[comp.sys.apple2] Connecting Non-Apple Printer To IIc

cetatman@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (10/04/90)

I have a friend that has an Apple IIc, but does not have a printer.  I have
an old Radio Shack DMP-120 dot matrix printer that I am willing to loan him
if we can get it connected (he realizes that it will only do text and not
graphics).  THe printer has both a parallel and a serial port.  However, the
serial port on the IIc is a five pin port and the one on the printer is only
4 pin.  I am pretty sure I could make a cable if I had the port assignments
for the IIc and a connector.  Does anyone have the port assignments (they are
not in the manual) and/or know where to get a connector for it.

If you can help, please E-mail me since I usually do not read this newsgroup.

Thanks
Curt Tatman

del@pro-sol.cts.com (James Delaluz) (10/08/90)

Curt,
    Here is the Pinout to the IIc modem port:
   pin 1 - data terminal ready output
   pin 2 - transmit dat output
   pin 3 - power and signal ground
   pin 4 - read data input
   pin 5 - data set ready input

You should be able to pick up a connecter at any Radio Shack in the area.
(not the best place to go for the best price, but it is convienent).
Hope this helps your efforts.  I suggest you be very careful in wiring a
cable to connect your printer to the IIc.  Good Luck!

                      Jim DeLaLuz       San Diego, Ca
                      del@pro-sol

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (10/09/90)

Note that if you go to Radio Shack for the connector, look in
the CB section, not the computer section. I guess that connector
is popular for CB microphones.