[comp.sys.apple2] Apple's Non-Support of the GS

rhyde@hubbell.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (10/03/90)

Why is everyone around here expecting Apple to support the
Apple II line?  Is it Apple's responsibility to support a
product which obviously makes them very little money?
As for new software, I hear a lot of complaining out there,
why don't *YOU* write some of this software.  Apple has
supported the machine.  They've given us the video overlay
card and the SCSI adapter card.  How many of you bought
these cards?  Why should Apple spend lots of money promoting`
a machine which doesn't make them much money.  If you want
Apple to support the Apple II, go buy a bunch of machines!
If they start selling, they will start supporting them.

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (10/03/90)

In <9017@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@hubbell.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:

>Why is everyone around here expecting Apple to support the
>Apple II line?  Is it Apple's responsibility to support a
>product which obviously makes them very little money?

Uh, figures sir, figures.  And get them from Apple.

>why don't *YOU* write some of this software.  Apple has
>supported the machine.  They've given us the video overlay

Yeah right <note sarcasm hopefully>

>card and the SCSI adapter card.  How many of you bought
>these cards?  Why should Apple spend lots of money promoting`
>a machine which doesn't make them much money.  If you want
>Apple to support the Apple II, go buy a bunch of machines!
>If they start selling, they will start supporting them.

That's a bunch of hogwash.  The Apple II line was the bread and butter
of the company.  EVERYTHING that is Apple now is due to that one
'obsolete' machine.  And don't give me any shit about Mac making it
the company it is, the Apple II put the Mac on the map!  If it hadn't
been for the for the II, the Mac would only exist in some Xerox
research labs.  And we HAVE been supporting, and buying Apple II's
since they came out, in droves!  Apple USED to support the II's, now
they don't worth squat.  Oh yeah, a video card that is perfectly
useless for the average everday folks.  A SCSI adapter that shoulda
been there LONG ago.  Gosh, just makes me want to jump up and down.

People aren't buying Apple II's BECAUSE Apple doesn't support it,
not because we aren't buying them.  And then Apple can turn around and
saying "people aren't buying them, let's not support em", and on and
on, until they can quit making them.  And why should developers
program for the II's?  If Apple isn't going to support them, why
should they?

The only way we are going to get Apple to support them, is by a card
adapter for the Mac, unfortunately.  There would have to be a HUGE
surge in purchasing Apple's, and people are just NOT going to buy
machines from a company that doesn't support them, offers extremely
obsolete hardware and prices it exobirantly, and whose software base
isn't the hotest.

Of course, I would LOVE to have Apple make me eat my words, but I
really don't think I'm in any danger of that, do you?

-k

In article <9017@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@hubbell.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
.Why is everyone around here expecting Apple to support the
.Apple II line?  Is it Apple's responsibility to support a
.product which obviously makes them very little money?
.As for new software, I hear a lot of complaining out there,
.why don't *YOU* write some of this software.  Apple has
.supported the machine.  They've given us the video overlay
.card and the SCSI adapter card.  How many of you bought
.these cards?  Why should Apple spend lots of money promoting`
.a machine which doesn't make them much money.  If you want
.Apple to support the Apple II, go buy a bunch of machines!
.If they start selling, they will start supporting them.

	I have bought an Apple DMA SCSI card... I have no use for a
Video Overlay Card and doubt I ever will... I played with one for a
while and am VERY GLAD that Apple made it.. kinda fights against the
'Amiga is the video-editing' idea...

	I am planning on writing software for the machine. I currently
am in debt (for a car I got)... I want a hard drive before I start
programming for the GS.. otherwise it would be a pain in the butt with
disk swapping, etc...

	I already have lots of ideas for neat NDAs and litle utilities..
I think a few are truly useful, a few others are just little neato
programs..

	And do you consider a BILLION dollars a year "very little money"?
I believe the Apple II still makes Apple that much money a year.

	So I -have- bought the (personally useful to me) things you
mentioned, I -am- going to write software.. Apple DOES make a lot of money
off the II...

	I think Apple should support the II more.. I believe I've
pointed out reasons why..
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (10/03/90)

In article <9017@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@hubbell.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>.Why is everyone around here expecting Apple to support the
>.Apple II line?  Is it Apple's responsibility to support a
>.product which obviously makes them very little money?
>.As for new software, I hear a lot of complaining out there,
>.why don't *YOU* write some of this software.  Apple has
>.supported the machine.  They've given us the video overlay
>.card and the SCSI adapter card.  How many of you bought
>.these cards?  Why should Apple spend lots of money promoting`
>.a machine which doesn't make them much money.  If you want
>.Apple to support the Apple II, go buy a bunch of machines!
>.If they start selling, they will start supporting them.

Last time I heard any numbers thrown around, the A2 line was
responsible for ***ONE BILLION*** dollars income a year to
Apple.  Unless you're the gummint, that's pretty damn big bucks.
For a machine they haven't been doing much development for, that
can't be hurting the bottom line any, any more than it did when
it funded Jobs' Mac project.  And Steve Jobs is the reason my
next machine won't be a NeXT machine....

I'm hoping and praying that the announcements on the 19th will
NOT include the ]['s retirement notice, but I'm not holding my
breath.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "How do you know when a politician is lying?  His lips move."
	- M-m-max Headroom
       "Read my lips - no new taxes..."  - G. Bush, 1988

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (10/03/90)

At one time the Apple II made Apple a lot of money.  Apple supported the
machine.  Now, the Macintosh is making them more money-- for whatever reason
including they decided to "kill" off the Apple II.  So What!  Apple does
"owe" Apple II users anything.  They owe their stockholders a lot more.  They
need to maximize their profits.  They make much more profits from the Macintosh
than they do from the Apple II line.  Who besides some strapped for cash
school districts are buying lots of Apple IIs these days?  A big complaint
around here is that Apple does not advertise the machine.  Advertisements are
for those who've not yet bought the machines.  How is advertising the machine
going to improve *YOUR* life any?  Perhaps a few more people will buy the
thing.  What does that do for you?  Are you so insecure in your decision to
purchase this machine that you feel you need several others to buy one as
well, if for no other reason than to make you feel like you didn't make a
mistake?  Please don't hand me the line about more machines=more software.
Software developers today are strapped for talent and cash.  They are trying
to decide whether to put their resources into Mac, Windows, or OS/2 development.
Apple will *NEVER* sell enough GS machines to be able to attract high-quality
applications for the GS.  Perhaps a few more games would be written.  But
Apple has no interests in repeating Atari's mistakes in this arena (they do
not want to be perceived as a game company, that would hurt Mac sales, which
today *IS* their bread and butter).  My final question is WHY does Apple
have to support the machine.  Other than a few ads, I don't see too much in
these complaints.  Apple, in the past five years, has supported the machine
much better than they had the ten years (okay, eight) prior.  Finder, GS/OS,
Appleshare, etc., these are right up there with DOS, UCSD Pascal, and ProDOS.
The SCSI adapter and video overlay cards are much more interesting than any
other hardware device Apple has built for the II other than the language
card.  *WE ARE GETTING SUPPORT FROM APPLE!*  Your problem is that you look at
what's available for the PC or the Mac and you say "I want that on my GS too!"
Sorry, that ain't ever gonna happen.  If you want those neat things on a PC or
a Mac, go buy one of those machines.  If you want neat software or hardware on
the GS, write or build it yourself.  If you honestly think there is a market
for such things, start your own company and get rich selling the stuff.  The
paucity of support for the GS is not because no one has tried, it's because
no one can make money doing it (even game manufacturers would have problems
with the GS, witness all the piracy posts here).  I'm sorry for going off on
a tirade like this, but when I first bought my Apple II back in 1978 people
weren't crying to Apple to support the machine, if we wanted something we
wrote the software or designed the hardware ourselves.  I wish people around
here would start doing the same.  One sentiment that I whole-heartedly agree
with is this: Current technology has *NOT* pushed the GS to its limits yet.
If you're willing to write in 65816 assembly, you can do many wonderful things
with the machine that others have yet to achieve.  Just don't expect Apple to
do this work for you.
Two final comments: I own a Lobo Max-80 which I still use every once in a
great while.  It does the job I expect of it (the job I bought it for).  I'm
not crying to Lobo to "support" this machine (they're out of business, so I
couldn't even if I wanted to).  Likewise, my GS does the job I bought it for.
If I want something else on the GS, I'll write it myself rather than cry about
it.
(2) Don't ask *ME* to support *YOU*.  I've already paid my dues in this dept.
When you write as much software for the Apple II line as I have (probably
around 400,000 lines of code over the past 14 years) then you can get on my
case about not supporting the Apple II.  What have *YOU* done to support
the Apple recently besides complain?
*** Randy Hyde O-)
Flame off.

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (10/04/90)

I think the problem here lies in a sort of catch-22:

The software manufacturers, whether it be game people, utility people,
etc, they look at the Apple IIGS now and say, "Gee, with all this
bad press I've heard, from Apple users about Apple not supporting
the GS, I'd have reason to believe if we released this software it\
might not sell very long.  That is, if Apple discontinues the GS or if
Apple stops supporting it."

If the software and hardware manufacturers believed that there were
lots of GS users out there, and that there will be more, then they
would produce more.  It's that simple. There is only one solution:
Make the people believe we're out here waiting for their stuff and
that we will buy it.

Some problems in this idea:

1) Software pirates.  In the Apple community especially, there is probably
   the largest (or former largest now with Amiga pirates) underground
   pirate network in existance.  If (and I'm willing to bet this) over
   50% of the GS owners out there STEAL all their wares, then what sort
   of support do you expect? I used to be a software pirate years ago, and
   I know how easy it is, so it's understandable considering the price of
   software out there. But, IF YOU WANT SUPPORT, you better cut it out!

2) Shareware.  Shareware is a blessing in disguise.  Granted, it PROVES
   that there are qualified programmers out there. It distributes great
   software.  But these authors MUST be paid for their work! If they
   recieve no cash for their efforts, they might as well move to the amiga
   or IBM, each with more responsive shareware worlds.

3) Software orientation. The GS market is educational for the most part.
   But WE the general owners of the GS need software which doesn't just
   sound nice and look nice.  It has to DO something that is powerful enough
   to attract more experienced computer users...what I mean is, in this
   day and age, more people then before are computer literate, and these
   people aren't going to settle for FTA demos and games.  They will want
   applications like AppleWorks GS and GraphicWriter III for example.
   A good program, for example, might be a NDA which downloads a file in
   the background.  (Yes I know someone wrote one of these for GS+)...

...MOST IMPORTANT is that the bad press stops.

If we the GS users of the world complain, MAYBE apple hears us. But
DEFINITELY the software/hardware manufacturers hear us. What are we
complaining about is important, but start being more positive publicly
about the GS and I'm sure the attitudes of users AS WELL AS developers
will change.

And that, my friends, is the opinion of an Apple II user who's been hacking
(in a figure-of speech sense) around with one of these machines in one
form or another for years.  Since I was 11, in fact.  Any computer which
can attract an 11 year old MUST have virtue.  And back then, if you recall
(that was in 1981) games and programs weren't as pretty..but the reason
they sold better and seemed to be more interesting is not because I was
11 years old. It is because they functioned better. They're developers
were interested and *enthusiastic* about the Apple II.  It showed.

So let's make the developers out there *enthusiastic.*

We did it before.

We can do it again.

[   Jay Adelson          ]                   [   T.G.C.                       ]
[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu   ]                   [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
[   J.ADELSON1 (GEnie)   ]                   [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/04/90)

On Tue, 2 Oct 90 21:01:43 GMT randy hyde said:
>Why is everyone around here expecting Apple to support the
>Apple II line?  Is it Apple's responsibility to support a
>product which obviously makes them very little money?

Most of us think that the reason it makes them very little money is because
they don't support it.  We feel that, now, that they have a REALLY powerful
and VERY expensive machine (Mac) that they are just going to abandon the II
line and we are not very happy about that, considering the amount of money
we've invested in our machines (nearly $10,000 in my case).

>As for new software, I hear alot of complaining out there
>why don't *YOU* write some of this software.  Apple has

Some of us are, but not all of us are programmers.  Anyway, the complaint about
the lack is software is that Apples 'lack of support' for the computer has  all
but forced most of the software companies to pull out of supporting the GS.

>supported the machine.  They've given us the video overlay
>card and the SCSI adapter card.  How many of you bought
>these cards?  Why should Apple spend lots of money promoting`

I did... The SCSI card.  The VOC is priced way too high though.  two new
products for 3 or 4 machines (was the //c+ ever dropped?) in four years is
not a whole lot of support.

>a machine which doesn't make them much money.  If you want

If they supported it, it probably would.

>Apple to support the Apple II, go buy a bunch of machines!

Get real!

>If they start selling, they will start supporting them.

If they start supporting them, they will start selling.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/04/90)

In article <9034@ucrmath.ucr.edu> rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) writes:
>At one time the Apple II made Apple a lot of money.  Apple supported the
>machine.  Now, the Macintosh is making them more money-- for whatever reason
>including they decided to "kill" off the Apple II.  So What!

Did Apple officially decide to "kill" the GS? I certainly haven't heard or
received any such notice. I would suggest you quit speculating and start
quoting official announcements.

As for your statement re " owing II users nothing", I would give that more
thought than you seem to have. I have used Mac's from the beginning and am
a recent GS user. I got the GS for a certain purpose. It turned out to be
much nicer than I every imagined. One reason for getting a GS as opposed
to say an ST or a PC etc...had to do with brand name loyalty. Apple has
been good to me in the past, and I consider that it is trying to continue
that with my GS. For this reason, I have hesitated before ever getting a
computer from another company, even though there are some interesting ones
out there.

[lot's of stuff deleted which I don't understand]

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto-> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (10/04/90)

>>> Did Apple officially decide to "kill" the machine...

NO!  Far from it!  There are those inside Apple who would love to kill it,
there are those who would love to push it above the mac.  I was just stating
that for whatever reason, including the possiblity that they might have
decided to kill it, the mac is outselling the GS.

rhyde@ucrmath.ucr.edu (randy hyde) (10/04/90)

>>> a machine which doesn't make them much money.
> If they supported it, it probably would.

I disagree.  It's too late for that now.  If they doubled the speed and
cut the price in half, people would still buy Macs.  There are many, many
more interesting applications for Macs than for the GS.  If I were a
typical use and I had a choice of paying $1000 for a GS (including a floppy
and a monitor) or $700 for a Mac Classic, I'd pick the Mac Classic every
time.  Maybe *YOU* wouldn't, but you aren't a naive beginner either.  The
only reason people will buy a GS is to solve a specific problem which they
can only solve on the GS.  Alas, there aren't too many solutions which
only the GS provides.

To those of you who want decent games.  Besides writing your own, I can make
one big suggestion.  Buy a copy of ORCA/C (the only "anywhere near" decent
"C" compiler for the GS) and then call ByteWorks and bitch.  Tell them to
improve the libraries so they match the routines available for MS-
DOS.  Tell them to add new features.   Tell them to support C++.  Byteworks
will only listen to you if you are a registered user.  So make sure you
have a legitimate copy.  How will this improve the game situation?  Easy,
most game manufacturers have gone soft and they write their software in "C
for the PC, Ataris, and Amigas.  They won't write for the GS because ORCA/C
is so bad (and MPW C is much worse).  If someone would produce a passable
"C" compiler for the GS, a lot more low-end software would get ported to the
GS.  Don't try to talk 'em into writing their software in assembly.  That
won't work, I've already tried it.
*** Randy Hyde O-)

In article <9010040214.AA00152@apple.com> MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>On Tue, 2 Oct 90 21:01:43 GMT randy hyde said:
>>If they start selling, they will start supporting them.
>
>If they start supporting them, they will start selling.

	Hey, this is sounding to start like "Field of Dreams" (of which
us Apple // users have a lot of)..

	If you build it, he will come.

	If Apple builds it (i.e. either supports the GS as it is now AND/OR
		makes it even more competitive & supports it), he
		(meaning buyers/software developers.. not meant to be
		sexist, just generic) will come.

	Yeah, that's the ticket! The whole baseball movie was an allegory
(probably actually some other form of fiction whose name I can't
remember that I always confuse with allegory) for the Apple Computer/
Apple II situation!
heh

--

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (10/05/90)

> Did Apple officially decide to "kill" the GS? I certainly haven't heard or
> received any such notice. I would suggest you quit speculating and start
> quoting official announcements.

Most of us are afraid that the introduction of the low-cost Macs into
a market that seems so perfect for the GS is an indication that future
growth of the //gs has been abandoned. It may be supported, tech
notes, spare parts, etc. but no growth.

> I have used Mac's from the beginning and am
> a recent GS user. I got the GS for a certain purpose. It turned out to be
> much nicer than I every imagined.

Ahhh, I wish more Apple execs saw you write this!!

>One reason for getting a GS as opposed
> to say an ST or a PC etc...had to do with brand name loyalty. Apple has
> been good to me in the past, and I consider that it is trying to continue
> that with my GS. For this reason, I have hesitated before ever getting a
> computer from another company

True, true. Apple is a much more supportive and visible company than
its competitors, and for this reason I have been afraid to commit to
Commodore; the Amiga is a great thing, but where is the manufacturer?
Any dealers? Anything?

But Apple has always made me feel like an outsider after the //gs wass
no longer new. Dealers didn't know what an Apple // was. This is when
I got suspicious. Since then, it's just gotten worse, Apple trying to
stifle interest in the machine with Mac propaganda.

> [lot's of stuff deleted which I don't understand]
>
> Philip McDunnough
> Professor of Statistics
> University of Toronto-> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
> [my opinions]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                 | Support    | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet) |   Free     |  The above represent my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet) |    Software|  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U.|            |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/10/90)

>How is advertising the machine going to improve *YOUR* life any?

I can't believe you don't know the answer to this.  By advertising the II,
it, first of all, shows that Apple WANTS to support II and that we know that
there will be support.  By supporting the II, more software companies will
start writing more software for it, more hardware campanies will start mfg.
for it, more people will buy it, bringing more revenue to Apple for the II,
encouraging them to support it even more and produce bigger and better II's
and hopefully get the II up to par with the competition.