[comp.sys.apple2] Cray to design Mac

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep27.025444.11199@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:

>     This isn't a rumor.  I accept this as fact.  Apple bought their Cray to
> design that system.  My interviewer said everything BUT "88000 box to
> run Mac software" (i.e., he tried to be vague, but I could read what he was
> trying to hide).  Note that the 88000 will work on its own, but will have
> the capability to run Mac stuff so Mac users are complacent about their
> machine's death when it comes in two years.

Here is an interesting little tale:
  At the unveiling of one of the Macs long ago (Gee, there have been so many, I
can't keep up), Apple proudly announced that 'they used a Cray computer to
design their latest Macintosh computer'.  Semour Cray happened to be in the
audience and stood up and said, 'That's funny, I used a Mac to design my
latest Cray...'

--
Joel Sumner                     GENIE:JOEL.SUMNER     These opinions are
q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu   q4kx@cornella         warranted for 90 days or

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (09/29/90)

In <1990Sep28.112108.165@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:

>Here is an interesting little tale:
>  At the unveiling of one of the Macs long ago (Gee, there have been so many, I
>can't keep up), Apple proudly announced that 'they used a Cray computer to
>design their latest Macintosh computer'.  Semour Cray happened to be in the
>audience and stood up and said, 'That's funny, I used a Mac to design my
>latest Cray...'

Ah, the way I heard it back when it had come out was istead of
Macintosh, they had said Apple II.  Course it's been awhile, they
might have said just 'Apple' which could (and almost always does
anymore) mean Mac.

-k

greg@hoss.unl.edu (Hammer) (09/29/90)

... asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:
>... q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) writes:
>
>>Here is an interesting little tale:

>> At the unveiling of one of the Macs long ago (Gee, there have been so many, I
>>can't keep up), Apple proudly announced that 'they used a Cray computer to
>>design their latest Macintosh computer'.  Semour Cray happened to be in the
>>audience and stood up and said, 'That's funny, I used a Mac to design my
>>latest Cray...'
>
>Ah, the way I heard it back when it had come out was istead of
>Macintosh, they had said Apple II.  Course it's been awhile, they
>might have said just 'Apple' which could (and almost always does
>anymore) mean Mac.
>
>-k

I believe I read it in A+ (pre inCider) and it did say Apple II.  Or was
it that a Cray was being used to design the next Apple II, and that an
Apple was used to design a Cray (sans II).  Damn, now I'm going to have to
look up that old issue...

Unless someone will save me the trouble and do it...

--
     __  _____________  __
     \ \_\ \__   __/ /_/ /  "The Law:  No Jumping"

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (09/29/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple2: 28-Sep-90 Cray to design Mac (was
> 650.. Joel Sumner@vax5.cit.cor (1246)

> Apple proudly announced that 'they used a Cray computer to
> design their latest Macintosh computer'.  Semour Cray happened to be in
> the
> audience and stood up and said, 'That's funny, I used a Mac to design my
> latest Cray...'

NO!

I read this is several places, including Time Magazine, that the Cray
was used to design the Mega // and other components for the Apple //gs,
while Seymour Cray employed an Apple //e to help in designing his next
model Cray.

.. or has Apple founded the Ministry of Truth to make a few convenient
changes to the story here and there..... Soon I'll be hearing that the
Mac was the "first personal computer."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^
|Jeremy Mereness                  | Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:
|
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |   Free      |  The above represent
my|
|a700jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |    Software |  opinions, alone.
|
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |             |  Ya Gotta Love It.

whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) (10/06/90)

Apple use Cray to make better Mac IIs, and Cray used Mac IIs to build better
Crays.

It was definitely the Mac not an Apple II.  Sorry, I remember it quite well, I
remember it, because I was pretty awed by the original Mac II when it came out
and I use to follow the stories quite closely.  I own a Apple IIgs.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/07/90)

In article <0093DC22243C5940.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>Apple use Cray to make better Mac IIs, and Cray used Mac IIs to build better
>Crays.

I wonder how Seymour was able to use a machine that hadn't been produced yet.

It is probably the case that Seymour would have used a Macintosh (but not a
Mac II at the time).  His Cray operating systems were excessively unfriendly.
They've improved somewhat, but UniCOS does still contain some gratuitous
deviations from standard UNIX.  There are very few applications for which a
Cray mainframe is cost-effective; most software (and hardware) development
work would be better done on a supermini such as SGI, Alliant, Sequent,
Convex, et. al.  The main use I have for the two Crays we have here (an
X-MP/48 and a Cray-2) is to use their ANSI C implementation to check source
code for portability problems (both involving __STDC__-specific usage and
for verifying that 64-bit integral representations do not cause problems).
There are of course users who believe that they really do require a Cray...

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/08/90)

In article <0093DC22243C5940.00000110@dcs.simpact.com> whitewolf@gnh-starport.cts.com (Tae Song) writes:
>Apple use Cray to make better Mac IIs, and Cray used Mac IIs to build better
>Crays.
>
>It was definitely the Mac not an Apple II.  Sorry, I remember it quite well, I
>remember it, because I was pretty awed by the original Mac II when it came out
>and I use to follow the stories quite closely.  I own a Apple IIgs.

Must be a different quote, because the Mac II didn't exist yet.  Nor did the
Apple IIgs for that matter.

I even have a vague recollection of reading the quote in Softalk magazine...
that would put it right around the time when the Lisa ("Max XL") was going
down and the Mac was coming up...

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/11/90)

No doubt that my message will just join the fray of those messages whom one is
inclined to comment "He doesn't know what he's talking about..."
I remember when the whole thing happened too.  Being an electronics student, I
was inclined to read the trades heavily and the article in one of those mags
said that when the first order for a Cray was placed, someone of the VPs
called Mr Cray and told him that "Apple just placed an order, they're going to
use it to design their new computers on it".  At that point, he responed with
"It seems only fair, I designed mine on theirs."  The software use was a
simulator for logic analysis whom I can't remember quite but I used to have a
pirate copy of it (Untill I got religion).  It was run on an Apple ][+ with
64K, two 5.25" drives.

On that note, has anyone ever read any articles about Burt Rutan?  The guy
that designed the Voyager not to mention all those neat looking (and kinda
wierd) private kit style airplanes?  He still uses his original A][ with one
drive (as I remember) and a obscure zenith monitor to design the airfoils that
he uses.  TO THIS DAY!  HE STILL USES IT!

Last one, care to take a trivia quiz?  What was the FIRST "Personal Computer"
in space?  An Apple ][+!

Well, 'nuff wasted bandwith.  See everyone later.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs