[comp.sys.apple2] communications programs

pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon) (10/01/90)

What is the best communications program available for us GS owners?

I would like to find a program that supported a full range of baud
rates, allowed easy and fast receiving and sending of all kinds of
programs, and supported many different terminal types (including vt100).

Are the shareware/freeware programs out there just as good as the ones
you can buy?

Where can you buy the good programs relatively cheaply?

Thanks,
Patrick Gannon
pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Internet)
...!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!pmgannon (UUCP)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/01/90)

Personally, I use ProTerm on my IIgs because it is fast, can handle high
speeds, and supports many file transfer protocols, including Xmodem,
Ymodem batch, Zmodem, and kermit, and mand terminal emulations,
including VT52, VT100, and a "ProTerm Special" emulation.

SnowTerm does a REALLY good job of VT100 emulation, including some of
the terminal's features that can't be done on the Apple text screen.
It's a shareware GS desktop application.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

In article <Yb1dwai00VosIUVV8q@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:

>SnowTerm does a REALLY good job of VT100 emulation, including some of
>the terminal's features that can't be done on the Apple text screen.
>It's a shareware GS desktop application.

I tried SnowTerm and like you said, it has great vt100 emulation.  It
has one severe drawback though -- it cannot receive files.  I have just
tried out the shareware version and have not sent in $$$ yet.  Does
anyone know if you get file receving features when you pay up?  Or is
this just a really obvious improvement that could be made to an
otherwise good program?

fkhatib@wpi.WPI.EDU (Silver Singer) (10/07/90)

In article <Yb1dwai00VosIUVV8q@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
>Personally, I use ProTerm on my IIgs because it is fast, can handle high
>speeds, and supports many file transfer protocols, including Xmodem,
>Ymodem batch, Zmodem, and kermit, and mand terminal emulations,
>including VT52, VT100, and a "ProTerm Special" emulation.

What *is* the ProTerm Special?  How is it set?  Etc etc etc...

ProTerm is great...no complaints.

Oh, incidently..how do you download GIFs to disk using it?  I haven't had
any success...

-Chris
--
 \  //\-\    Chris the Silver Singer     fkhatib@wpi.wpi.edu <-NOTE, NEW
  \/o  \/-\   (Silver Singer the Silver Unicorn)               ADDRESS

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/08/90)

ProTERM special simply responds in ceratin ways to some control
characters; I can post a list if you want.  To D/L a GIF, or any other
file, just use the normal file transfer commands.  You may need BINSCII
and/or ShrinkIt to extract them.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu

>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (10/11/90)

I set-up some simple ProTerm special menus on my BBS if you want to see some.
They are program using Mousetext and certain control characters that make the
cursor do different "Tricks".  I use a program to do that... Can't think of it
off hand. :)

Mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil