[comp.sys.apple2] Shrinkit for MS-DOS

rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) (10/08/90)

Is there a utility that will extract Shrinkit and/or BLU files under MS-DOS?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Randy

Randy Miller
proline:rs.miller@pro-harvest
uucp:crash!pro-harvest!rs.miller
internet:rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com

Home:Box 103
     Darien, WI 53114

Never teach a pig to sing.  You'll drive yourself nuts, and annoy the pig.

In article <4870@crash.cts.com> rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:
>Is there a utility that will extract Shrinkit and/or BLU files under MS-DOS?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>Randy

	Previous versions of Andy McFadden's NuLib program would compile under
MSDOS, I'm pretty sure.. so I see no reason why the newest version won't.

	This could be wrong obviously.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/09/90)

In article <7622@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <4870@crash.cts.com> rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:
>>Is there a utility that will extract Shrinkit and/or BLU files under MS-DOS?
>	Previous versions of Andy McFadden's NuLib program would compile under
>MSDOS, I'm pretty sure.. so I see no reason why the newest version won't.

You need Microsoft C to compile it.  People with Mess-DOS binaries are
welcome to put them on the anonymous FTP site.

BTW, NuLib handles both ShrinkIt v3.03 and BLU, but does not at present handle
GS/ShrinkIt's LZW-II compression.

>>Randy
>/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/10/90)

>>>Is there a utility that will extract Shrinkit and/or BLU files under MS-DOS?
>>	Previous versions of Andy McFadden's NuLib program would compile under
>>MSDOS, I'm pretty sure.. so I see no reason why the newest version won't.
>
>You need Microsoft C to compile it.  People with Mess-DOS binaries are
>welcome to put them on the anonymous FTP site.

Does anyone know where one could get ahold of the source code?...assuming
Andy has released it.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/10/90)

I grabbed NuLib once to compile under UNIX.  I forget offhand what version of
NuLib I have; I know it doesn't do LZW compression.  I keep UNIX sources
offline on Apple II disks and would rather use NuLib than compress to make the
files I download; I'd then be able to unpack them on the II with ShrinkIt
(whatever good that would be).  Is there a newer version of NuLib that I don't
know about?  I was off the net for the summer, so I wouldn't have heard if a
newer version was available.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (10/11/90)

In article <4870@crash.cts.com> rs.miller@pro-harvest.cts.com (Randy Miller) writes:
>Is there a utility that will extract Shrinkit and/or BLU files under MS-DOS?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>Randy

On the topic of MS-DOS Shrinkit. . .I asked sometime ago somewhere how to undo
IBM-type shrinks. I found GS Shrinkit/  However, about 80% of all
IBM shrinks are ZIPed now.  Is there an APple //gs way to unZIPem?

--
Sameer Parekh  :-)      |  "Censorship is the worst crime ever commited"
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM      |      -Sameer Parekh

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/13/90)

Sameer,
 There is an UnZip utility that has been around for a few years for the //GS.
It works great. The only catch is that it is a shell application so you need
APW or Orca to use it. It should be on the FTP sites or someone here can
Binscii it for you.