[comp.sys.apple2] Source: Message Center "TYPE" Descriptions

shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) (09/24/90)

I'm trying to understand the DeskColor pascal example than came with TML
Pascal-II.

One problem I'm having is understanding the MessageCenter tool box
command. The description of the command include a TYPE field with the
note:

    The msage types are administered by DTS at Apple Coomputer.

Are these documented some where?

I lookes in the toolbox reference volume 3 and the tech notes and no luck.

/chris

|        Chris Shatara       |      Internet:    shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com|
|  Opinions expressed are    |      DEC Easynet: islnds::shatara            |
|   mine and mine only!      |      UUCP:        ...!decwrl!islnds!shatara  |

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (10/10/90)

In article <1940@mountn.dec.com> shatara@islnds.enet.dec.com (Chris Shatara) writes:
>I'm trying to understand the DeskColor pascal example than came with TML
>Pascal-II.
>
>One problem I'm having is understanding the MessageCenter tool box
>command. The description of the command include a TYPE field with the
>note:
>
>    The msage types are administered by DTS at Apple Coomputer.
>
>Are these documented some where?
>
>I lookes in the toolbox reference volume 3 and the tech notes and no luck.
>
>/chris

Very few types are actually defined as hard-coded numbers:  1 is for
the "files to open/print" message (defined in Tool Locator chapter of
Toolbox Ref volume 1), and 2 is defined by the Window Manager for the
desktop pattern or picture (see WM chapter of TB Ref volume 3).
A few other types are used by system software (for private purposes).

Other than that, you should use MessageByName (Tool Locator, volume 3);
that way nobody has to assign numbers.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.