[comp.sys.apple2] Launching a GS application with QuitGS

jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (MicroBrain) (09/19/90)

DISCLAIMER: I don't have the GS/OS reference, so if the information I'm
            looking for is in that, please tell me and I'll go and try to
            find it.

I am trying to write a program launcher, using Orca/C 1.1.  I got it to the
point that it would run the other program, but when the second program quits
the machine crashes.  I am launching it with a QuitGS call, flags=0, and
the pathname set to the full pathname of the next program.  I have shut down
all the tools except for SANE, Tool Locator, Memory Manager, and the Loader,
because Orca/C apprently doesn't let you shut those down from the program (they
are started up and shut down automagically)

Any help would be muchly appreciated. d:-)

-- John

      jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |     show me that you still care."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (10/10/90)

In article <26f6a8fc.44ef@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> jearls@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (MicroBrain) writes:

>DISCLAIMER: I don't have the GS/OS reference, so if the information I'm
>            looking for is in that, please tell me and I'll go and try to
>            find it.
>
>I am trying to write a program launcher, using Orca/C 1.1.  I got it to the
>point that it would run the other program, but when the second program quits
>the machine crashes.  I am launching it with a QuitGS call, flags=0, and
>the pathname set to the full pathname of the next program.  I have shut down
>all the tools except for SANE, Tool Locator, Memory Manager, and the Loader,
>because Orca/C apprently doesn't let you shut those down from the program (they
>are started up and shut down automagically)
>
>Any help would be muchly appreciated. d:-)
>
>-- John

When you make a QuitGS call from inside your program, you prevent ORCA/C's
standard "clean up" code from executing (the stuff that would normally
shut down SANE and deallocate some memory allocated when the program
started up [before it called main()], etc).  If there's any way you can
let ORCA/C transfer control to the program for you, that would be much
cleaner--in other words, hopefully they provided access to the flags and
pathname parameters in the QuitGS call that will happen when your program
exits, so that you can control which program runs next.

If this doesn't help, send me BINSCIIed object code & I can at least tell
you why it crashes.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.