[comp.sys.apple2] A low blow from Apple

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (09/11/90)

I think Apple has delt the Apple II world a low blow this month.

They have announced that effective in October they will drop the
Apple II Technical Bulletin which has been published for the past
couple of years, and replace it with the Educational Technical Bulletin.
The reason being they want to dilute it with Mac items, or perhaps I
should say over-run it with Mac items.. as they have already done
with user group mailings and developer publications.

However the sister publication "Mac Technical Bulletin" remains
untouched, and continues to be published (without Apple II items, natch!)..

Looks to me like one more vivid attempt to banish the words Apple II
from a visible profile.. At this rate, pretty soon they will be calling
the company "The Big Mac Computer Company" to further banish the word
Apple.

--
   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

In article <1990Sep11.000230.23140@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>I think Apple has delt the Apple II world a low blow this month.
>
>They have announced that effective in October they will drop the
>Apple II Technical Bulletin which has been published for the past
>couple of years, and replace it with the Educational Technical Bulletin.
>The reason being they want to dilute it with Mac items, or perhaps I
>should say over-run it with Mac items.. as they have already done
>with user group mailings and developer publications.
>
>However the sister publication "Mac Technical Bulletin" remains
>untouched, and continues to be published (without Apple II items, natch!)..
>
>Looks to me like one more vivid attempt to banish the words Apple II
>from a visible profile.. At this rate, pretty soon they will be calling
>the company "The Big Mac Computer Company" to further banish the word
>Apple.
>
>--
>   bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL:BSHERMAN

Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's very expensive and not
very helpful unless you're in a school lab situation or other heavy-duty,
lots of Apple IIs-together lab, where 99% of the customers for this publication
are?

No, that would be logic, and we can't have that in comp.sys.apple2.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

In article <44681@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

>Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that it's very expensive and not
>very helpful unless you're in a school lab situation or other heavy-duty,
>lots of Apple IIs-together lab, where 99% of the customers for this publication
>are?
>
>No, that would be logic, and we can't have that in comp.sys.apple2.

I have already received enough mail to drive home the point that of all the
ill-tempered responses I've posted, this is one of the most.

I've previously stated in this newsgroup that it can be a real downer to read
because there are a lot of people out there who will treat every move Apple
makes, factual or rumored, as another step in the Illuminati-inspired
conspiracy to kill the Apple II and drive those who purchased it insane.

Although it makes sense to look at the people who were actually purchasing the
Apple II Technical Bulletin (to my understanding, mostly schools and dealers,
as it's a not-incredibly-thick monthly magazine with A+/inCider types of
information and costs $125/year) and gear it more to their needs, even a
name change is perceived as an insult and a threat.

The customers of this thing (again, TO MY UNDERSTANDING) tend to be schools
who have lots and lots of Apple IIs, often connected to Macintoshes through
AppleTalk networks.  The customers are looking for solutions for problems
they'll encounter in such situations (slow network booting, programs that
work on many Apple platforms, problems that don't show up often but will if
you have lots of Apple IIs together).  Since they're paying good money for
this, I think it makes great sense to give them what they need.

But that's what they need.  If it turns out you're not part of that target
audience anymore, please don't continue subscribing.  Just because Apple
publishes a journal doesn't mean we think our customers should behave that
way.  We also publish _develop_, which has shown how to do CD-ROM audio access
programmatically from an Apple II and will, in the next issue, show how to
write an Apple IIgs Printer Driver.  We don't expect every user to do those
things, either.

Please don't feel so threatened in your use of the Apple II that an attempt
by Apple to please a segment of the customer base is seen as "telling you
what to do with your computer."  Do what you want.  You paid for it.  We
created it to empower you to do great things.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (09/12/90)

Matt,

Even though I understand your defensive position towards apple, and your
valiant efforts to fend back any rumors or murmurs that could indicate the
demise of the Apple II series at the hand of Apple Computer, we can not
possibly ignore certain facets of Apples moves that do tend to support the idea
that Sculley and Co. are not really very interested in pushing the Apple II
series - at least not as much as Macintosh.

Let us look at the facts:

-  During the rather pathetic on-line conference several months back on several
services, users were told to look for a new and aggressive marketing startegy
for the apple II  line from Apple.  Queried as to print and TV ads, the
response was 'we do not believe them to be effective' (or something to that
effect).  Now I have seen quite a few TV ads for Macintosh and a multitude of
print ads for Macintosh - yet none in the same or similar publications for the
Apple II.  I guess Apple prefers to use ineffective advertising methods solely
for Macintosh...  Furthermore, I recall that after the 'Gasee-Fiasco', several
full page 'state-of-the-apple' ads graced the pages of MacWorld and Macuser and
other publications.  The 'Open Letter From Sculley' appeared in the GS buyers
guide because it was 'free', yet I have not seen any similar efforts or ads
with Sculley's letter in  A+/Incider, Nibble, or any other Apple II specific
publication.  Then there is apples presence at the AppleFest (which I hear will
be corrected in Dec.) because "it is too costly to attend so many shows".  Yet,
Apple is there in full force at almost all Macintosh Shows.  Need I remind you
that there is but one Apple II show, yet several Macintosh shows each year...

-  A videotape is circulated to 10,000 teachers with Sculley on it that
stresses the importance to deliver a loc cost Macintsoh with color to schools,
and that Apple will do so.  No mention of the Apple II gs, or any evolutionary
development on that one...  In the wings are the new low-cost Macintosh, which
is rumored to have an Apple //e emulation card available for it.  As an older
issue of Develop stressed, Apple IIe compatibility is much more important for
schools that Apple IIgs compatibility.  What does that leads us to believe that
Apple plans for schools - in my humble opinion, more Macintosh penetration, and
less Apple II presence...

Need I go on?  I do not think so!

Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that Macintosh is wonderful technology, and
I also think that Sculley has done a pretty decent job in the past to make
Apple what it is now.  Neverthless, I do believe that the two-faced treatment
Apple Computer of this decade is giving the Apple II and its customers deserves
the pointing finger and the cry of "J'accuse!".  Unless apple is deliberatiely
engaged in a policy of disinformation (now, that would be a new one) I believe
the signs are rather clear.   Furthermore, the apathy of Apple Computer towards
its installed Apple II user base, and the lack of education of its user base
has created too big a rift, in my opinion, to be bridged by any miraculous new
CPU or new development.  If Apple had less of a chicken-shit attitude (typical
of the corporate mind) and more of the innovation and dedication that gave it
its start, maybe we would be better off, and Apple II and Macintosh machines
would be in a state of harmony and integration (as they could be).

Unfortunately, Apple believe strongly that Macintosh=68000 based, and Apple
II=65xxx based - ignoring the fact that both names concern a concept, not an
architecture.

I respect your efforts, Matt, but I just wish you would be right in your
optimism.  Unfortunately, we both know what goes on...

Harry

Harry, for someone who seems to be on top of things, I find it hard to believe
that you can't understand some basic distinctions.

We feel television and mass-market print advertising is not cost effective
for the Apple II.  If we felt it was not cost-effective for all products, we
obviously wouldn't do it.

Whether that's right or not is a totally separate discussion, but you seem
obsessed with the idea that Apple should treat the Apple II exactly like it
treats the Macintosh - if one gets print ads, the other should; if one gets
new CPUs, the other should; etc.

This is, frankly, ridiculous.  They're not the same computer and no one around
here thinks they are.  They're bought for different purposes by different
people and spending millions of dollars to satisfy my or yours or anyone's
sense of "parity" when it doesn't make economic sense is quite ludicrous.

If you need thousands of ads per week from Apple to prop up your choice to buy
an Apple II in your mind, then I'm afraid you're going to be perpetually
frustrated.  We look very carefully at advertising and try to place it where
it can do the most good.  You see Apple ads for Macintosh a lot, but pay more
attention to *where* you see them.  You'll note a pattern if you do.

Sculley's letter is now appearing in A+/inCider and will be available to other
publications if they're interested.  It's not an "ad", it's an open letter.
That means other people can publish it if they ask for permission.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a multi-million dollar effort from
Apple to convince the world that the Apple II is the best machine ever, and
that you were right to buy one and all those people who make fun of it are
just total spam-brains.  That's not what we do.  We make personal computers to
empower individuals to do great things.  If you've been empowered, we've
succeeded.  We're not going to spend money to keep convincing you of this.

(Spam, incidentally, is a trademark of Hormel, Inc.)

cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) (09/13/90)

In article <44737@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>Whether that's right or not is a totally separate discussion, but you seem
>obsessed with the idea that Apple should treat the Apple II exactly like it
>treats the Macintosh - if one gets print ads, the other should; if one gets
>new CPUs, the other should; etc.

    Any line of computers that doesn't have a new CPU in 4 years in dead
or nearly so. The PDP-11 series has had a new CPU in the last 4 years.
The Apple hasn't. Apple's Apple II "plan" has fermented anger among it's
user base. It is very well deserved anger.

				- Mark Cromwell

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/13/90)

In article <35793@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) writes:
>    Any line of computers that doesn't have a new CPU in 4 years in dead
>or nearly so. The PDP-11 series has had a new CPU in the last 4 years.
>The Apple hasn't. Apple's Apple II "plan" has fermented anger among it's
>user base. It is very well deserved anger.

I for one have been mystified by the constant flux of new computer models
that offer no apparent advantage over others than merely a more recent
date of introduction into the market.  In fact, some (like the PCjr) have
flopped; newer does not mean better.

Wasn't the Apple //c+ introduced more recently than 4 years ago?  (I
honestly don't recall when it was.)  A fundamental problem with the Apple
II line is that its instruction set architecture depends on the 65xxx
series microprocessor, and to put it mildly there hasn't been much
improvement in that technology in recent years.  WDC has made claims
about what COULD be done, but what they HAVE done has not been very
impressive.  On the other hand, the 68xxx and xxx86 microprocessor
families have been in a race for improved speed and capability that have
at this point left the 65xxx architecture way behind.  Thus, there really
isn't a strong competitive position for the 65xxx family now.  The main
selling point is binary compatibility with existing software, but even
that is becoming less of an advantage as less and less commercial
software has been produced for the 65xxx family systems in recent years.

That is not to say that improved systems using the current 65816 are not
possible; they are.  However, they're not likely to compete with systems
based on more highly developed CPU architectures, and as time goes on the
competitive situation will become even worse for the 65xxx machines.

(I don't think in the long run the 68xxx and xxx86 architectures are
going to win, either, but they certainly dominate the market today.)

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/13/90)

In article <44737@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:

[response to a posting re how Apple markets the AppleII vs. Mac]

>We make personal computers to
>empower individuals to do great things.  If you've been empowered, we've
>succeeded.  We're not going to spend money to keep convincing you of this.

As a supporter of both the GS and the Mac, it's nice to hear that Apple
tries its best to place tools in the hands of people so that they may
be their creative best. It's a very encouraging statement. I for one
would be more likely to do neater things if Apple were to produce a 6-8MHz
GS with a graphics' mode for editing which had a proper aspect ratio. The
possibility of having a faster GS with a 640x400 or 512x384 mode( even b/w)
running an improved AWGS would be wonderful. This would be especially true
if there happened to be an AWMac, and that files could be moved between the
two. This would provide a bridge between the GS and the Mac and given the
ability to read/write Mac disks on the GS and vice versa on the Mac we
would all have the best of both worlds.

However I do think it would be wise for Apple to indicate to its user base
whether or not this is in the cards. The troops are a bit restless!

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (09/13/90)

In article <44737@apple.Apple.COM>, mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
> It sounds like what you're looking for is a multi-million dollar effort from
> Apple to convince the world that the Apple II is the best machine ever, and
> that you were right to buy one and all those people who make fun of it are
> just total spam-brains.  That's not what we do.  We make personal computers to
> empower individuals to do great things.  If you've been empowered, we've
> succeeded.  We're not going to spend money to keep convincing you of this.
>
> (Spam, incidentally, is a trademark of Hormel, Inc.)
> --
> Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are

I bought my Apple //c over six years ago and immediately regretted it. It seems
that the Apple // was dead and that Apple Computer itself was in deep trouble.
However, while I waited for the funeral I used my //c since I couldn't run out
and buy a "real" computer. Six years later the rumours are still flying
( Paul McCartney's got nothing on the // ) and I honestly wouldn't trade my
souped up c for anything on the market. No, that's not a [ insert model ]
slam. It's just a testimonial from a satisfied customer.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (09/13/90)

> I think Apple has delt the Apple II world a low blow this month.
>
> They have announced that effective in October they will drop the
> Apple II Technical Bulletin which has been published for the past
> couple of years, and replace it with the Educational Technical Bulletin.
> The reason being they want to dilute it with Mac items, or perhaps I
> should say over-run it with Mac items.. as they have already done
> with user group mailings and developer publications.

I agree with you that action is a bad sign for Apple II owners but did you
notice in that same mailing they announced the publication of "The Apple II
Guide".  It will be out in late October and will explore a wide range of
topics ranging from recent developments in hardware and software to new,
exciting Hypermedia and video applications.
The way the Guide is planned to be promoted would indicate that user groups
can expect potential new members.  Each user group will initially receive 25
copies.  A flyer will be sent to all Apple Computer Club organizations in
mid-Sept.  User Groups can sell these Guides.

I can see the trend that Apple is taking in regard to the Apple and some of it
is not all bad.  One of the things that used to gripe me was the apparent
division of education user groups from regular Apple user groups.  Apple is
now attempting to cross pollinate these two groups, I think.  One way is to
make the Apple II technical bulletin more education oriented.  What this tells
me is that Apple considers the education market to be stronger than the home
market or the small business markets.  In that same mailing (September 1990)
they encourage educators to contact their local user group and tell them how
to do that.  They also encourage user groups to start education Special
Interest Groups.  They also announced a new newsletter and included a copy of
"EducatorsConnect".
Another positive trend I see is that Apple is still hiring new employees for
Apple II related work.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/13/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 12-Sep-90 Re: A low blow from
> Apple Harry K. Zink@alchemy.UU (3738)

> I respect your efforts, Matt, but I just wish you would be right in your
> optimism.  Unfortunately, we both know what goes on...

Guys,

Even though Matt's reponse was nearly justified, as the publication
concerned _was_ rather insignificant, no-one can ignore that it has been
more than 4 years since Apple did anything significant to Apple ][
architecture. With the noted exception of System 5.0.2, a commendable
job to all involved, nothing repeat nothing has been done to address the
issues confronting the Apple // gs, issues such as speed, dealer
support, price, and graphics resolution that have been obvious since the
machine debuted in 1986.
Now, as the fall quarter proceeds, it appears unlikely that a new,
faster CPU will appear at all, and nothing has been heard about system
6. Am I wrong? Then upload a product announcement (no more rumors), and
by George I'll send you a check!

Lots of positive things seem to be happening, like Dave Lyons getting
into Tools Development, but nothing tangible. And the only consolation
is that a GS appears in a McDonald's commercial involving a preschooler
for about 3 whole seconds.

Why are there so many rumors that Apple is dropping the line? Probably
wishful thinking! Atleast there would be no more suspense, and a company
of die-hards like Barney Stone and Applied Engineering could spin-off a
new company to do the job right!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/14/90)

In article <44737@apple.Apple.COM> mattd@Apple.COM (Matt Deatherage) writes:
>Whether that's right or not is a totally separate discussion, but you seem
>obsessed with the idea that Apple should treat the Apple II exactly like it
>treats the Macintosh - if one gets print ads, the other should; if one gets
>new CPUs, the other should; etc.

No way, Matt. That argument doesn't fly and you know it. It is
reasonable to compare Apple's marketing strategies between its two product
lines. Perhaps the Mac campaign is not what the //'s should be, but at
present, there IS NO // CAMPAIGN!! And we see that as representative
of Apple's regard for the Apple // and that customer base.

Except for the grade-school base and word-of-mouth, no Apple //'s
would be sold to anyone. I stick with the machine because of loyalty
and what I perceive as its unanswered potential. It did not size up in
1984 to the competition, and it certainly doesn't now. Apple's neglect
in delivering a powerful product has driven away all but a few
software companies. University CS departments don't even know what a //gs
is, and the brightest development talent is lured away from the
machine in favor of something that delivers power TODAY.

You seem to imply that Apple "knows what it's doing" with the Apple //
and shouldn't be questioned, much less compared to Mac'vertizing. But
the Mac demonstrates what resources the company has, and how it will
use them when motivated. This is not appearing for the Apple //. Thus,
fewer companies produce things for it, ultimately making it less
useful to the consumer. If not for Claris, Stoneware, and Beagle,
where would the // be?

Matt, this board had been quiet about this issue for a time. But
this community is too talented and informed to stay quiet for long.
And despite the efforts at Kansasfest and other demonstrations of
support, Apple has not delivered an improved product, nor have they
relinquished any rights so that other companies may step in and take
over (read: they haven't dropped the Apple //). Neglect is a sorry
state to be in, especially when compared to Apple's prodigal Mac.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/14/90)

heels on the 65c832 part.  Indeed, I doubt that chip would be worth it.  What the
Apple II line needs right now is a 65020 chip!  Anyone got a million dollars they
want to invest?
*** Randy Hyde O-)

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (09/14/90)

Matt, you are obviously not a "marketeer", as I can tell from your signature.
A true maketeer would spend what was necessary wherever it was necessary to
sell his product.

If Apple wanted to sell the Apple ][, it would market it.
Apple doesn't market it very well, so I can only assume, as thousands of other
have already assumed, that Apple doesn't want to sell the ][ any more.

You don't have to change our minds, or the minds of most who read this
newsfeed.  But Apple does have  to change the mind of John Q. Public who is
trying to decide on what computer to buy.  If he doesn't see ads in Apple
related magazines, if he doesn't see ads in computer magazines generally, if
he doesn't see ads on TV or radio, if he doesn't hear about the computer from
any other media, then most probably he won't buy an Apple ][.

Your company CAN make a difference.  If it doesn't influence the buyer, then
it won't sell the product...simple!

I am a teacher and a consultant.  I am asked all the time what computer to
buy.  If I recommend the Apple ][, it is usually because the person wants the
same type of computer at home that his kid has at school.  Otherwise I
recommend an IBM clone; it's what the person wants to hear and what they see
in the mass media.

If Apple offered a compact, ][ based, computer with the same capabilities and
mass storage that a typical 286/386 Hard Drive based machine offered, I'd
recommed it, but you don't.  As a developer, if you don't develop and market a
competitive product you are out of the market, and right now, you are right
out of the market with the Apple ][GS unless someone knows what he wants from
the start.

Good Luck, you'll need it.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

hzink@alchemy.UUCP (Harry K. Zink) (09/14/90)

Matt,

I would like to respond to your response.  It seems to me that you are reading
more into my original message, and that I apparently have not clarified myself
too well.

I am not asking apple to either launch a multi-million dollar ad campaign to
push the GS;  I am fully aware that the two machines are quite different and
destined for different individuals;  I am not asking that apple treat the GS as
it does the Mac;  I understand that you (and many other people at apple) build
toopls to empower people.

Nevertheless, as I have stated, the visible facts displayed by apple marketing
and administration do not indicate any *relevant* support for the Apple IIgs
platform.

Sure, you are right that you build machines to empower people, but I am sure
that you of all people know the importance of SUPPORT to the end user, as well
as the need to provide the end user with what they need and what the technology
can give them.  Similarly, I am sure you will agree with the need of any sane
computer company to support third party soft and hardware manufacturers and to
convince them that the platform they are working for is a viable one.

Your whole effort to empower people falls flat on its face if all you do is
provide the machine to the end user and then let him figure it out on his own,
in fact, making sure he realizes that he is now on his own, without a net.
That is precisely what it seems like apple has done the past few years.

Once again, let me expose a few facets of this problem:

- Apple has not, since the introduction of the GS, released any significant
upgrade to the machine.  I do not consider the addition of 1 megabyte on the
motherboard, and fixes to the sound and video circuitry any significant
upgrades.  Those were 'maintenance' releases at best.  While every other
computer maker has models (Amiga, Atari,...) that can run circles around the GS
in many areas (except, I admit, sound...), apple seems to believe that a 2.8Mhz
machine, with 640x200 resolution and 16 (forced colors) for apple prices is a
great deal.  Unfortunately, it isn't.

- Apple has never, since the introduction of the GS, specified and pursued any
specific markets for the GS (except education).  The introduction of the
overlay card, though introducing neat new technology, was too late as desktop
video has been dominated by the Amiga by then.  Plus, considering the price of
an apple IIgs desktop video system, the Amiga is still more price competitive
(ignoring the lack of any desktop video software..)

- Apple still does not continue to inform the public (or even its dealers in
some cases) that the Apple II exists.

You see, Matt, empowering people is nice and jolly, but people need to be
informed about what can empower them.  Apple falls flat on its face on that
one, except in the Soviet Union (and the only reason Apple advertises in the
Soviet Union is because the 65xxx series CPU can be imported to the USSR, while
the higher level 68xxxx can not.  Also, the apple II is more familiar in the
USSR than the Mac [at this moment]).

I am not asking for miracles from apple, but I would like to see some actions
and signs from those ivory towers that they do continue to support the Apple II
platform.  Furthermore, your statement that your sole job is to built tools for
people so they can be empowered sounds very grabdiose, but I refuse to believe
that you are ignorant as to the importance of marketing and market positioning.
If you build a better mousetrap, the world will NOT beat a path to your door,
unless you tell it about it.

The impression I am getting right now (and judging by other people's comments I
am not alone in that view), is that apple is so caught up in Macintosh that
they simply do not place any emphasis on the Apple II line.  A computer can
only empower people if they are told how it can do so, and right now no one at
apple seems to be the least bit interested in telling people how the apple II
can empower them.

In fact, I am sure you do not believe yourself that people have sudden visions
of the right computer when they are looking to solve a problem.  PLease, Matt,
tell me how can your tool empower people, if they do not know about it.  In
fact, please tell me how can the Apple II in its current state empower people.
Taking it on step further, in what ways can the Apple II empower people better
that Macintosh can if they were both on the same price platform?

I'm really curious about this.  You see, I know what can be done on the
platform, but all I see is that apple has successfully irritate a good portion
of its user base, managed to turn third parties away from the GS (while
continuing well to push them to the Mac - in fact, a wonderful Macintosh
version of Rescue Raiders is available now...) - in other words, apple is
giving a good indication that the platform is dead and that it does not care
about it.  Now, what kind of a person wouold invest in a platform that is
sending such 'vibes'?  Not many I am sure, and many buyers for which an adequet
GS system would have been enough, are now buying either Macs or PCs.

Building tools to empower people is a good thing to do, Matt, but it is equally
important that these tools remain alive in order to be useful.

Harry

In article <4395@crash.cts.com> mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) writes:

>If Apple offered a compact, ][ based, computer with the same capabilities and
>mass storage that a typical 286/386 Hard Drive based machine offered, I'd
>recommed it, but you don't.  As a developer, if you don't develop and market a
>competitive product you are out of the market, and right now, you are right
>out of the market with the Apple ][GS unless someone knows what he wants from
>the start.

And what processor would this machine be based on?  Would it be less expensive
or more expensive than that OTHER line of Apple computer that I'm not going
to mention.

(Hint-- R&D to invent the processor is expensive)

bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com (Bruce Bean) (09/15/90)

  How can I subscribe to _develop_ ?  It sounds like what I need, if you don't
have to invest $2-300 dollars a year as an Associate Developer or some such.
 Bruce Bean

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!bbean
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!bbean@nosc.mil
INET: bbean@pro-grouch.cts.com

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (09/15/90)

Good comments, Harry.  You've pointed out the key reason why Apple, Inc may
fall on it's face over Apple ][ sales in the future: People don't know about
it's availablility or support.

In November, the largest computer trade show held in the world, Comdex, will
be held in Los Vegas.  Over 300,000 people are expected to attend based on
prior attendance figures.

Will Apple be there?  If they are there, will they be marketing Apple ]['s and
peripherals?  Will Claris be there?  Will they be marketing Apple ][ software?
Will third party hardware and software developers for the Apple ][ be there?

If the answer to the above questions are "no, why should we? It's an IBM based
trade show" then you all know why the Apple ][ is a dead horse, white elephant
or whatever.  It will have no future without an active marketing campaign and
participation by Apple, Inc.

[flames intended]

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (09/16/90)

In article <35793@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) writes:

>    Any line of computers that doesn't have a new CPU in 4 years in dead
>or nearly so.

Would you please explain how you arrive at this conclusion, after defining what
you mean by "dead"? I keep thinking about this but it just won't sink in.

Clearly, one uses tools which are appropriate for the task. I don't run large
scale simulations on micros at all. They require a Cray. But much can be done
with 65816's, 8086's, 68xxx,etc...which is both useful and enjoyable. The GS
is not in the engineering workstation race. Do you feel it should be?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (09/18/90)

>In article <1990Sep11.000230.23140@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>
>bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>>I think Apple has delt the Apple II world a low blow this month.
>>
>>They have announced that effective in October they will drop the
>>Apple II Technical Bulletin which has been published for the past
>>couple of years, and replace it with the Educational Technical Bulletin.
>>The reason being they want to dilute it with Mac items, or perhaps I
>>should say over-run it with Mac items.. as they have already done
>>with user group mailings and developer publications.
>>
>>However the sister publication "Mac Technical Bulletin" remains
>>untouched, and continues to be published (without Apple II items, natch!)..
>>
>>Looks to me like one more vivid attempt to banish the words Apple II
>>from a visible profile.. At this rate, pretty soon they will be calling
>>the company "The Big Mac Computer Company" to furthe banish the word
>>Apple.
IIs-together lab, where 99% of the customers for this publication
>are?
>
>No, that would be logic, and we can't have that in comp.sys.apple2.
>
>--
>Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
>Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
>Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

Don't be a jerk Matt.  You know what he's concerned about.  I think we all do.
It just looks like another sign of lowering the level of support for the Apple
II platform of personal computing (sound logical?).  Admit it to yourself and
to the rest of comp.sys.apple2; Apple Computer, Inc. hasn't been doing much
for the II line for years.  Sure, there's been a few neat things; just not
much of a showing of any commitment to it.  I think deep down, we all feel the
end nearing for Apple II(xx) support, and it's got us all a bit uneasy,
especially when we hear negative news.  Show a little support and explain the
moves Apple is making if you see one of us getting uneasy.  Don't be a jerk
about it.

--
                                                                      /
                                                       \             / /

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil
INET: lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com

cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) (09/18/90)

In article <15184@yunexus.YorkU.CA> philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) writes:

>Would you please explain how you arrive at this conclusion, after defining what
>you mean by "dead"? I keep thinking about this but it just won't sink in.

  Dead = no one will buy it anymore, or possibly that no one will write
software for it, or possibly no one will use it anymore.  But actually, I meant
Apple wants the series dead. The fact  that Apple hasn't put out a significant
new Apple II box in 4 years proves they are trying to kill it.

  In this business where processing power doubles every 5 years, the Apple II
has languished with performance less than that of any competitor in the same
price range. With each passing month that Apple Computer fails to bring out
an Apple II with a better price/performance the deader the series gets deader.
The software industry seems to recognize that Apple wants the II dead. How
many new Claris Apple II products have there been in the last 4 years? How
many companies do you know that dropped the II?

   Apple Computer could have easily brought out a machine with double or
more the speed, competitive graphics and competitive pricing. The fact that
they have not leads me to one of two conclusions: 1) they are incompetent,
2) they want to see the series to die.

   Apple has done nearly everything they could to make the series rot on the
vine. I would be very happy if Apple would come out tomorrow with a box
that was competitive with a 4 year old Amiga. But alas it seems they want
us all to buy $2000+ monochrone Macs with a  $500 card to run old Apple IIe
stuff. As far as Apple is concerned, it seems they think the line is dead.

>Philip McDunnough
>University of Toronto
>philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>[my opinions]

					- Mark Cromwell

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/19/90)

In article <36597@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) writes:

[ lots of stuff re the GS being dead, lack of hardware improvements,etc...]

>Apple wants the series dead. The fact  that Apple hasn't put out a significant
>new Apple II box in 4 years proves they are trying to kill it.

Why? I don't agree.

>  In this business where processing power doubles every 5 years, the Apple II
>has languished with performance less than that of any competitor in the same
>price range. With each passing month that Apple Computer fails to bring out
>an Apple II with a better price/performance the deader the series gets deader.
>The software industry seems to recognize that Apple wants the II dead. How
>many new Claris Apple II products have there been in the last 4 years? How
>many companies do you know that dropped the II?

Faster computers,etc... are not what everyone needs/wants. If that were the
case I would recommend you get a RISC computer or a 486 etc...I do agree
that the price of the GS has to be lowered. I also would love to see a
faster( not too fast) GS with a good monochrome resolution which makes use
of monitors used by the lower end Mac products.

As far as companies dropping support of the GS, many have and new ones have
come in. If there's a market you can be sure it will be filled.

Actually processing power increases faster than you state. That doesn't
mean that the market at which the GS is aimed at needs it. Take a look
at IBM's PS/1 which is doing quite well. It's hardly a technological
giant.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/19/90)

Actually, If you look in the latest issue of A+ Scully's letter is in that one.
 Right near the front.

mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil

h-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:05:03) Rcvd:   607 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:05:43) Rcvd:  3985 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:06:08) Rcvd:  1576 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:06:35) Rcvd:  1717 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:06:54) Rcvd:   614 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:07:14) Rcvd:   544 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:07:37) Rcvd:  1269 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:08:07) Rcvd:  2369 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:08:31) Rcvd:  1347 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:08:54) Rcvd:  1252 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:09:23) Rcvd:  2225 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:09:55) Rcvd:  2617 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:10:16) Rcvd:   871 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:10:37) Rcvd:   889 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:10:59) Rcvd:   988 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:11:25) Rcvd:  1601 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:11:44) Rcvd:   613 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:12:03) Rcvd:   343 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:12:24) Rcvd:   769 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:12:50) Rcvd:  1744 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:13:10) Rcvd:   626 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:13:32) Rcvd:  1093 bytes to: gnh-igloo!info-apple
(09/17/90 04:13:56) Rcvd:  1288 bytes to: gnh-igloo!ebbs-support
(09/17/90 04:14:23) Rcvd:  1917 bytes to: gnh-igloo!ebbs-support
(09/17/90 04:14:57) Rcvd:  2982 bytes to: gnh-igloo!ebbs-support
(09/17/90 04:15:20) Rcvd:  1132 bytes to: gnh-igloo!ebbs-support
(09/17/90 04:15:29) CONNECTION TERMINATED: carrier lost... (elapsed: 00:14:45)
(09/17/90 04:19:40) COMPLETED: 34 inbound letters processed
(09/17/90 04:45:06) Dial : GNH-STARPORT (1-703-931-0947), 0 msgs waiting
(09/17/90 04:45:41) Modem: CONNECT 2400
(09/17/90 04:46:00) CONNECTION TERMINATED: carrier lost... (elapsed: 00:00:18)
(09/17/90 05:25:05) Dial : PRO-PARTY (1-512-882-1899), 1 msgs waiting
(09/17/90 05:25:42) Modem: NO CARRIER
(09/17/90 05:50:05) Dial : PRO-PARTY (1-512-882-1899), 1 msgs waiting
(09/17/90 05:50:40) Modem: CONNECT 2400

tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) (09/20/90)

I read comp.sys.apple2 mainly for technical content, and skip most opinions.
However, cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) recently wrote some things
that seem to capture the feelings of a great number of posters, and with which
I disagree...

>                                             ...  But actually, I meant
> Apple wants the series dead. The fact that Apple hasn't put out a significant
> new Apple II box in 4 years proves they are trying to kill it.
Corporations exist primarially to make profit. If they don't make a profit,
they don't exist for very long. They don't pay a staff of developers and
support engineers in order to kill a product.

>   In this business where processing power doubles every 5 years, the Apple II
> has languished with performance less than that of any competitor in the same
> price range.
The performance of the IIGS doubled when they released system 5.0. The toolbox
and GS/OS had significant speed improvements, an effort that required a major
investment of time and effort. For a bit of fun, boot up your original system
disk and see how fast the Finder runs...or is your original (like mine) old
enough to contain that funky black & white version. Things HAVE changed!

>              With each passing month that Apple Computer fails to bring out
> an Apple II with a better price/performance the deader the series gets deader.
The ROM 03 machine wasn't a big change, but it did include an extra meg
of memory at no extra charge. That improved the price/performance ratio.

>    Apple Computer could have easily brought out a machine with double or
> more the speed, competitive graphics and competitive pricing.
"Easily"? Have you ever worked on a project to bring out a computer system
that's both a big improvement and compatible with the existing systems?

>                                                               The fact that
> they have not leads me to one of two conclusions: 1) they are incompetent,
> 2) they want to see the series to die.
How about: Apple is not willing to risk money on new hardware because they
don't believe they can recover their investment.

>    Apple has done nearly everything they could to make the series rot on the
> vine.
I'm sure they could have done at least a *few* more things :-) ...

Actually, Mark and I agree on a number of topics. Apple II owners have felt
out of Apple's mainstream since the Apple III came out, followed by emphasis
on the Lisa and Mac. We'd like to see an improved, faster processor and better
graphics. We'd like more independent developers to write software for it.

But I get tired of so many authors assigning evil motives to Apple. I figured
this once Matt D. wouldn't have to be the one to respond!

--Dave "I don't work for Apple, but I once sent them a resume" Tribby

                                   - - - - -
        ARPA: tribby%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM   UUCP: hplabs!hpda!tribby

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/20/90)

>Faster computers,etc... are not what everyone needs/wants.

It's what I need and what I want.  The speed (or shall I say, LACK OF) is
probably the biggest reason so many software companies have pulled.  Even
though new companies are being started, more are
pulling out.  How many GS specific (or //e) games have come out in the last
year?  How many for the Amiga?

>I also would love to see a faster( not too fast) GS

I don't think it's possible to have a computer 'too fast'.  If Apple decided
to make the GS 100Mhz, That'd definitely be better than 4Mhz (If price weren't
an issue, of course).

>Actually processing power increases faster than you state.  That doesn't
>mean that the market at which the GS is aimed at needs it.  Take a look
>at IBM's PS/1 which is doing quite well.  It's hardly a technological
>giant.

Take a look at it's speed (what? 10Mhz?) and it's graphics-->VGA!  I don't
think anyone's asking for the GS to be a technological giant (but if they
make it that, I won't gripe :), but at least equal to other computers in it's
price range.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (09/20/90)

Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making a
truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back to
fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (09/21/90)

Scott Rothstein said
>Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making a
>truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back to
>fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
>scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

I think that about sums it all up.  I would gladly give of ][ compatibility
in order to make the GS the machine it should have been in the first place.

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (09/21/90)

>Robert MacAusland said:
>>Scott Rothstein said:
>>Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making a
>>truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back to
>>fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
>>scottr@applesauce.bb.ny
>
>I think that about sums it all up.  I would gladly give of ][ compatibility
>in order to make the GS the machine it should have been in the first place.
	There is no way I can understand this mentality.

	If you don't want Apple II compatibility, GET AN AMIGA OR A MAC II
or some other machine.

	You may think I'm not being "faithful" to the Apple II, but that's
JUST what I'm being!  I think I'm one of the people that harp the most about
being fauthful to the Apple II.

	But I see no reason in having a "GS" that's not Apple II compatible.
Are you talking about a machine based on a 65816?  -WHY- if it's not
II compatible? I am ABSOLUTELY serious. Something, ANYTHING, with hardware
multiply and divide instructions would have a major advantage at least in
that one aspect.. (Anything math related would be faster on an otherwise
similar speed CPU as far as I can tell). Also, it sure wouldn't bode well
for Apple to have -3- different types of machines when they don't seem to
be supporting two equally as well as it is.

	You mean for a "GS" you want a machine with neat graphics and
good sound? Get an Amiga. (But it doesn't have sound anywhere near as good as
the GS we currently have that's II compatible!)

	I just wish someone could explain this mentality. Jeez, I screamed
a lot in this post too, huh? (heh heh).
--
        /    Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu     \
        \If cartoons were for adults, they'd be on in prime time./

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (09/21/90)

In article <0093CF947DB21A40.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:

>Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making a
>truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back to
>fit the architecture for the older ]['s.

ARGH!! I am sick of people saying this!!

The speed of the 65816 was (and still is) WDC's problem and had nothing to do
with the ][ compatibility at all.

][ compatibility should not be blamed for the 1 mhz bottleneck, either.

It was Apple's decision to use the Mega II chip. Worse, it was their decision
to keep using it for something it was never designed to do.

Apple knows how to fix the GS without losing any of its features. The problem
is that they won't actually do it unless they think it's an efficient use of
resources. That's a loaded statement and I won't beat the arguments to death
anymore; I just wish Apple management would quit running from the truth.

I wish Ralph Russo the best of luck.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (09/21/90)

In article <9009200536.AA27514@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>Faster computers,etc... are not what everyone needs/wants.
>
>It's what I need and what I want.  The speed (or shall I say, LACK OF) is
>probably the biggest reason so many software companies have pulled.  Even
>though new companies are being started, more are
>pulling out.  How many GS specific (or //e) games have come out in the last
>year?  How many for the Amiga?

If it is speed you want, then why not get a 486. The 386/486 are probably
the best price/performance computers you will find if speed is the only
issue, which I do not agree with. Why do people keep bringing up the Amiga?
I'm frankly getting annoyed at the analogy. There is more to computing
than games. In fact the percentage of games worth buying is very small.
There are excellent opportunities for people to come out with a whole new
approach to computer games, now that we have CD-ROM's, Hypermedia,etc...
It will be refreshing to finally see computers differ from the mundane
one theme games that have been with us for years. There are a few good
arcade type games( from Taito, Xenocide,etc...) but count the number of
games on the Amiga and multiply by $40 and see what you get. People can't
afford to be buying every little 2 minute attention getter. The GS is in
a very good position of having excellent sound tools, new animation tools,
great connectivity to Macs and even to Unix systems. Sure we probably
could do with a faster GS and slightly better graphics. I feel these will
come. If they don't, I have a wonderful computer with some great software
to last me years. The other thing you are forgetting when bringing up the
Amiga is the quality of the people who work at Apple. The GS's OS is just
great. I use and like the Mac. I really like the GS. Both are way ahead
of any other micro OS with wide acceptance that I'm aware of. The PS/1
may have VGA and a 10MHz 286, but it doesn't have GS/OS. I'm not putting
the PS/1 down as I think IBM is thinking along the right lines for what
people want at home. I also think that Apple is in a very good position
to be extremely competitive in that area, using both the GS and the Mac.

>>I also would love to see a faster( not too fast) GS
>
>I don't think it's possible to have a computer 'too fast'.  If Apple decided
>to make the GS 100Mhz, That'd definitely be better than 4Mhz (If price weren't
>an issue, of course).

That's a very BIG "of course". Faster computers require expensive supporting
structures. We aren't at the point of being able to produce these at a
reasonable cost. That being said, I do feel an increase in speed for the
GS is called for. I don't need workstation speed, nor does the GS.

>>Actually processing power increases faster than you state.  That doesn't
>>mean that the market at which the GS is aimed at needs it.  Take a look
>>at IBM's PS/1 which is doing quite well.  It's hardly a technological
>>giant.
>
>Take a look at it's speed (what? 10Mhz?) and it's graphics-->VGA!  I don't
>think anyone's asking for the GS to be a technological giant (but if they
>make it that, I won't gripe :), but at least equal to other computers in it's
>price range.

Well, we will have to see what Apple has in mind, but many PC "power users"
are unlikely to be happy with the 10MHz 286 and are probably having the
same conversation we are having here in another forum.

Also, don't forget that the GS has an excellent OS, networking, a well-defined
SCSI and connections to the Mac which you won't find with the PS/1.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

THINGVOL@LAX.WISC.EDU (09/21/90)

>The speed of the 65816 was (and still is) WDC's problem...
                                       -Todd Whitesel-

What do you mean the speed was WDC's problem? Apple never bought the chips from
them. WDC is capable of producing faster chips and DOES sell faster chips but
Apple is/was not buying from them.

Daniel Thingvold   thingvol@lax.wisc.edu  thingvol@uwlax.bitnet

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/22/90)

In article <54240009@hpindwa.HP.COM>, tribby@hpindwa.HP.COM (David Tribby) writes...

>But I get tired of so many authors assigning evil motives to Apple. I figured
>this once Matt D. wouldn't have to be the one to respond!
>
>--Dave "I don't work for Apple, but I once sent them a resume" Tribby

Thanks Dave for writing a great note.  I too share you feels and
appreciate you taking the time to buck time tide.

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

cse0507@desire.wright.edu (09/22/90)

It seems that Apple has done a pretty thourough job of destroying the GS.
When it first came out I had high expectations and bought one of the Woz editions
(complete with certificate). The PC 500 showed the GS was in third place in
units sold beating out all the MS-DOS clones, all the Macs, and taking thrid
only to two IBM models. It had such great potential, but somebody at Apple
decided that schizophrenia was bad news for the company, and somebody had to
go. Since the Mac was the "new" machine, it was the machine to give the GS
the boot. Apple stopped coming out with hardware upgrades. There has not been
a new GS in the 3 years I have had mine. The Mac on the other hand seems to
have a new model every 6 months. The ROM 03 machine doesn't count since only
tools and other minor upgrades were made. I can still do everything on my
original GS that an 03 machine can. With rumors of Apple introducing a GS board
for the mac line, they now have the excuse to completley stop production of
the GS since there will be an alternative. Education types a ranting since the
wishy-washy signals from Apple over the IIs future are leaving them hanging.
Schools who used to buy 95% Apple II are now faced with MS-DOS. Why invest in a
computer line that has such a dismal looking future. Sure Scully paid lip
service to the II, but there was no action to back it up. IBM on the other hand
saw the break in Apple's stranglehold of the education market are now bending
over backwards to get in. They are giving away thousands of dollars in software
and computers taking a good loss on the deal, but deep pockets knows it will be
worth it. Apple's response seems to be to try and offer lower priced Macs to
schools as an alternative. Big deal. Schools have already invested untold
millions in software, computers, teacher inservice for the II line which may
now be flushed. One of the greatest joke ads Apple put out showed a kid going
into her elementary classroom, having her picture scanned on what looks like a
Mac IIcx and an Apple scanner and printed. Yeah right. One school system I
worked for had a goal of getting one Apple IIe or c system in each classroom
(at about $650 ea.) not to mention a $4,000 setup. Maybe in CA where Apple
gives all those computers away. Anyway, the point is that I still use my GS
almost dailiy and it still does everything it did back when I bought it, but it
could have done so much more. I'm tired of having to scrape and search for
companies that still produce for my machine. I feel like an Atari owner (for
those of you familiar with the migration of most Atari development to Europe)
owning an Orphan. I remember back in my II+ days getting Softalk Mag. where
companies were clamoring to sell me there new stuff each month and interesting
people were doing amazing things with the same machine I had. It looked a lot
like the Mac mags. do today. But Softwalk went bankrupt and suddenly I was
getting A+, then A+ joined incider, and now A+/Incider is getting so thin it
looks like deja vu from Softalk just before going under. I can tick off the
list the signs of a dead machine. Dealers who don't even mention it, software
companies who ignore it, and the size of the magazines covering it shrinking.
Even comapnies with great products for the GS are dying. Applied Ingenuity is
gone, Sierra Online no longer will produce any new titles for the GS, The
company who made Sword of Sudan is gone with no one picking up production, and
Checkmate, publishers of that great term program ProTerm, is dead. There are of
course small oasises of Apple II believers such as the good folks at A2-Central
and the amazing FTA production team, but they are far and few between. Welcome
to the new Apple II world, it will never be the same.

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (09/22/90)

At dinner today, another teacher of Apple computer literacy and I wondered
where Apple Computer, Inc would be today if the III and Mac had never been
products.  That is, if the Apple ][ line had continued as the only line of the
company.

Our feeling was that the ][c would have probably been a state of the art
laptop with an internal hard drive and hi-res screen and the ][gs would have
been on a competitive edge with the 386's of today in price and capability.

Any thoughts along this line?  Where do you think the company would be
financially with this single product line?  Technically?  Especially if all
that brain power were producing Apple ][ computers and peripherals.

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.015000.28653@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>In article <0093CF947DB21A40.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) writes:
>
>>Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making a
>>truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back to
>>fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
>
>ARGH!! I am sick of people saying this!!
>
>The speed of the 65816 was (and still is) WDC's problem and had nothing to do
>with the ][ compatibility at all.
(... some text deleted here ...)

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

Sorry Tood, but that's not the whole story, as I think.

A processor get's as much support as the company is willing to see the
machine where it is running as a machine with future. Do you think that
Intel processors would be so fast and powerful today without IBM's com-
mitment to them and the insurance that they will be used even in future
machines??? With the 68000, it's exactly the same. Without Apple, Atari
and Commodore, the 68000 would still be the same chip as in 1984, perhaps
a little bit faster, but without those new 68020, 68030 and 68040.

And the 65XXX? With a clear commitment from Apple, insuring customers,
software publishers and the  market at all, we would see a true 32 bit
version of the 65816 with one or two years. It's only the problem of
Apple.

If they can preannounce System 7.0, the low cost Macs and a lot of other
stuff for the Mac, why not such clear statements about the Apple II. All
Sculley can do is talking about the past and telling us that Apple is
seeing the "technological limits" of the Apple II.

BTW: Have you recognized that Sculleys letter in InCider/A+ was in one
point different from that one in the Buyers Guide? He states, that "...
the enhancements to the APple II on the drawing board come to
fruition".

A little bit hope is left...

Martin Georg,
Frankfurt, West Germany

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/23/90)

>> The speed of the 65816 is WDC's problem

AMEN.  I'm finally glad somebody posted this.  I was waiting for this.
Apple would be producing 10Mhz GS machines IF THEY COULD GET THE CHIPS!
Please don't remind me about the TWGS.  AE can't get enough of these chips
to handle their customers (I know, I've been waiting quite a while for one).
If someone would build a fast, plentiful, upwards compatible chip, Apple would
release a faster GS.  Till then, the whole point it moot.  Flame the chip
manufacturers, not Apple.  Personally, I can't even blame WDC.  After all,
where would the Apple II be today had they not developed the 65c816?
*** Randy Hyde O-)

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/23/90)

WDC has managed to make a *FEW* fast chips, but in nowhere near the quantities
that Apple needs.  Apple *HAS* purchased WDC chips in the past, but mostly
they buy from other sources who aren't so flaky.  WDC, BTW, does *NOT* from
(whoops, have) in-house production facilities.  They generally have others
(like VLSI) make their chips for them.  No one else besides WDC is currently
producing chips faster than 4mhz (to my knowledge, which, admittedly is old).
*** Randy Hyde O-)

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (09/23/90)

In article <8824@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>where would the Apple II be today had they not developed the 65c816?

Being emulated by a high-speed RISC chip...?

What ever happened to those two college guys who re-worked the 65816?

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/23/90)

>If it is speed you want, then why not get a 486?

1.  I dislike Intel Chips VERY much!
2.  It's not compatible with ANYTHING I have.
3.  I don't have the money. (Even if I did have the $$, I wouldn't get one.)

>if speed is the only issue.

It isn't.

>Why do people keep bringing up the Amiga?

Why do people keep asking this?  It's obviously the closest, comparable
computer to the GS.  It's faster, has better 'supported' graphics and costs
LESS!... although, the sound isn't as good, but I don't think that's why the
GS is so much more.

>There's more to computing than games.

Of course.

>The other thing you are forgetting when bringing up the Amiga is the quality
>of the people who work at Apple.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'quality of people'.  Anyway, that doesn't change
the price or speed of the GS or Amiga.

> The GS's OS is just great.

Well, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it great... but I don't like the
graphical interface (actually, I don't like not having the choice of a text
or graphic interface with GS/OS).

> I use and like the Mac.

I use and dislike the Mac.  Although, I like it's speed.

>I really like the GS.

So do I.  That's why I'm pushing for it to be even better.  I'd like it a Heck
of alot more if it were as fast as it should be (considering it has a graphical
interface.)

>Both are way ahead of any other micro OS with wide acceptance that I'm aware
>of.

Sorry, but there's a heck of alot more messy-dos people than there GS/OS and
MAC combined and most of those people (if not all) think that ms-dos is way
ahead of any other OS.  Although, I personally prefer GS/OS over ms-dos.

>The PS/1 may have VGA and a 10Mhz 286, but it doesn't have GS/OS.

Yeah, but it has VGA and a 10Mhz 286! AAAAAND for about the same (or less)
than the GS!  I don't think GS/OS is an excuse for it being slow OR expensive.

>I also think Apple is in a position to be extremely competitive in that area,

Yeah, IF they speed up the GS and give it VGA comparable graphics.

>using both the GS and the Mac.
                           ---
They very well could be, but what does that have to do with people wanting a
faster GS for their money?  The whole point of my message was that for $1000
I can get a 2.8 Mhz GS with OK graphics (ok, compared to other computers that
cost $1000) or for ALOT less, I can get a 7Mhz Amiga with even better graphics.
(I'm talking about graphics that are supported).

>I don't need workstation speed, nor does the GS.

I do, but I am neither asking for it, nor am I saying the GS should have it,
only that it would be great (of course).  But the GS NEEDS to be AT LEAST 7Mhz.
When I said, "I don't hink it's possible to have a computer 'too fast'.", I was
saying that in reply to this:

>I also would love to see a faster( not too fast) GS.

because, it sounded like he was saying that there was something wrong with
'speed' in itself, which, of course, there isn't.

>We will have to see what Apple has in mind, but many PC "power users" are
>unlikely to be happy with the 10Mhz 286 and are probably having the same
>conversation we are having here in another forum.

What Apple has in mind for the future is irrellevent to the fact that the GS
is too slow and too expensive NOW.  If they speed it up in the future, without
increasing the price, well that's just fine and Jim Dandy, but I'm stil stuck
here with my 2.8Mhz GS for $1000 with only 256k on the motherboard.
I'm sure that a power user wouldn't be happy with a 10Mhs 286 and NASA wouldn't
be happy with a Commodore 64.  What does that have to do with the fact that
the GS is 2.8Mhz at $1000 and every other computer at that price is MUCH faster
than 2.8Mhz.

>Also, don't forget that the GS has an excellent OS, networking, a well-defined
>SCSI and connections to the Mac wich you won't find with the PS/1.

'excellent OS' is an opinion.  There are other people (I'm not one of them)
that believe that MS-DOS is an 'excellent OS'.  The PS/1 can be networked to
other PC's (to the best of my knowledge), an internal HD (SCSI not needed)
and connections to the PS/2.

I'm not pushing the PS/1... I'd take my GS over a PS/1 anyday, but that's
just me.  The PS/1 ALSO has VGA graphics, a 10Mhz CPU, a vast library of
software, and software support you just won't find for the GS.

Also, I don't want to network my GS to a Mac.  I don't want to network my GS
at all.  The GS doesn't NOT have 'well defined SCSI'.  That's EXTRA!  You
have to pay for it.  It doesn't come with the $1000 GS, so that doesn't
justify the price.  Also, so what if it has connections to the Mac?  I don't
have a Mac and I don't want a Mac and MINE isn't connected to a Mac, so, again,
how does that justify the extreme cost and slow speed of the GS?

I just think that a computer that sells for $1000 and has a graphical interface
should at LEAST be as fast as every other computer in it's PRICE RANGE and
have comparable graphics.

Also, just about everything you mentioned that the GS has, has to be bought
extra.  You can buy extra stuff for just about ANY computer (and usually
cheaper for the Amiga) that will do everything you mentioned.  You talk about
Mac compatibility... well, for about $300, you can make an Atari ST Macintosh
compatible.

|                                    |                               |

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/23/90)

In article <1257.26faaa35@desire.wright.edu> cse0507@desire.wright.edu writes:
>... With rumors of Apple introducing a GS board for the mac line, ...

I thought it was supposed to emulate an 8-bit Apple (e.g. //e), not the IIGS.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/23/90)

>Our feeling was that the ][c would have probably been a state of the art
>laptop with an internal hard drive and hi-res screen and the ][gs would have
>been a competitive edge with the 386's of today in price and compatibility.

I agree!  I've thought this since the Macintosh was intruced!  If there was
no Mac, then the GS would be MUCH faster and much more powerful than it is now.

Heres a few quotes from the November '86 issure of A+... The issue that
introduced the IIGS:

pg. 60, 1st column, 1st paragraph.
"THE MAKING OF THE APPLEIIGS" Jeanne Duprau and Molly Tyson
"To the executive staff, the IIx [what the GS was called by the press before
it was released] was an insurance policy.  If the Macintosh didn't work out, AP
Ple would have an alternative machine to position against the IBM PC.
   As it turned out, the Macinstosh didn't need a pinch hitter, and the 65816 p
rocessor chip fell behind schedule.  So no one was surprised when the Brooklyn/
Golden Gate project [project IIGS] came falling down like one bridge it wasn't
code-named after.  In fact, the team leaders were the ones who suggested to the
 executive staff that the project be canceled.
   For six months after that, there was no more talk about a 16-bit Apple II, a
nd Hillman was reassigned to a more mundane task--reducing the cost of the Appl
e II."

Here's something on the speed problem:
Same magazine and issue.  Pg 52. 2nd column 2nd paragraph:
"A TECHNICAL OVERVIEW OF THE APPLE IIGS" Gary B Little
"I do not expect to see developers of business and productivity software stampe
ding to use QuickDraw and the user-interface tools to create Macintosh-like app
lications on the GS.  The reason is simple:  Text-screen operations are much fa
ster than graphics operations, and users want speed.  The speed differential is
 particularly great for applications, such as word-processing programs and comm
unications programs, that frequently update and scroll the screen.
   Ease of use is not really an issue, since programs based on the text-based f
ile-card metaphor, such as AppleWorks, have proven to be just as easy to learn
as those based on the Macintosh desktop metaphor.  Obviously, some business app
lications will use the super-hi-res graphics screen; they include charting and
drawing programs, database programs that work with images rather than text, and
 word-processing programs that display text as it will appear when printed.  Ju
st don't expect them to run as quickly as the equivalent programs on the Macint
osh do."

Here's another excerpt from the previous article that about says it all:
"In October 1983, Steve Wazniak, inventor of the original Apple II, made some r
emarkably candid statements in an electronic conference on CompuServe.  Comment
ing on Apple's future plans for the Ii series, he said we could expect to see a
 new machine by the middle of 1984 that would use "a revolutionary 6502-based p
rocessor" and be able to access 16 megabytes of memory directly.
   He was referring to the so-called Apple IIx project, but, for a variety of r
easons, notably the infatuation of the Apple brass with the Macintosh (announce
d in January 1984), the project was ultimately scrapped.
   But now, three years after this initial hint of things to come, Apple has fi
nally created a computer that meets Woz's tantalizing specifications: the Apple
 IIGS.  The GS stands for graphics and sound, the two sexy features Apple will
use to lure customers from the grasp of Commodore and Atari.  In this article,
       [...and people wonder why the GS is compared to the Amiga!...]
I'll explain what makes the GS so special."

I also remember reading, in A+, shortly after this issue (I can't find it right
 now... it's 4:37am) that Apple decided not to make the GS any faster than 2.8M
hz because they were afraid that it would compete with the Mac.  When I find it
, I'll post it.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

jerryk (Jerry Kindall) (09/23/90)

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:

> I think that about sums it all up.  I would gladly give of ][ compatibility
> in order to make the GS the machine it should have been in the first place.

Take away the Apple II compatibility from the IIgs and you have a Mac.

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/24/90)

>>> Apple decided not to make the GS any faster than 2.8Mhz because they
>>> were afraid that it would compete with the Mac.

BS!  Apple "limited" the GS to 2.8Mhz because the fastest ROMS they could buy
at the time limited it to this speed.  The 65c816 interfaces to memory in a
completely different manner than the 68000.  A clock cycle = 1 Memory Cycle.
On the 68000, 4 clock cycles=1 memory cycle.  Therefore, a 2.8 Mhz GS access
memory at about the same speed as a 12 Mhz 68000.  There is a *LARGE* penalty
for introducing wait states on the 65c816, unlike the 680x0 family.  This is
why introducing wait states (like Apple did on the Mac) isn't viable.  Finally,
the maximum processor speed was 4 Mhz when they intro'd the GS.  Introducing
wait states at that point would have slowed the processor down to the equivalent
of 2 mhz.  Apple's 2.8 Mhz speed was the best they could do at the time.
Today, they could probably do 7 Mhz *IF THEY COULD GET A RELIABLE SOURCE FOR
THE PROCESSORS*.  Such a source does not exist yet.  The only alternative would
be for Apple to develop their own processor.  Given the costs of this, I can't
imagine Apple going too much farther with the Apple II by building their own
processor.
*** Randy Hyde O-)

cs4w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Charles William Swiger) (09/24/90)

>I thought it was supposed to emulate an 8-bit >Apple (e.g. //e), not the IIGS.

Apple is supposedly making two boards, one for the Mac line that will
emulate an enhanced //e, and one for the //gs that will emulate a Mac
plus.  Since I talked to someone a few months ago who says he is
involved with beta testing the board for the //gs that emulates a Mac,
I'd say that this isn't a rumor.

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (System Administrator) (09/24/90)

>> Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making
>> a truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back
>> to fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
>> scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

> I think that about sums it all up.  I would gladly give of ][ compatibility
> in order to make the GS the machine it should have been in the first place.

Those two statements seem to sum up the views of many of the folks who
read/post to this group, but I find them a bit confusing.

Apple *already* makes a machine which does all the things that have been
requested, and isn't compatible with the early Apple II software.  If what is
wanted is a computer meeting those requirements, why not buy the one they
already have in production?

Or is the problem simply that it isn't *called* an "Apple II--"... ???

Would everyone be happier if Apple just changed the name of the various
Macintosh models to "Apple IIM/n", where "n" is a model number?  It seems like
that would answer the *actual* complaints I read so frequently.  It would do
all the things people seem to want, and it would be named an "Apple II"!!

I *like* my GS...  I really do!!  But I like it because it's compatible with
all the older Apple software, even with the limitations.  If I need to do
things that exceed those limitations, I'll use a different computer, not sit
around griping that my Apple II doesn't do what a high-end Mac does!

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (09/24/90)

In article <9009230630.AA24367@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>> The GS's OS is just great.
>
>Well, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it great... but I don't like the
>graphical interface (actually, I don't like not having the choice of a text
>or graphic interface with GS/OS).

	IMO, it is GREAT compared to almost any other micro computer OS.
	Just if the GS is fast enough to handle all that graphic stuff...

>> I use and like the Mac.
>I use and dislike the Mac.  Although, I like it's speed.

	Mac has it's own "field" of attraction, I myself got more attracted
	by the GS (The only Macs I use are Mac IIx and up, SEs are not so
	usable)

>Yeah, but it has VGA and a 10Mhz 286! AAAAAND for about the same (or less)
>than the GS!  I don't think GS/OS is an excuse for it being slow OR expensive.

	In my knowledge, not many ms-dos users satisfied with 12 MHz 286!
	VGA is nice though...16 bit color (possible) on screen. 12MHz 286 is
	really not much faster than a GS.

>'excellent OS' is an opinion.  There are other people (I'm not one of them)
>that believe that MS-DOS is an 'excellent OS'.  The PS/1 can be networked to

	Very true...

>other PC's (to the best of my knowledge), an internal HD (SCSI not needed)
>and connections to the PS/2.

	uh... you have to be careful here. Many of today's PC disk controller
	card supports up to 2 harddrive, 2 to 4 floppies (1.44 3.5 and 1.2
	5.25, 720k 3.5 and 360k 5.25 format included)

	BTW, SCSI is better than the one used by most IBMs (It is called
	something like EDSI, I don't remember it well) ONLY UNDER CERTAIN
	situations.  The SCSI is much suitable to be used with multitasking
	OS such as Mach, Unix, etc.  It is because of the way SCSI works.
	A SCSI device can close communication with its host when it is
	working on some internal jobs such as moving the read/write head,
	seek, etc, and reopen the connection with host when it is readly to
	transfer the data requested by the host.  During the time that the
	connection is closed, the data line lis freed to OS so OS can access
	other SCSI device daisy chained in the same chain thus to improve
	disk access performace.  This way, it also  improve the performanced of
	an OS if its' disk based.  However, because of this special feature
	of SCSI, it takes a few cycle to communicate between SCSI device and
	it's host.  Therefore, when a SCSI with same characteristics of a
	EDxx drive hooked to a single process computer, theoretically the
	EDxx drive should perform better than SCSI although the difference
	is not very noticeable.  I personally prefer SCSI because it is more
	flexible than must other types of harddrive, plus it's kind of "smart"

>Also, I don't want to network my GS to a Mac.  I don't want to network my GS
>at all.  The GS doesn't NOT have 'well defined SCSI'.  That's EXTRA!  You
>have to pay for it.  It doesn't come with the $1000 GS, so that doesn't
>justify the price.  Also, so what if it has connections to the Mac?  I don't
>have a Mac and I don't want a Mac and MINE isn't connected to a Mac, so, again,
	net work to a Mac via Apple talk is much easier, but what's the point?
	share a laser printer? a CD-ROM that is already connected to Mac?
	well, then yes, but otherwise, why bother?

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

In article <8004@milton.u.washington.edu> cyliao@hardy.acs.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>	BTW, SCSI is better than the one used by most IBMs (It is called
>	something like EDSI, I don't remember it well) ONLY UNDER CERTAIN
>	situations.  The SCSI is much suitable to be used with multitasking

	Well this is off your topic, but it's ESDI...

	And there are inexpensive (<$100 I'm pretty certain) controller
cards that convert from ESDI -> SCSI. They go inside of the hard drive too
so they're not computer dependent.

	So that means that you can buy cheaper ESDI drives and use them as
SCSI devices. I myself will probably not go this route (as I want to buy
45 meg Syquest based drives that are already SCSI)... But it is a good
route for someone who wants to buy a HUGE drive and save lots of money.

--
/pqbdpqbdpqbd   Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu   dbqpdbqpdbqp\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/24/90)

In article <9009230630.AA24367@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>>If it is speed you want, then why not get a 486?

>1.  I dislike Intel Chips VERY much!
>2.  It's not compatible with ANYTHING I have.
>3.  I don't have the money. (Even if I did have the $$, I wouldn't get one.)

The irrational dislike of Intel chips does not stand up in any objective
discussion. Even Motorolla would acknowledge that the 486 is an excellent
cpu( and has been out for a while). Whether or not it's compatible with
your current software is another issue. People change platforms, and one
of the problems in doing that is rebuilding your software library. Since
you don't have the money to get one, and are biased against it, just get
it out of your mind.

>>if speed is the only issue.

>It isn't.

I realize that speed is not the one and only complaint some GS users have.

>>Why do people keep bringing up the Amiga?

>Why do people keep asking this?  It's obviously the closest, comparable
>computer to the GS.  It's faster, has better 'supported' graphics and costs
>LESS!... although, the sound isn't as good, but I don't think that's why the
>GS is so much more.

The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
graphics. It does have graphics' coprocessors and, unless you are into
interlaced graphics' modes, it basically has similar graphics to those
of the GS. But it doesn't have Quickdraw, is hard to expand, has a small
educational software base, and is not for educational users a heck of
a lot less than the GS. It is based on the 68000 cpu which makes life
a lot easier.As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.

>>There's more to computing than games.

>Of course.

>>The other thing you are forgetting when bringing up the Amiga is the quality
>>of the people who work at Apple.

>I'm not sure what you mean by 'quality of people'.  Anyway, that doesn't change
>the price or speed of the GS or Amiga.

The software/hardware people at Apple are first class. The same goes with
companies such as HP. I have a hard time drawing the same conclusion with
Commodore. although they probably have some excellent employees.

>> The GS's OS is just great.

>Well, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it great... but I don't like the
>graphical interface (actually, I don't like not having the choice of a text
>or graphic interface with GS/OS).

That is your opinion. GUI's are the future. I didn't meant to say that the
OS for the GS was a GREAT operating system. I just happen to find it
well thought out and ahead of most micro OS's.

>> I use and like the Mac.

>I use and dislike the Mac.  Although, I like it's speed.

Well, I see no reason to dislike the Mac. It is a fine computer. As for
speed, it isn't that fast relative to RISC workstations. But it is a
personal computer which has reached a nice balance between ease of use
and speed.

>>I really like the GS.

>So do I.  That's why I'm pushing for it to be even better.  I'd like it a Heck
>of alot more if it were as fast as it should be (considering it has a graphical
>interface.)

The speed issue is related to the availability of fast 65816's in quantity. Do
you have any evidence that this is the case?

>>Both are way ahead of any other micro OS with wide acceptance that I'm aware
>>of.

>Sorry, but there's a heck of alot more messy-dos people than there GS/OS and
>MAC combined and most of those people (if not all) think that ms-dos is way
>ahead of any other OS.  Although, I personally prefer GS/OS over ms-dos.

I doubt if few people, even DOS users, would dare to defend DOS on an OS
basis. Now OS/2 is a different story. But DOS is not an example of a good
OS. People use DOS computers for the software, the price, etc...People
involved in the DOS world are trying to get away from DOS, and having a
hard time of it.

>>The PS/1 may have VGA and a 10Mhz 286, but it doesn't have GS/OS.

>Yeah, but it has VGA and a 10Mhz 286! AAAAAND for about the same (or less)
>than the GS!  I don't think GS/OS is an excuse for it being slow OR expensive.

The PS/1 is a new computer. The GS's graphics are 4 years old. I suggest
you look more closely at the PS/1. It's a first step. Its software base
is the same as that available for most DOS computers. I do agree that
the GS's price should be cut and the computer speeded up to around 7MHz.

>>I also think Apple is in a position to be extremely competitive in that area,

>Yeah, IF they speed up the GS and give it VGA comparable graphics.

>>using both the GS and the Mac.
>                           ---
>They very well could be, but what does that have to do with people wanting a
>faster GS for their money?  The whole point of my message was that for $1000
>I can get a 2.8 Mhz GS with OK graphics (ok, compared to other computers that
>cost $1000) or for ALOT less, I can get a 7Mhz Amiga with even better graphics.
>(I'm talking about graphics that are supported).

If you want an Amiga, then get one. The connectivity between the GS and the
Mac is important to a lot of people. I must remind you that the target
market of the Amiga is different.

>>I don't need workstation speed, nor does the GS.

>I do, but I am neither asking for it, nor am I saying the GS should have it,
>only that it would be great (of course).  But the GS NEEDS to be AT LEAST 7Mhz.
>When I said, "I don't hink it's possible to have a computer 'too fast'.", I was
>saying that in reply to this:

>>I also would love to see a faster( not too fast) GS.

The reason for the "not too fast" comment was that faster computers need
more expensive supporting peripherals. I do need workstation speed, but
I'm not looking for it in a GS or a Mac for that matter. The price
performance of RISC workstations simply make them more attractive for
Mips and MFLOPS. The GS would be at 7MHz if such cpu's were available in
quantity.

>>We will have to see what Apple has in mind, but many PC "power users" are
>>unlikely to be happy with the 10Mhz 286 and are probably having the same
>>conversation we are having here in another forum.

>What Apple has in mind for the future is irrellevent to the fact that the GS
>is too slow and too expensive NOW.  If they speed it up in the future, without
>increasing the price, well that's just fine and Jim Dandy, but I'm stil stuck
>here with my 2.8Mhz GS for $1000 with only 256k on the motherboard.

Well, I assume you knew the specifications of the GS when you bought yours.
What Apple does in the future is very relevant to the continued health of
the GS and people's software libraries. In any case, if you want a faster
GS now get a TWGS or one of the Zip products.

>>Also, don't forget that the GS has an excellent OS, networking, a well-defined
>>SCSI and connections to the Mac wich you won't find with the PS/1.
>
>'excellent OS' is an opinion.  There are other people (I'm not one of them)
>that believe that MS-DOS is an 'excellent OS'.  The PS/1 can be networked to
>other PC's (to the best of my knowledge), an internal HD (SCSI not needed)
>and connections to the PS/2.

The SCSI for the GS is optional in order to keep costs down. I don't
like that myself but I can see why. The PS/1 can't be networked as is,
and certain networking solutions actually void the warranty. Having a
SCSI based HD is far better than the 30 meg non-SCSI in the PS/1. Try
hooking up a tape drive, CD-ROM.etc...to the PS/1. Nobody believes
that DOS is an excellent OS. Nobody.

>I'm not pushing the PS/1... I'd take my GS over a PS/1 anyday, but that's
>just me.  The PS/1 ALSO has VGA graphics, a 10Mhz CPU, a vast library of
>software, and software support you just won't find for the GS.

The GS also has software that you won't find(yet) on the PS/1. I'm not
putting the PS/1 down. It is IBM's first real attempt at the home
market. Not a bad one. I suggest you read the list of educational
software that comes with the PS/1's market literature.

>Also, I don't want to network my GS to a Mac.  I don't want to network my GS
>at all.  The GS doesn't NOT have 'well defined SCSI'.  That's EXTRA!  You
>have to pay for it.  It doesn't come with the $1000 GS, so that doesn't
>justify the price.  Also, so what if it has connections to the Mac?  I don't
>have a Mac and I don't want a Mac and MINE isn't connected to a Mac, so, again,
>how does that justify the extreme cost and slow speed of the GS?

The built in networking of the GS is essential for its target audience. It
would be foolish not to have it, and since you have no interest in
networking to a Mac then don't do it. But that ability is a real value
to the GS. The computer wouldn't exist without it. I have already said
that the cost of the GS is too high. People in education don't pay the
same price. The GS does have a well-defined SCSI(optional). I suggest
you look at the problems other micros have been having implementing SCSI.

As for your $300 Atari Mac solution, don't forget that it must use Apple
128k ROM's. That solution only exists for as long as those ROM's remain
available. If you want a Mac, buy one. Same goes for the ST.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/24/90)

>The irrational dislike of Intel chips does not stand up in any objective
>discussion.

I couldn't agree more!  BUT -MY- dislike for Intel chips is not irrational.
I have programed with the 6502, 65816, 8086, and the 80286.  I had an opened
mind before going into all of these and after working with all of them, I have
decided I dislike the Intel chips!  I see nothing 'irrational' about this.  If
I had just USED software on them and said I dislike the Intel chips, then THAT
would be irrational, but that certainly is not the case.  AND, my dislike of
the chips DOES stand up in this discusion because it's not just 'speed' I want.
If it were, I'd probably get a Mac IIfx.  What I want is "speed in a 65816".

>The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
>graphics.

Apple IIGS                             Amiga 500
------------                          --------------
320x200-16colors/scan line            320x200-32colors/scan line
640x200-4colors/scan line             640x200-?colors/scan line (at least 4)
640x400-non existant                  640x400-mono?

As I stated before, these are the 'supported' modes.  Of these supported modes,
the Amiga has more colors per screen and a video mode the GS doesn't even have.
...even if it is interlaced, the Amiga has it and the GS doesn't.

>But it doesn't have Quickdraw,

In my opinion, that's a plus!  Quickdraw is just too slow for me.  You listed
several differences the GS and the Amiga have (most of which were negative
for the Amiga), but even if those were the ONLY differences,  They ARE similar
and therefore worth comparing.

>has a small educational software base,

Is this a reason for the GS being twice the price?  I can't imagine this has
anything to do with why it's more expensive.  Also, I don't use educational
software for it so why should that be a justification to me about the price?
What I'm interrested in is what the COMPUTER can do.  This is also what should
affect the price.  When you compare all the pluses and minuses of both computer
s (talking about what they can do and what they come with), I can't imagine why
the GS is twice as much.

>As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.

Not hardly.  The Amiga supports 4 voice sound (that's pretty good!), has built
in stereo, and from what an IBM exec. told me, it not only has stereo, but 4
channel stereo... suround sound.  This IBM exec told me this while he was
doing some routine Apple bashing, so I take that last part with a grain of
salt.  I've also listened to the sound the Amiga puts out and, to say the
least, it's impressive!

>>> The GS's OS is just great.
>
>>Well, it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it great... but I don't like the
>>graphical interface (actually, I don't like not having a choice of a text
>>or graphic interface with GS/OS).
>
>That is your opinion. GUI's are the future.

You're right.  It IS my opinion AND I beleive that GUI's are the future too.
It's also an opinion to say that GS/OS is just great!

>I just happen to find it well thought out and ahead of most micro OS's.

Well, that's an opinion too and can't be a reason for the GS being more expensi
ve than the Amiga.  I'm sure that there are lots of people that think the same
of the Amiga DOS (but I'm not one of them).

>Well, I see no reason to dislike the Mac.  It is a fine computer.

This is also an opinion... a matter of choice.

>As for speed, it isn't that fast relative to RISC workstations.

True, but it's fast compared to a GS, which is what we're talking about

>The speed issue is related to the availability of fast 65816's in quantity.

Ture, but they are selling at a 7Mhz (or faster) price.

>Do you have any evidence that this is the case?

That WHAT is the case?

>I doubt if few people, even DOS users, would dare to defend DOS on an OS
>basis.

Believe me, they do!  I have to put up with it every day at work.

>The PS/1 is a new computer. The GS's graphics are 4 years old.

VGA is even older.  AND considering the GS's graphics are 4 years old, then
that's another reason that it shouldn't be as expensive.

>I do agree that the GS's price should be cut and the computer speeded up
>to around 7Mhz.

Well, lowering the price and having it sped up was the whole point.

>If you want an Amiga, then get one.

I DON'T want an Amiga!  If I'm going to spend $1000 on a GS, I want it to do
at LEAST as much as another computer will do for $500!  Also, if 95% of my
programing education WASN'T based on the Apple ][, AND if I knew about the
Amiga in early '87, when I got my GS, AND if I didn't already have an Apple ][
with a great big software and hardware investment, I would have gotten one.

>The connectivity between the GS and the Mac is important to alot of people.

Yes it is, but that shouldn't drive the cost of the GS up.  The Atari ST can
be made into a Mac compatible computer and I -think- the Amiga can too, but
to this day, the GS can't (not for long, though).

>I must remind you that the target market of the Amiga is different.

I must remind You that that's no excuse for the GS to be twice the price of
the Amiga.

>The GS would be at 7Mhz if such chips were available in quantity.

But it isn't, so it shouldn't have a price tag of one that is.  If the GS were
priced for a 2.8Mhz computer, I wouldn't be dissapointed in the least bit, but
it's priced at as a much faster computer, and I want what I pay for.

>Well, I assume you knew the specification of the GS when you bought yours.

Yes I did.  BUT, I DID NOT know the specifications of the Amiga or the Atari
ST, nor did I know of their existence.  It would have been fine if the GS
were the only computer in this category, but when there are other computers
with similar or better capabillities for MUCH less, THEN I have a reason
to gripe.  It's like thinking that there are only three cars:  Yugo's,
Mercedes, and Porcshes.  The Yugo is (in this scenario) priced at $30,000.
The Mercedes is priced at $80,000 and the Porcshe at $60,000.  So I buy the
Yugo.  Later I find out that there are a couple of other cars... Oldsmobile
Cutlass Supreme and a Buick Skylark, both for about $15,000.  I know that
comparing the GS to a Yugo isn't really fair, but the priciple of the story
is the same.  I knew what the one was before I bought it, but I didn't have
any knowledge of the other.

>What Apple does in the future is very relevant to the continued health of
>GS and people's software libraries.

Yes, but NOT relevant to the fact that it's overpriced NOW.

>In any case, if you want a faster GS, get a TWGS or one of the ZIP products.

I WILL!  But why should I have to pay $1400 (retail) for a <7Mhz GS compared
to almost THREE TIMES LESS for a 7Mhz Amiga???  If the GS isn't going to run
at 7Mhz, it shouldn't be priced as if it were.

>Nobody believes that DOS is an excellent OS. Nobody.

WWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!
Have you met EVERY SINGLE MS-DOS USER????  I didn't think so.  You really
shouldn't make a 'Nobody' statement, especially when you're talking about
opinions.  I could introduce you to SEVERAL people that think MS-DOS is an
excellent operation system.  Even the cover of PC Magazine said, "Everyone
agrees what the best operating system is..." refering to MS-DOS.  They also
made that same mistake of saying, "Everybody".

>The GS also has software that you won't find(yet) on the PS/1.

I didn't say the PS/1 has software you son't find on the GS, I said the PS/1
has software SUPPORT you won't find on the GS.  Also, every computer has SOME
kind of software you won't find on another.  (except maybe the TI-99 hehe).

>I suggest you read the list of educational software that comes with the PS/1's
>market literature.

Why?  Even if it's nil, .... It still has great software support.

>The built in networking of the GS is essential for it's target audience.

I agree, but that shouldn't drive the cost up much at all!

>It would be foolish not to have it,

Right.... So?

>since you have no interest in networking to a Mac, then don't it.

I'm not... What does this have to do with the GS being too expensive or too
slow?

>But that ability is a real value to the GS. The computer wouldn't exist
>without it.

Well, I agree with that and I haven't said anything against it, except that I
have no desire to take advantage of it.

>I have already said the cost is too high.

Again, that's the whole point of my posting.

>People in education don't pay the same price.

but not everyone is in education.... The GS is priced too high (I'm aware you
agree).

>The GS does have a well defined SCSI(optional).

The GS has NO SCSI!  The GS has no hard drive, printer, monitor, audio digitize
r, video digitizer, disk drives, laserprinters, modems, stereo, speakers,
joysticks, CD ROM drives, light pens, headphones, fan, surge suppressor, etc.,
etc., etc...!  It DOES have 1Mb RAM, 256k ROM, 16 voice sound, graphics, a
2.8Mhz 65816, keyboard, mouse, slots, etc. etc. etc.  If it does not come with
the computer, it does NOT have it.  You can buy virtually anything for it, but
just because you can buy something for it, doesn't mean it has it.  If you say
the GS has   well defined SCSI, then you must also say that it has 7Mhz (TWGS),
any and all hard drives that work on the Mac, audio/video digitizers, etc.  It
makes no difference if Apple makes the extra hardware or not, if it costs extra
then it does not 'have' it.

>As for the $300 Atari Mac solution, don't forget that it must use Apple 128k
>ROM's.

I'm ahead of you here.  $300 includes the price of the ROMs.  Without the ROMs,
it's only about $120.

>That solution only exists for as long as those ROM's remain available.

And the GS only exists as long as it's available.

>If you want a Mac, buy one. Same goes for the ST.

What the %$#@! makes you think I want a Mac?  Or an ST for that matter?  All
I want is a FASTER GS!

|                                    |                               |

In article <1990Sep24.032342.12923@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
>graphics. It does have graphics' coprocessors and, unless you are into
>interlaced graphics' modes, it basically has similar graphics to those
>of the GS. But it doesn't have Quickdraw, is hard to expand, has a small
>educational software base, and is not for educational users a heck of
>a lot less than the GS. It is based on the 68000 cpu which makes life
>a lot easier.As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.
	I was wondering if you think that education is the main
(or seemingly close to ONLY) use for the GS... It seems that in your whole
long post (that I'm responding to right now) you follow along completely
with Apple's "the GS is for education" belief.. [For the time being, I'll
ignore the fact that they're now pushing MACS into education]

	I think that GSs in schools are GREAT. Seventh grade was when I
was first deeply involved with computers. And it was on Apple IIs. [I had
used a Commodore PET in the 6th grade.. I think I learned a LITTLE
bit of BASIC, but it was mainly for fiddling around and playing Sabotage!
by the way, I just learned on TV's Computer Chronicles the other day that
PET was an acronym... Personal Electronic Transactor or something weird
like that].  My use of Apple IIs in junior high (and from then on!) was
due to Apple's BRILLIANT idea of giving Apple IIs to schools and selling
them VERY cheaply.  Tangentially, today a new program (in CA only I think)
began where you can give Safeway receipts to schools and they can get
Apple computers in return...  Strange it's a GS in their drawing, but
EVERYTHING else is clear except the "Apple IIGS"..

	Wow that was a lot of rambling off topic... I seem to be known
for that.  I just feel that education is a FINE place for computers
to be used.. I just don't want the Apple II to be viewed by people (and
by Apple) as just an educational computer.. What about Visicalc?? I'm not
saying that I -ever- expect the GS to be used much in business, but
the home market exists... And as I alluded to before, I do have a GS
(upgraded from //e) only because I used IIs in school and had to have
what I used at school.  But I haven't used IIs in an educational environment
since my senior year in high school (I'm going to be a senior in college
this year).

	There's more to Apple IIs than eduation.
--

gminette@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The Sylver Dragon) (09/24/90)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET scribbles...

>>As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.
>
>Not hardly.  The Amiga supports 4 voice sound (that's pretty good!), has built
>in stereo, and from what an IBM exec. told me, it not only has stereo, but 4
>channel stereo... suround sound.  This IBM exec told me this while he was
>doing some routine Apple bashing, so I take that last part with a grain of
>salt.  I've also listened to the sound the Amiga puts out and, to say the
>least, it's impressive!

The GS has the ability to do 4 channel sound if someone would ever bother to
add $10 of hardware to the existing stereo cards.  The sound output jack inside
the GS has four multiplexed channels of output, so all that would need to be
done is to double the stuff on a standard stereo card, and write the software.
I hope someone will, as it could be really nice.

	-The Silver Dragon
	-AKA Garth Minette

--
|  _____   The Sylver Dragon,  | gminette@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU |               |
| (_|_  \    Garth Minette:    |prefer^  @nemesis.CalPoly.EDU |    }>=:)      |

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (09/24/90)

I meant that Apple tried so much for II compatibility, but only partially
succeeded, so they lost on both accounts.

scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com (Harry Erwin) (09/24/90)

>WDC is capable of producing faster chips....
But not in economic quantities.
Harry Erwin   -->Remember, no good deed goes unpunished...
proline:pro-novapple!herwin uucp: crash!pro-novapple!herwin
arpa: crash!pro-novapple!herwin@nosc.mil Telenet: herwin/trw
Internet: herwin@pro-novapple.cts.com
alternate Internet: /PN=Harry.Erwin/O=TRW/ADMD=Telemail/C=US/@Sprint.com

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/24/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 23-Sep-90 Re: A low blow from
> Apple Charles W. Swiger@andrew (391)

> >I thought it was supposed to emulate an 8-bit >Apple (e.g. //e), not
> the IIGS.

> Apple is supposedly making two boards, one for the Mac line that will
> emulate an enhanced //e, and one for the //gs that will emulate a Mac
> plus.  Since I talked to someone a few months ago who says he is
> involved with beta testing the board for the //gs that emulates a Mac,
> I'd say that this isn't a rumor.

The problem is, a great number of things that get to beta test, esp.
hardware, don't necessarily make it to the market. I have a friend who
works for IBM, and he's seen stuff in their development labs that would
make you respect IBM. But the Pearly Gates to the open market are
guarded by marketersand MBA's, not engineers and computer users. Sigh.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |    Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |     Software|   opinions, alone.     |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|             |     Ya Gotta Love It.  |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/24/90)

>I meant that Apple tried so much for II compatibility, but only partially
>succeeded, so they lost on both accounts.
>
>scottr@applesauce.bb.ny

HUH?  only PARTIALLY?  I'm not really denying, this, I'm just wondering on what
didn't they succeed in compatibillity.  I haven't run into ANY compatibility
problems and I haven't heard a single word about it either, until now.  I know
that chip accellerators for the //e aren't compatible, but, of course, that's
reasonable.  Don't get me wrong... I'm not 'flaming' you... just curious.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (09/25/90)

>>> 7mhz GS vs. 7Mhz Amiga:  A 68000 running at 7 mhz is *SLOWER* than
a 65816 at the same clock speed.  The bus cycles are completely different.
You cannot compare processors on the basis of input clock frequency alone.
I remember this argument back in the days of Apple II vs. TRS80.  The TRS80
ran at 2 Mhz, the Apple II at 1mhz.  Yet the Apple II was faster for most
common operations.  The same is roughly true for the '816 vs. the 68000.

>>I didn't know (comparing GS to Yugo)...

**Buyer Beware!***

No one stuck a gun to your head and made you buy that computer!
I owned an Apple II (several, in fact), Two Apple IIe machines, and a
GS.  I also own a 386 and a Mac II fx.  Sure it cost lots of money.  But I got what I wanted.  If you want a cheap
system you shouldn't buy Apple.  They've had premium products for as long as
I can remember.  Even with as little looking around as you've done, surely
you recognized this.

I would love to see a faster GS from Apple with a 32-bit Nubus and a big display.`
I'm not holding my breath though.  That's why I bought a mac.

lexter@pro-abilink.cts.com (Sam Robertson) (09/25/90)

Okay, I think I can make one response to the "A low blow from Apple" topic.
Let's face it, The II days are numbered.  I still believe the machine I have
is not completely out-dated and possibly if Apple had given more support it
could have been bigger and ten times faster by now.  But, lets not continue to
run Apple down.  Is it totally necessary to constantly complain, when over the
past year and a half that I have been reading this feed nothing ever was done
machine for anything I need to do.  I also feel that if things are going to
get better for the Apple IIGS I will have to make them better myself.

I think if we would all quit picking our noses and constantly complain about
the death of Apple and its all-famous II line and start to work on writing
games, bussiness programs, and general Gee-Whiz stuff that we could have a
substantial library of software for the GS without Apple's help.

Just a response to the millions I have already read!

Sam Robertson
Applelink:  Lexter               || Sam Robertson   Pro-Abilink 300/1200/2400
GENIE:      SL.Robertson         || 1357 Santos           Sysop (Saw)
Proline:    Lexter@Pro-Abilink   || Abilene Texas 79605   (915)673-6856
INET: Lexter@Pro-Abilink.cts.com || UUCP: Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter
            ARPA:   Crash!pnet01!pro-abilink!lexter@nosc.mil
           "An Apple a day, keeps the Big Blue Meanies away!"

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.032342.12923@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>In article <9009230630.AA24367@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>

>>>Why do people keep bringing up the Amiga?
>
>>Why do people keep asking this?  It's obviously the closest, comparable
>>computer to the GS.  It's faster, has better 'supported' graphics and costs
>>LESS!... although, the sound isn't as good, but I don't think that's why the
>>GS is so much more.
>
>The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
>graphics. It does have graphics' coprocessors and, unless you are into
>interlaced graphics' modes, it basically has similar graphics to those
>of the GS. But it doesn't have Quickdraw, is hard to expand, has a small
>educational software base, and is not for educational users a heck of
>a lot less than the GS. It is based on the 68000 cpu which makes life
>a lot easier.As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.

	Doesn't have better graphics?  Let's see... they're faster, take up
less cpu time, have higher resolutions available (even if they are
interlaced), and have a larger pallette with more colors on screen at once.
What's not better about them?  As far as not having quickdraw, I don't
see how that's an issue.  Yes, a device-independent graphics library would
be nice, if that's what you're getting at, and one is supposedly in the
works.  As for 'hard to expand,' that was once a problem, but isn't really
any more.  The only problem is it's relatively weak power supply, which
is easily replaced.  It can be expanded internally to 9 megs, and can be
accelerated (currently) up to a 33MHz '030.  Hard drives are a little
more expensive than for most machines becuase they need an external
case and (sometimes) power supply, but you'd have to get that to add
an external drive to any system.  Also, most HD controllers have space
for a few SIMM's on them.  If you really need expansion, you can get a
card cage with a number of Zorro II (A2000-style) slots.  Some even have
XT/AT slots for use with the bridgeboard.  Its educational software base
is relatively small, but it is there, and is growing; it includes some
noteworthy software such as Distant Suns.
	What kind of educational prices does Apple have for the GS?  I've seen
the list of Mac ed. prices at some point, but the IIgs wasn't on the one
I saw.  You may be right about there not being much price difference.
Educational pricing for the 500 is $799 for a 1-meg, 2-floppy 500 with
color monitor & AmigaVision software, $1200 or so if you add a HD w/space
for 2 megs of RAM on the controller.
	As far as sound; yes, it has fewer voices, but the sound chip (made,
if I'm not mistaken, by MOS technologies, a company owned by Commodore)
can only access 64K.  The Amiga probably has an edge as far as digitized
sound, esp. with large samples, but the GS is better as far as synthesized
sound.

>>>The other thing you are forgetting when bringing up the Amiga is the quality
>>>of the people who work at Apple.
>
>>I'm not sure what you mean by 'quality of people'.  Anyway, that doesn't change
>>the price or speed of the GS or Amiga.
>
>The software/hardware people at Apple are first class. The same goes with
>companies such as HP. I have a hard time drawing the same conclusion with
>Commodore. although they probably have some excellent employees.

	Up until 9-12 months ago, I had a hard time drawing that conclusion
about Commodore.  They had some brilliant hard/software people (still do),
but the only purpose the management was serving was to take money away from
the R&D budget.  But Harry Copperman (former Apple guy) took over as president
and turned the company around.  Commodore is really starting to get serious.
They've got an uphill battle, fighting not only against the competition
but against Commodore's past mistakes/image.  They're doing a tremendous
job, given the relatively small amount of resources they currently have
available (I believe I read somewhere that CBM makes about 1/4 of what
Apple does on average).

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (09/25/90)

>>The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
>>graphics.
>
>Apple IIGS                             Amiga 500
>------------                          --------------
>320x200-16colors/scan line            320x200-32colors/scan line
>640x200-4colors/scan line             640x200-?colors/scan line (at least 4)
>640x400-non existant                  640x400-mono?
>
>As I stated before, these are the 'supported' modes.  Of these supported modes,
>the Amiga has more colors per screen and a video mode the GS doesn't even have.
>...even if it is interlaced, the Amiga has it and the GS doesn't.

	Uuuh, the A500 stuff is a little off.  It goes something like this:
(My colors/resolution may be a little off, but I'll try to remember them):
	320x200 32 colors
	320x400 interlaced 32 colors
	640x200 32 colors
	640x400 interlaced 16
	Also ham mode (4096 colors in any of the 320xXXX resolutions), extra
halfbrite (in 32-color screens, shows half-tones of the original 32 colors
to make 64 colors).  Both are supported by the OS, the IFF file standard,
and almost all software where there's any reason to support them (i.e.
you won't find any HAM word processors around :-).
	Overscan for all resolutions is also supported, allowing screen as large
as 708x480 interlaced or 708x240 non-interlaced.  The new ECS chip set
will have 4-color 640x480 & 1280 x 200 non-interlaced modes, as well as
640x960 & 1280x200 interlaced.  On machines with the latest Agnus chip
(which most have by now), you can switch to PAL mode via software and get
640x256 and 320x256 non-interlaced, 640x512 and 320x512 interlaced, with
support, of course, for HAM, EHB, and overscan.

>I WILL!  But why should I have to pay $1400 (retail) for a <7Mhz GS compared
>to almost THREE TIMES LESS for a 7Mhz Amiga???  If the GS isn't going to run
>at 7Mhz, it shouldn't be priced as if it were.

	Then spend the money you saved on a 25MHz '030 card for the 500 :-)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (09/25/90)

>No one stuck a gun to your head and made you buy that computer!

NO S___ SHERLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!  What the $#@! difference does that make?  I never
said they did!  THE WHOLE POINT I'M TRYING TO GET ACCROSS IS THAT THE GS RUNS
AT 2.8 MHZ, COSTS $1000 AND THE AMIGA RUNS AT 7MHZ AND COSTS $500. PERIOD.

>You cannot compare processors on the basis of input clock frequency alone.

I'm NOT!  I'm comparing their SPEED.  The Amiga is MUCH faster than the GS,
regardless of the fact it has a different processor than the GS.  I don't
care if the Amiga was clocked at 1Mhz and the GS at 100Mhz... the Amiga is
FASTER and HALF the price.

>I would love to see a faster GS from Apple with a 32-bit Nubus and a big
> display.`
>I'm not holding my breath though.  That's why I bought a mac.

I'd love to see that too, but I don't expect it.  I'd buy a Mac too, but I
just don't like working with Macs as much as I do a II, except for their speed.
ALL I WANT IS A DECENT SPEED FOR THE MONEY I FORKED OVER!  That's ALL.  Can't
you understand that?  I don't want a Mac.  I don't want a 486.  I can't afford
to spend several years relearning another CPU chip, DOS, or to replace my
software library or my hardware investment.  I want my GS running at least as
fast as the 'competition'.  I get sick of trying to tell people that aren't
GS users how powerful it can be, when they know it's only 2.8Mhz.  They just
laugh.  So, I'll say what I've said 100 times before:

The GS should run faster OR it should be priced at a computer that runs at
2.8Mhz.

No... No one MADE me buy the GS.
Yes, I knew what it did before I bought.
NO.  I DID NOT KNOW WHAT OTHER COMPUTERS DID.
Yes.  I DID shop around... for PRICES... I found my GS for $729.
No.  I did not shop around for other computer... I didn't know they existed.
   Even if they did, I PROBABLY would have gotten the GS anyway, not because
   it's worth the money compared to the other computers, but because of the
   hardware and software investment I already had in my Franklin AND because
   of the knowledge I built up over the years learning everything I could
   about the Apple II.  But that's no reason for The GS to be priced so high
   or to be so slow... at the time, I thought 2.8Mhz was FAST... considering
   I was used to 1Mhz.

|                                    |                               |

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (09/26/90)

In article <IavvVpS00Ud589WlgZ@andrew.cmu.edu>, jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

>  And the only consolation
> is that a GS appears in a McDonald's commercial involving a preschooler
> for about 3 whole seconds.

The "Education" special edition of Newsweek has a two page ad which
has a full page photo. The picture shows a little girl in front of a row
of GS's saying something like "I'd be an expert at this if it weren't for
all the naps" The ad was from Toyota.

By the way, didn't all those posts to AOL clear up the GS problems?
( oops, there goes the blasphemy again. )

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (09/29/90)

Interesting thought there, Mike.  Probably would be like that.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (09/29/90)

In article <7117@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <1990Sep24.032342.12923@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
>>The Amiga500, which is the computer most bring up, does not have better
>>graphics. It does have graphics' coprocessors and, unless you are into
>>interlaced graphics' modes, it basically has similar graphics to those
>>of the GS. But it doesn't have Quickdraw, is hard to expand, has a small
>>educational software base, and is not for educational users a heck of
>>a lot less than the GS. It is based on the 68000 cpu which makes life
>>a lot easier.As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.
>	I was wondering if you think that education is the main
>(or seemingly close to ONLY) use for the GS... It seems that in your whole
>long post (that I'm responding to right now) you follow along completely
>with Apple's "the GS is for education" belief.. [For the time being, I'll
>ignore the fact that they're now pushing MACS into education]

Well let me simply state that the main target area for the GS should be
education. With that as a foundation, and with better connectivity to
Mac's via both hardware and software( eg improving AWGS on the GS, adding
a better "productivity' graphics' mode to the GS such as 512x384 or whatever
is possible, and putting AW onto the Mac) you then have reasons for families
to buy a computer for home. In this case it would be basically a
home/educational computer with a minor role assigned to doing work, such as
connecting to your work computer system via a communications' package or
doing some work using AWGS which could then be transferred to the Mac's at
work.

I think the problem you are having with my post is that I do not believe in
a home computer market. I can see a home/business computer such as the
PS/1 or a low cost Mac and I can also see a home/educational computer which
can do a bit a work. This latter role is where I see the GS fitting in. It
needs some improvements and a lower price, but it should remain primarily
an education based computer. Forget about the GS for business. It isn't the
place for it. That area is dominated by Intel based computers and the Mac.
There may very well be a place for Unix workstations now in business. The
new NeXT computers have raised some interesting possibilities.

Most computers need a base. This is why I have been sceptical about the
Amiga, as it does not really have a well-defined target base( apart from
the very small video market). The Amiga500 is not really aimed at this
video market, and I have to wonder about the higher end Amigas in the face
of competition coming from workstations( such as the NeXT) which are
dropping in price every day. Look, it's around $3000 for a complete grey
scale 040 NeXT for educational users. That price is just very appealing
and prices will only drop. True a colour system costs more, but not that
much more. That leaves the Amiga without a target base. Why bother spending
x amount of $'s on a system to play games. It doesn't make sense. There are
dedicated game players available, and these will presumably improve and
become less expensive. Of course, people have to either rent or buy the
games for a Nintendo system. I am assuming that families are basically not
buying computers because they can "pirate" thousands of games.

As for the Mac's going into schools, that's great. They are nice computers.
So is the GS. There's room for both. It is to everyone's benefit if our
children have enthusiastic teachers, interesting computers,etc... I don't
see a plot here to get rid of the GS. The GS needs a healthy Apple. Apple
is in an industry which is fast changing and in which the competition is
very heavy.

Between IBM and the workstations, I'd say they have their hands full. It
must be rather exciting working for them now.

I suggest you have a closer look at the prices for the new NeXT computers
and the bundled software( note that SoftPC will be available for the NeXT).
I would see if this announcement affects pricing on the new upcoming
Apple products.

These are interesting times, very,...

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (10/02/90)

This very well may be a repeat article from me. I found an old (i.e. a week
or two at most) article in my account, and I see no reason that I'd've kept
it other than it not being posted correctly.. (I also remember no replies
from it since it is replying to a subject debated a fair amount). If it's
a repeat, sorry... Just trying to clean out my account but post my views..
ohwell... here goes:

cse0507@desire.wright.edu (10/03/90)

In article <9009240703.AA21897@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
> Not hardly.  The Amiga supports 4 voice sound (that's pretty good!), has built
> in stereo, and from what an IBM exec. told me, it not only has stereo, but 4
> channel stereo... suround sound.  This IBM exec told me this while he was
> doing some routine Apple bashing, so I take that last part with a grain of
> salt.  I've also listened to the sound the Amiga puts out and, to say the
> least, it's impressive!

I don't know if I would call 4 voices good. Other than maybe game sound effects
or a simple sound track you really can't accomplish much with only four
sound channels. With the supported 15 channel sound you can really do some
amazing sound on the GS, and if you use the 32 oscillators separatly (as
Diversi Tune does) you can produce your own small orchestra. One of the
hardest instruments to reproduce is a piano because with the sustain pedal
you can have quite a few notes going simutaneously. While you could do a good
sounding piano on an Amiga, four notes would not really do it justice.
This was my main problem with the Casio CZ series in that they sounded good,
but only had four voices. To say that the Amiga sound is impressive is really
uninformative. To be persuasive you should have said what you were comparing
it to. Compared to the AM radio in my brothers Olds, the Amiga really impresed
me! Compared to my GS, the Amiga was a glorified Nintendo. Actually, I find
that the GS sound is one of the most redeeming factors about the machine.

In article <22547.apple.info-apple@pro-exchange> rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:
>>> Apparently, Apple felt that ][ compatibility was more important than making
>>> a truly great machine. We could have had a fast machine -- they cut it back
>>> to fit the architecture for the older ]['s.
>>> scottr@applesauce.bb.ny
>
>> I think that about sums it all up.  I would gladly give of ][ compatibility
>> in order to make the GS the machine it should have been in the first place.
	YOU PEOPLE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. Please try to find an article
I posted yesterday. If you take out compatibility, IT AIN'T AN APPLE II.

>Would everyone be happier if Apple just changed the name of the various
>Macintosh models to "Apple IIM/n", where "n" is a model number?  It seems like
>that would answer the *actual* complaints I read so frequently.  It would do
>all the things people seem to want, and it would be named an "Apple II"!!
	No I wouldn't be happy. I want to be able to run TAXMAN and
Rescue Raiders and Prince of Persia, etc... Things other than games too
but games are one of my big vices.. heh..

>I *like* my GS...  I really do!!  But I like it because it's compatible with
>all the older Apple software, even with the limitations.  If I need to do
>things that exceed those limitations, I'll use a different computer, not sit
>around griping that my Apple II doesn't do what a high-end Mac does!
	I agree with you about why we like our GS..

	But I feel that the GS should have higher capabilities. Sure,
I don't expect to be able to do stuff a CRAY does, but I want to be able
to do what an Amiga or ST does (most of which the GS can do.. obviously
it does sound better than either)... AND RETAIN my downward compatibility.

--

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (10/06/90)

|MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET scribbles...
|>
|>>As for the sound not being as good, that is an understatement.
|>
|>Not hardly.  The Amiga supports 4 voice sound (that's pretty good!), has
|>built in stereo, and from what an IBM exec. told me, it not only has stereo,
|>but 4 channel stereo... suround sound.  This IBM exec told me this while he
|>was doing some routine Apple bashing, so I take that last part with a grain
|>of salt.  I've also listened to the sound the Amiga puts out and, to say the
|>least, it's impressive!
|>

|The GS has the ability to do 4 channel sound if someone would ever bother to
|add $10 of hardware to the existing stereo cards.  The sound output jack
|inside the GS has four multiplexed channels of output, so all that would need
|to be done is to double the stuff on a standard stereo card, and write the
|software. I hope someone will, as it could be really nice.
|
|        -The Silver Dragon
|        -AKA Garth Minette

Amiga has 4 voice, that's true.  BUT it two voice per channel.  It's NOT
Surround Sound.  You need FOUR (4) channels to get surround sound.  The GS
sound chip (Ensoniq) has 15-vioces.  Not surprising, since the Ensoniq chip is
used in professional quality synthesizer.  "Mirage" is one that comes to mind.
GS kicks ass on ANY computer with the exception of the NeXT (which has a 16-bit
sound using Motorola DSP chip) or expensive add on cards costing well over
$500.  It's possible on the GS to have upto 8 channels.  More than enough for
Surround Sound, although I'd just use a Stereo and hook it up to a Surround
sound processor.

Don't take a grain of salt, take a whole barrel.  The IBMer you talk to don't
jack about the GS sound capablity.

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/07/90)

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
> |MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET scribbles...
> |>but 4 channel stereo... suround sound.  This IBM exec told me this while he
> |

> Amiga has 4 voice, that's true.  BUT it two voice per channel.  It's NOT
> Surround Sound.

Not Quite. Quadraphonic Sound, I guess by definition, would be 4
channel, but 'Surround Sound' is not. Surround Sound is a third, rear
channel that is used by the music, television an film industry. It
involves incoding the track into the stereo tracks, and then decoding
them when the music or whatever is played back. I believe what happens
is that you reverse the phase of one of the channels, and then add it
to the other channel. Things intended for the rear channel will be
recorded slightly out of phase between the front left and right
channels, and therefore emphasized in the rear channel if you have
one. Normal monophonic recordings cancel out. And, by the way, the
rear channel in Surround Sound is monophonic.

I know this because my housemates and I built a Surround Sound decoder
from an artical in Radio Electronics. Very simple design... and it is
amazing just how many recordings employ surround sound. But then
again, you start to notice things that don't.

But again, Surround Sound is a track that is ENCODED within a normal
Stereo Signal. You only need two channels to simulate surround sound,
and the encoding is accomplished by judicious use of mixing and
phasing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/07/90)

In article <Ab3XBOu00VQlIAus4E@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:
>I know this because my housemates and I built a Surround Sound decoder
>from an artical in Radio Electronics. Very simple design... and it is
>amazing just how many recordings employ surround sound. But then
>again, you start to notice things that don't.

Also in some issue of _Radio-Electronics_ they describe a quick hack to get
surround sound: just grab a third speaker and connect it to the positive
speaker terminals for both the left and right channel.  It would look like
this:
      __________________
     |                  |
     | Surround Speaker |
     |__________________|
         |         |_______
 ________|_________________|____________________________________
|        |                 |                                    |
|     ___|______        ___|______                              |
|    |   |      |      |   |      |                             |
|    | + O  O - | L  R | + O  O - |         Amplifier           |
|    |___|__|___|      |___|__|___|                             |
|        |  |              |  |                                 |
|________|__|______________|__|_________________________________|
         |  |              |  |
     ____|__|____      ____|__|____
    |            |    |            |
    | Left Spkr. |    | Right Spkr.|
    |____________|    |____________|

I haven't tried it, mainly because I don't have a stereo to try it with. :-(
You want to be careful with speaker impedances, but if you have a third speaker
lying around, you ought to be able to get surround sound dirt-cheap.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/09/90)

 the gs has 15 channels.  current audio cards put
even channels into one speaker and odd channels into
the other.  people have built cards that allow up to
15 different speakers/channels to be hooked into the
GS (someone brought one to applefest '88 and we
played around with it..funfunfun!).  No mass
production as far as I know.  The motherboard isn't
the limited factor, is the audio cards on the
market.