I wonder if they will be able to handle 1.44 Meg
when using Duet? That could make life a LOT easier. The mouse and video are
kinda stuck, but that's all right. The TWGS (or ZipGS, whichever can get to me
first when I need it, as well as whichever is most reliable) could be beefed up
with the ASIC chips to the 17 Mhz. range, or possible 25 Mhz. if the companies
expectations hold out as well as they have.

The only problem would come from the SSC in slot 1. That could be a pain in the
behind, but after all, how hard is it to save the session printing until you're
out of the term program? Just switch the control panel around, boot up a good
command line processor like Davex or the Orca shell, and presto, you're
printing out the logs.

Now to just wait until these things all come out! (Hmmm, I wonder if the Duet
will be able to handle SoftPC for the Macs. Just think, a IIe, IIGS, Mac, and
IBM all rolled into one! Makes the old mouth start to water!) This is just what
the IIGS needs to give it a shot in the arm! (Any chance that Duet will support
color? Or a Mac RGB monitor? And allow the GS to use it in native mode? Regular
Mac graphics, with SQUARE PIXELS!) It'd be worth buying a IIGS again if we
could get all of this in one little box...

Ya gotta love the thought!

                                                                    ...Sal

| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  | Cleveland FreeNet: aj670 \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/07/90)

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>        Slot 5: 2 AE SuperDrives

Good.  But if you're only going to buy one drive, and add another later,
I have a piece of advice:

Make the first drive an Apple drive.  It's faster to get it repaired
most of the time because if your Apple dealer is an Authorized Apple
Service Center, or there's one in town that is, they can probably fixit,
MAYBE after ordering parts from Apple.  For AE's drive, you have to ship
it to AE, wait, and ship it back to you.  Make the second drive an AE
drive.
Definitely.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

In article <90279.205559SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
<The Apple IIGS Dream System:
<
<Rom 01 GS with the following:::
<      [STUFF DELETED]
<        Slot 2: AE TransWarp GS (or equivilent)
<        Slot 1: SSC hooked up to printer
<                Modem hooked to port
<The only problem would come from the SSC in slot 1. That could be a pain in the
<behind, but after all, how hard is it to save the session printing until you're
<out of the term program? Just switch the control panel around, boot up a good
<command line processor like Davex or the Orca shell, and presto, you're
<printing out the logs.
	Doesn't the TransWarp simply suck power from the slot that it's in?
If so then it doesn't matter if it's in slot 3 or 4.. Actually I think they
say that in the documentation. I remember some people complaining that
that was said, but the actual cable they gave to connect to the CPU slot
wasn't long enough to do it from one of the two slots (3 or 4).

<Now to just wait until these things all come out! (Hmmm, I wonder if the Duet
<will be able to handle SoftPC for the Macs. Just think, a IIe, IIGS, Mac, and
<IBM all rolled into one! Makes the old mouth start to water!) This is just what
<the IIGS needs to give it a shot in the arm! (Any chance that Duet will support
<color? Or a Mac RGB monitor? And allow the GS to use it in native mode? Regular
<Mac graphics, with SQUARE PIXELS!) It'd be worth buying a IIGS again if we
>could get all of this in one little box...
>
>Ya gotta love the thought!

	No I don't! Thats because the Duet -won't have- square pixels. That
has almost completely removed even the idea of buying it from my head. As
I've said, I don't want a standalone Mac.. A Mac inside my GS would be very
'neat' and fun, but not if it still uses the (slightly behind the times)
GS graphics! One of the only great things about the Mac is its square
pixels. As I said in another post, a Mac without square pixels is just
a GS (in terms of desktop stuff.. don't flame me, I already know how many
advantages the GS has when it comes to sound/text programs/etc).
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/