[comp.sys.apple2] Apple - IBM

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (09/30/90)

        Schools are still hooked on the apple // computers.  They use the
apple computers because of the library of software that they already have.
I should know.....my mom is a teacher.

        I personally use an IBM Compatible 286 machine (soon to get a 386 8-)
and I look at the apple // series as expensive toys.  The //gs I view as a
really expesive toy.....sorry if I insult you, but those are just my views.
I used to be an apple person, until I got an IBM PC (yes the original) from an
uncle.  Ever since then, I've been an IBM person.  I just found the IBM DOS a
lot easier to use, and the computer to be more powerful than the apple //
series

that existed at the time.  It is still my opinion that the IBM is a far better
machine than the apple // line; with it's serious competitor being the Mac.

yet......boy is that a bitch....:-(

Rick - EK

    I am the                                       L8R DAZE!!
(>*-----------*<)            \\
   \ Electric \               \\ Out of Mind
    \ :-}  :-} \       (X)*****))>>>>and>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
     \  Knight  \             // Out of Sight
    (>*----------*<)         //                        PEACE!

                     UUCP:  uunet!harper!martinez

(bounced to this net by request)

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil
INET: lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com

cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Collin Broad Douglas) (10/03/90)

In article <0.apple.net2@pro-grouch> lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:

>        Schools are still hooked on the apple // computers.  They use the
>apple computers because of the library of software that they already have.
>I should know.....my mom is a teacher.
>
>        I personally use an IBM Compatible 286 machine (soon to get a 386 8-)
>and I look at the apple // series as expensive toys.  The //gs I view as a
>really expesive toy.....sorry if I insult you, but those are just my views.
>I used to be an apple person, until I got an IBM PC (yes the original) from an
>uncle.  Ever since then, I've been an IBM person.  I just found the IBM DOS a
>lot easier to use, and the computer to be more powerful than the apple //
>series
>
>that existed at the time.  It is still my opinion that the IBM is a far better
>machine than the apple // line; with it's serious competitor being the Mac.
>
>yet......boy is that a bitch....:-(
>
>Rick - EK
>
>    I am the                                       L8R DAZE!!
>(>*-----------*<)            \\
>   \ Electric \               \\ Out of Mind
>    \ :-}  :-} \       (X)*****))>>>>and>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>     \  Knight  \             // Out of Sight
>    (>*----------*<)         //                        PEACE!
>
>                     UUCP:  uunet!harper!martinez
>
>(bounced to this net by request)
>
>UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider
>ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil
>INET: lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com

  Opinions vary.  I personally wouldn't trade my souped up GS for any kind of
  IBM clone.  286's and 65816's are both 16 bit processors but the 65816 is
  a better processor (as far as I'm concerned).

You idea of the Apple // being a toy is probably pretty dependant on the
kind of hardware you have.  How about an Apple //e with an 8Mhz zip
chip and 3 megs of RAM, a 60 meg HD with a DMA SCSI cardrunning Publish It III
That would
really smoke any 286 machine (I've got some benchmarks of you'd like to
see them -- kinda interesting).

I do a lot of things on my GS that can't be done effectively on an IBM.
I guess it all just depends on what you want it for.

As far as just simply being a better machine.  Well, I've always disliked
Intel based machines (I really do have reasons but it's long and drawn out)

 I like IBM R&D (just look at the RISC 6000.  WOW!) but Intel isn't my
 cup if tea (neither is Microsoft for that matter.)

We could trade ideas in mail if you'd like but it might not be a good idea
to do it in Comp.sys.apple2.

       Collin Douglas

       cbdougla@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

bigd@pro-gsplus.cts.com (Dave Adams) (10/07/90)

You have got to be kidding! An IBM is easier to use than an Apple II??????
I'm a teacher and I am considered to be some kind of computer whiz because I
happen to own one. Our foreign language department ordered a Packard Bell
clone and there isn't a day that goes by that they aren't asking me how to use
it! They have had it a year and still don't know how to install programs. When
I put these same teachers in my GS lab they take to the machine like it is
perfectly natural. How can you say that IBM's are easier to use than a GS?
If you want good graphics on an IBM you have to buy a VGA card. If you want
sound you can't even begin to compare to the GS. All of this is standard on my
GS.  I know that it sounds trite but the best computer is the one people use.
In my school that is the GS.
Have a Nice Day!

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/08/90)

In article <0.apple.net2@pro-grouch> lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) writes:
>really expesive toy.....sorry if I insult you, but those are just my views.
>I used to be an apple person, until I got an IBM PC (yes the original) from an
>uncle.  Ever since then, I've been an IBM person.  I just found the IBM DOS a
>lot easier to use, and the computer to be more powerful than the apple //
>series

	AAARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!! I Just CAN'T believe this!!!!

>that existed at the time.  It is still my opinion that the IBM is a far better
>machine than the apple // line; with it's serious competitor being the Mac.

	It is still my opinion that the IBM is a far worse machine than the
	Apple // line. And don't say I never used an IBM.  I've used an
	IBM from the first PC, then XT, AT, and now 386 20 MHz, I still don't
	like much to use it except when what I need is only available on
	those machine and I can't find a replacement on others machine at
	tiem time and place. However, I do find out that Messy-DOS is easier
	then VAX/VMS... (note that I don't say VAX/Ultrix :-)
cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (10/09/90)

Here we go again with "comparisons". More like personal preferences, don't you
think?

I mean, try to convince a Cadillac owner that a Mercedes is a better car.

Each computer has it's advantages and disadvantages.  I got into using IBM's
and clones at work and migrated into consulting/VAR with it because there just
aren't many jobs available for an Apple ][ consultant and no VAR opportunities
to speak of.

I love Appleworks and use it for my serious word processing along with Timeout
and Ultramacros.  But I use Lotus 123/Quattro for my serious spread sheets.  I
started using Managing Your Money and Howardsoft's Tax Preparer on my Apple ][
with a hard drive but switched to the MS-DOS versions of both programs when
they became more versitile on the IBM side.

I run a Proline BBS on an Apple ][e, but do most of my telecommunications on
my 386 clone.

I refuse to say which machine is 'better'; rather, I choose the applications I
prefer and then run them on the appropriate platform.  Since I have several
opportunities to do task-switching and don't have a GS, those tasks are run
under Desqview on the clone.

To each his own!
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A