[comp.sys.apple2] boneheads on the net

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) (10/10/90)

In comp.sys.apple2 you write:

>In article <4872@crash.cts.com> mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) writes:

>[history of II, various ramblings, reads comp.sys.mac.* deleted]

>>Personally, I don't see an end in sight until a lot of Apple II users
>>realize that being rigid in their loyalty to the Apple II series is no
>>longer healthy, nor admirable.  Today, it is just plain stupid.  Imagine
>>hordes of C-64 users clutching their plastic boxes to their chests,

>This is an absurd statement, as well as being totally insensitive to many
>AppleII() users who have enjoyed their computers for a long time( I am
>a very new GS user who comes from the Mac world and uses Unix systems at
>work).

Why is this an absurd statement?  It makes plenty of sense.  An
Apple II+|//e|//gs isn't an appropriate machine for a large number of things.
Likewise, a SparcStation isn't either.  20 years from now I hardly expect
to be able to use the same computer I am today.  Granted, it would be
nice, but I certainly hope that better things come along in that time
period.

>>It is time to open eyes, close mouth, and just listen for a while.

>What is it we are supposed to be listening for? I am happy with the GS,

When you enter a room full of people conversing, you don't just start
talking and yammering away with the nearest group without listening first,
to determine what the conversation and attitude of the group is.
It's inpolite, rude, and could get you thrown out of the room.

Having yearlong access to the net, it was interesting/distressing to watch
the deterioration of the contents of comp.sys.apple2.  This was
caused by the influx of various peoples who did a very good job of
exibiting bad behaviour, basically acting like a bunch of boneheads.

People, you MUST realize that USENET IS A WORLD-WIDE GROUP.  Behaviour
that is acceptable at a campus beer bash is NOT ACCEPTABLE IN PUBLIC.
USENET IS PUBLIC.

> But I find it rather annoying to be lectured
>to by commercial vendors in the Mac/GS world. I'm the customer, and in
>the way our world works it is the customer who should have their concerns
>addressed and not the other way around. One thing I won't do is pander
>to the whims of the commercial vendors whether they are Apple or The
>Morgan Davis group.

Fine.  Pander to the whims of the rest of us.   People that persist in
being rude, impolite, and exibit other bonehead behavior will find that
they are taking access to USENET for granted.

USENET is a privilage, not a right.

>Philip McDunnough
>Professor of Statistics

 ^^^^^^^ I find this doubtful, given your behaviour as late.

>University of Toronto-> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
>[my opinions]

--Chan Wilson, finally pissed off enough to post something about it.

Chan Wilson  					Systems Administrator
SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/11/90)

In article <22047@wb.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson [Animal]) writes:

[ stuff deleted...]

>>>longer healthy, nor admirable.  Today, it is just plain stupid.  Imagine
>>>hordes of C-64 users clutching their plastic boxes to their chests,
>
>>This is an absurd statement, as well as being totally insensitive to many
>>AppleII() users who have enjoyed their computers for a long time( I am
>>a very new GS user who comes from the Mac world and uses Unix systems at
>>work).
>
>Why is this an absurd statement?  It makes plenty of sense.  An
>Apple II+|//e|//gs isn't an appropriate machine for a large number of things.

The reason the statement doesn't make sense is that there is nothing wrong
with remaining loyal to your computer if it does what you want it for. I
am quite happy with my GS. It does the job I got it for and more. People
typically don't have a personal committment to "most computers". This does
not appear to be the case for the GS. Its users seem to really be involved
with the computer. I see this as healthy. Computing can be fun. Not all
things are measured by a cold calculating approach to how close you are to
the edge of technology.

[ instructions on how to observe rooms of people,etc...deleted]

>> But I find it rather annoying to be lectured
>>to by commercial vendors in the Mac/GS world. I'm the customer, and in
>>the way our world works it is the customer who should have their concerns
>>addressed and not the other way around. One thing I won't do is pander
>>to the whims of the commercial vendors whether they are Apple or The
>>Morgan Davis group.
>
>Fine.  Pander to the whims of the rest of us.   People that persist in
>being rude, impolite, and exibit other bonehead behavior will find that
>they are taking access to USENET for granted.

I don't consider having been rude to anyone. That may be your interpretation
but I can assure you it is wrong, and I have been in touch with some of
the people mentioned and as far as I can tell they don't consider me rude,etc..
I am not one who thinks that Apple is trying to do in the GS. I have not
been whining,bitching,etc...re support of the GS. I think it's a fine computer
and hope that its users feel that way too. I do understand that people
sometimes feel frustrated and unappreciated. They let off a bit of steam. So
what? Things will calm down.

As to your assertion re taking the Internet access for granted, may I remind
you that you are not the guardian of morality here.

>USENET is a privilage, not a right.

So?

>>Philip McDunnough
>>Professor of Statistics

> ^^^^^^^ I find this doubtful, given your behaviour as late.

What behaviour are you referring to? I suggest you reread my postings.
I have consistently expressed nothing but satisfaction with the GS,
Apple,etc... But I also am sensitive enough to some of the frustrations
of some people on the net. As far as my academic status goes, you can
easily verify that by e-mail to the Department of Statistics or by
phoning the university where I work.

>--Chan Wilson, finally pissed off enough to post something about it.

Why pick on me! Besides you have my e-mail address.

>Chan Wilson  					Systems Administrator
>SRI Intl. Network Information Systems Center
>333 Ravenswood Ave., EJ287			Internet: cwilson@nisc.sri.com
>Menlo Park, CA., 94025				Phone: (415)859-4492
>    "If I want to be a surfer this month, I bloody well will be."

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics(whether or not you like it)