[comp.sys.apple2] ASIC and Transwarp

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (10/05/90)

I for one have my money waiting for a 17 MHz ASIC 65816 if they can ever
produce. Given that they are supposed to meet power supply requirements
for the Transwarp, all you need to replace are the processor, the
crystal, and the static RAMs to get upwards of 13 MHz.
According to the article recently posted, 15ns static RAMs are required
at 13 Mhz; does anyone know just how fast you can get static RAMs, how
expensive they are, and just how fast would you have to go to get even
faster speeds out of the Transwarp (say around 15 - 17 Mhz)?

Is the piggyback board (containing the static RAMs) on the Transwarp
simple enough to replace cheaply by a third (forth?) party (or does it
contain some of the Transwarps logic)? If not, any upgrade will require
soldering (YUK - most people will not do that themselves - especially
with no guarentee).

Some enterprising citizen might like to get together the required parts
(with a socketed piggy back board built up if at all possible) and sell
them as a Transwarp upgrade kit. A few phone calls to some suppliers
with some bulk discounts, an add in one or two of the remaining Apple II
magizines and you could probably make a killing.

Can anyone answer any of these questions (please don't bother responding
with "I want one too" - reading through such responses is almost as bad
as reading through all the bitching {justified or not}).

John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/05/90)

In article <520@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>I for one have my money waiting for a 17 MHz ASIC 65816 if they can ever
>produce. Given that they are supposed to meet power supply requirements
>for the Transwarp, all you need to replace are the processor, the
>crystal, and the static RAMs to get upwards of 13 MHz.
>According to the article recently posted, 15ns static RAMs are required
>at 13 Mhz; does anyone know just how fast you can get static RAMs, how
>expensive they are, and just how fast would you have to go to get even
>faster speeds out of the Transwarp (say around 15 - 17 Mhz)?

   There are beasties out there called "ECL RAM" (Emitter coupled Logic)
that operate in the 6-8ns range.  That's SIX to EIGHT, not 68.
They are somewhat expensive, however.
   In any case, going from 13-17mhz would require only a few extra ns.

>John MacLean.
>--
>This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au                   Phone: +61 2 427 2999
>That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac             Fax:   +61 2 427 7072
>Snail:    Tower Technology, Unit D 31-33 Sirius Rd,     Home:  +61 2 960 1453
>          Lane Cove, NSW 2066, Australia.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
Apple II Users Unite! Storm the New Product Announcement and Demand Justice!

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/05/90)

 Unfortunately you can't just pop in the asic,
s;lide in some static rams, and get 13+ mhz.  The
TWGS needs more power to run at 10 mhz+.  The ASIC
by ASIC ;) doesn't fit in a standard 65816.  Its got
some extra sockets or something.  The static rams on
a TWGS aren't easily replaced (require resoldering).
I've got a 9 mhz twgs like lots of other people but
the only person I know with a 12+ is bill heineman.
Nuff said.  ;)

btw, the Zip Chip is supposedly easier to upgrade,
and they claim their chip can handle up to 20 mhz.
Again, the ASIC Ent.'s 65816 doesn't fit in a
standard 65816 socket, so still modifications by Zip
would have to be made to support it.

btw, this is what I remember from a chat w/ asic, I
myself can barely comprehend what a socket is.

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/06/90)

Parik, I read that chat a while back -- the real story is that the ASIC 65816
can directly replace the WDC 65816 in both the transwarp and the Zip but not
the motherboard. This presents no problems to those of us who are planning
to use the chip to upgrade our accelerators (mine will be a Zip GS).

A socket, BTW, is what your TWGS's 65816 is sitting in...

(While I have your attention, thanks for BGSound... I love it!)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

bbs@bluemoon.UUCP (BBS login) (10/06/90)

According to Tony Faddell, the ASIC 65816 clone will be pin-compatible
with the real 65816.  And it should be able to pop right into the
TransWarp.

If I remember correctly, the power boost on a TransWarp was required only
to get a 10 Mhz 65816 to run at 13 Mhz.  If you have a part designed to
run at the desired speed you shouldn't need to boost the power.  But you
may need to expand the cache.  The TW GS's cache is pretty small, and I
believe you won't see much difference between 13 and 17 Mhz on the TW GS
because of it.

BTW, let's stop calling ASIC's 65816 clone "the ASIC".  ASIC is a generic
acronym for "Application Specific Integrated Circuit".  Almost any board
which has custom chips on it uses ASICs.  ASIC Enterprises picked a lousy
name for their company, IMHO, since their 65816 clone will not be
application-specific at all.

JK

In article <520@fawlty.towers.oz> johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) writes:
>I for one have my money waiting for a 17 MHz ASIC 65816 if they can ever
>produce. Given that they are supposed to meet power supply requirements
>for the Transwarp, all you need to replace are the processor, the
>crystal, and the static RAMs to get upwards of 13 MHz.
>According to the article recently posted, 15ns static RAMs are required
>at 13 Mhz; does anyone know just how fast you can get static RAMs, how
>expensive they are, and just how fast would you have to go to get even
>faster speeds out of the Transwarp (say around 15 - 17 Mhz)?

	Since one cycle is the fastest memory can be theoretically
accessed (I think it's not that fast on the Apple II and/or IIGS, but
this will give minimum levels ever necessary), I figured out how fast
the RAM'd have to be to support 17 megahertz by doing the simple calculation
1/17000000  on my HP calculator! (Hey, I always gotta give them a free ad!
HP calculators are the best! Reverse Polish Notation! YEAH!)

	That gives about 59 nanoseconds.. I just remembered that on the
previous Apple IIs at least, you had to get memory for a speed of
the CPU that was twice the real CPU's speed. So presuming that's still
true on the GS, 29 nanoseconds is fast enough for 17 megahertz.
For 25 megahertz, the RAM'd have to be 20 nanoseconds as the lowest
value needed for one cycle/access.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/08/90)

In article <5Hkmq1w163w@bluemoon.UUCP> bbs@bluemoon.UUCP (BBS login) writes:
>BTW, let's stop calling ASIC's 65816 clone "the ASIC".  ASIC is a generic
>acronym for "Application Specific Integrated Circuit".  Almost any board
>which has custom chips on it uses ASICs.  ASIC Enterprises picked a lousy
>name for their company, IMHO, since their 65816 clone will not be
>application-specific at all.

Yeah--even my IIe uses ASICs (the MMU and IOU, if you're wondering.) :-)

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/08/90)

In article <7587@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>1/17000000  on my HP calculator!

While that is a portion of the requisite calculation, the actual specs
need to be determined by a variety of factors, most of which are contained
in the hardware reference manual (although it doesn't try to teach you
digital circuit design).  Don't rely on such a simplistic calculation..