[comp.sys.apple2] Multitasking ona GS

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (10/07/90)

Is anyone out there using Softswitch on a GS?  I have it but have never
set up a disk to boot into it.  I am thinking about revising my setup so
that I would boot into SoftSwitch and running ecp8 in one window, TIC in
another, binscii in another and shrinkit in the last.  This would give
me a pretty nice environment, where I could be downloading files in
ymodem batch mode in one window, and, when the download completed, switching
to the binscii to turn it into a shk file and, 70% or less of the time,
switching to shrinkit to extract the non-forked files.

Has anyone tried anything like this?  Am I just dreaming?  How much
memory am I going to need?  I would think that it shouldnt be too bad -
sounds like less than 500k, which I have.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/08/90)

In article <9010071043.AA06954@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>Is anyone out there using Softswitch on a GS?

Yes, I use it mostly when playing 8-bit Apple games, in order to add a
"save state" feature to them.  It works quite nicely, so long as you
don't do anything crazy such as removing a file from one "window" while
it's being used in another "window".

>I am thinking about revising my setup so that I would boot into SoftSwitch
>and running ecp8 in one window, TIC in another, binscii in another and
>shrinkit in the last.

? While this sounds pretty nice, you don't "boot into" SoftSwitch.  What
you'd do here would be to boot into ecp8, and when it reached the input
wait state pop into SoftSwitch to save ecp8 in one window, pop back to
ecp8 and load TIC, enter SoftSwitch to save the TIC state, restore ecp8
from the saved version, load binscii, enter SS, save binscii, restore
ecp8, load shrinkit (8-bit version), enter SS, save shrinkit, etc.

>Has anyone tried anything like this?  Am I just dreaming?

It sounds perfectly feasible to me.  I haven't tried that specific
combination; usually one of my SoftSwitch saved states is the old 8-bit
Desktop rather than ecp8, but unless ecp8 would get confused by memory
being allocated (via the toolbox) by "ghostly" means, i.e. any not under
its direct control, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.  Each
regular application sees in effect a standard 128K Apple environment.

>How much memory am I going to need?

Each application needs about 128K, plus some for SoftSwitch itself.  500K
sounds a bit tight; you might be better off not tying up so much memory
for applications that are only occasionally needed, ESPECIALLY if they
need to be started from scratch for each actual use ("binscii" might be
in that category; I'm not familiar with it).

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (10/11/90)

On the topic of SoftSwitch.  . .Using SoftSwitch from a P16/GS/OS application
is a waste.  I can't boot up GS/OS, then run a P8 progrm and still have enough
room for SoftSwicthing.  How do you install a CDA w/o GS/OS?

--
Sameer Parekh  :-)      |  "Censorship is the worst crime ever commited"
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM      |      -Sameer Parekh

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (10/12/90)

In article <9010071043.AA06954@lilac.berkeley.edu>, lwv27@CAS.BITNET says:

>Is anyone out there using Softswitch on a GS?  I have it but have never
>set up a disk to boot into it.  I am thinking about revising my setup so
>that I would boot into SoftSwitch and running ecp8 in one window, TIC in
>another, binscii in another and shrinkit in the last.  This would give
>me a pretty nice environment, where I could be downloading files in
>ymodem batch mode in one window, and, when the download completed, switching
>to the binscii to turn it into a shk file and, 70% or less of the time,
>switching to shrinkit to extract the non-forked files.
>
>Has anyone tried anything like this?  Am I just dreaming?  How much
>memory am I going to need?  I would think that it shouldnt be too bad -
>sounds like less than 500k, which I have.

Simple enough. Forget all about it. The programs in other "windows" aren't
really running. They are in a "dead-zone" where they do absolutly nothing.
Softswitch is primarily useful when using something like Appleworks with
say Basic or a program launcher. Forget about running tasks in the background,
we just don't have any programs with that kind of capability yet...

>--
>Larry W. Virden
>Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu
>Personal: 674 Falls Place,   Reynoldsburg,OH 43068-1614
>Proline: lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com  America Online: lvirden CIS: [75046,606]
| Salvatore A. Buttice | Bitnet: SAB121@PSUVM           \_ Preferred    |
| RD#1 Box 488         | InterNet: sab121@psuvm.psu.edu /  (It's Free!) |
| Espyville, PA 16424  | Cleveland FreeNet: aj670 \_ If the above does  |
|   Apple II ForEver!! | America Online: Sal15    /  not work for you!  |