[comp.sys.apple2] Mattd

UD151606@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Steve Drees) (10/08/90)

[Lots o' stuff about Duet deleted]

>	By the way, as an aside, Matt Deatherage has been unsubscribed to
>comp.sys.apple2 for a while now and has no plans to resubscribe. It's
>because of all the whining and complaining that goes on around here. Hey,
>I'm the first to admit I'm one of the whiners and complainers, I just
>thought some people might want to know what happened to him.
>
>	AND, as he said when I asked him if I could tell everyone this,
>DO NOT FILL HIS mailbox with technical questions. He does -NOT- want to
>be mailed tech questions!
>--
>/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
I hope all of those who were bitching, complaining, griping, moaning and being
as immature as possible realize that you have killed some of the best
support Apple // users were getting! Thanks alot guys! (All sarcasm is
intended.)

+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| Steve Drees      | So you can play a guitar, does that mean we have |
| UD151606@NDSUVM1 | to listen to all your humanistic philisophies?!? |
| II Thess. 5:17   |                                    -One Bad Pig  |
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/08/90)

In article <9010080345.AA02191@apple.com> UD151606@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Steve Drees) writes:
>I hope all of those who were bitching, complaining, griping, moaning and being
>as immature as possible realize that you have killed some of the best
>support Apple // users were getting!

That's like blaming the negotiators when terrorists decide to kill hostages.
Certainly, MattD must have primary responsibility for his own decisions.

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (10/08/90)

In article <14054@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <9010080345.AA02191@apple.com> UD151606@VM1.NODAK.EDU (Steve
>Drees) writes:
>>I hope all of those who were bitching, complaining, griping, moaning and
>>being as immature as possible realize that you have killed some of the best
>>support Apple // users were getting!
>
>That's like blaming the negotiators when terrorists decide to kill hostages.
>Certainly, MattD must have primary responsibility for his own decisions.

Perhaps, though if the negotiators had a part in aggrevating the terrorists
they should accept part of the blame. Matt was essentially online giving tech
support becuase he wanted to, but often ended up responding to "they're
killing the Apple II off" messages. Why he felt he had to I cannot say, but
apparently he got tired of all these messages and left. It was his decision,
but if we as a group spent less time griping perhaps he'd still be around...
who knows.

Apple may kill the Apple II, but only we, the users, can kill the Apple II
spirit.

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/09/90)

On Sun, 7 Oct 90 22:37:01 CDT Steve Drees said:
>I hope all of those who were bitching, complaining, griping, moaning and being
>as immature as possible realize that you have killed some of the best
>support Apple // users were getting! Thanks alot guys! (All sarcasm is
>intended.)

I assume you knew there'd be replies to this?  First of all, considering I've
invested nearly $10,000 in my GS and I've seen virtually no support in the last
four years... since the GS was introduced and TEN new Macintoshes since then,
I don't think bringing that up is immature at all.  Second, I had every
intension of my first message being my last.(I don't know about every one else)
Every time I, or any one else, mentioned the lack of support problem, somebody
else had to jump up and down saying we were wrong... adding to the 'negative'
messages and, of course, we're going to reply back defending our position.
Then, there were even MORE messages about people arguing over arguing which,
definitely wasn't needed.  All that did was stir up more hostile feelings and
encourage people to argue even more... as with your, "and being as immature
as possible" comment.  As for the 'bitching and moaning' part... most of us
were, in the beginning, simply pointing out the lack of support problem and
people had to start jumping all over us.  I don't like the arguing any more
than you do, and posting messages like the one I quoted here, just makes
things worse.  The people that post, "Shut up, I'm tired of hearing it!" are
just as much to blame, probably even more, than the people trying to discuss,
rationally, the problem.  I don't like hearing that Apple doesn't give much
support to my computer any more than anyone else.  Just because I don't like
that that problem exists, doesn't mean I should just ignore it.  Ignoring a
problem just makes it worse.

>+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
>| Steve Drees      | So you can play a guitar, does that mean we have |
>| UD151606@NDSUVM1 | to listen to all your humanistic philisophies?!? |
>| II Thess. 5:17   |                                    -One Bad Pig  |
>+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/09/90)

Just a note re the MattD "unsubscribing to comp.sys.apple2" issue. Many
people have been venting their frustrations re Apple's supposed attempts
to do in the GS. I don't share that view but for those who do, I see
nothing wrong with people having a say concerning what to many amounts
to years of work going unrecognized or placed in danger.

If the AppleII()'s existance depends on one or two people, then it is in
worse shape than I thought. The Apple DTS people are usually here because
they want to help the line. If one person decides to take a break or
whatever, I don't feel people should view it as the sky falling in. Other
newsgroups have company representatives on them, and many contain quite a
few postings of a "bitching" nature.

Just remember, Apple is there to help its customers and not the other way
around.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/11/90)

I would like to point out that stating your opinions about apples lack of
support on this net will not solve your problems with apple.  Maybe if the
people that have the power to change the policies were here that might be a
different story.  However just us poor folk are here! (lack of power in
apple).  The only thing that I can see that is productive about the complaning
is that it makes you feel better, as I feel better now stating my views.  If
you really want to make a difference, catch a plane, bus, what ever and go the
the corporate headquaters and jump on somebody in person, not the net.

UUCP:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg           INET: jackg@pro-ldm.cts.com
ARPA:     crash!pnet01!pro-ldm!jackg@nosc.mil
ProLine:  jackg@pro-ldm                            300-9600 baud (HST)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/12/90)

.
 cts.com!jackg@DECWRL.DEC.COM>

On Thu, 11 Oct 90 07:36:12 GMT System Administrator said:

>I would like to point out that stating your opinions about apples lack of
>support on this net will not solve your problems with apple.  Maybe if the
>people that have the power to change the policies were here that might be a
>different story.  However just us poor folk are here! (lack of power in
>apple).  The only thing that I can see that is productive about the complaning
>is that it makes you feel better, as I feel better now stating my views.  If
>you really want to make a difference, catch a plane, bus, what ever and go the
>the corporate headquaters and jump on somebody in person, not the net.

First of all, I think posting here WILL make, at least, a little difference.
Second, as I've said before, the original intent was not to try to really
change anything, but just to discuss it in one or two messages, and, that, in
itself, might do a little good, but later, I just had to start defending
myself against the people that kept saying, "STOP APPLE BASHING!".
Talking about it here will encourage people to start writing letters and let
Apple know how they feel.  The more letters Apple gets, the better the chance
of support, even though the new letters that are sent will probably only make
a small dent, at least it's something.