[comp.sys.apple2] good games

ericmcg@pnet91.UUCP (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (10/06/90)

On the GS Dungeon Master can't be beat, from the makers of Sundog, also a
great game on the 8-bits. I have Rescue Raiders and think that it is
fantastic, but it's gotten a bit easy to beat in recent years.
I enjoy Silent Service, Battlefront, KampfGruppe series and several other
wargames that up until recently were not available on any other system (this
is why I got a //c back in 1985). `

Zany Golf is great, but Marble Madness lacks.

Alien Mind is OK, but I prefer Xenocide.

BTW how many people like Xenocide? Greenstone claims to have sold only 4000
copies, this means about .5% of all GS owners bought this game. Any comments?

Shareware games worth getting: Orbizone, One Arm Battle, maybe
Pyramid/Solitaire.

I would like to see (for the GS): Ultima6, MechWarrior, Silent Service2,
Battle of Britain, SimCIty, Populous, Falcon.

I certainly have the money to spend on these games, but no one's giving me the
chance. I think I will look into Space Ace, Sounds neat, but I want to put it
on my HD.

UUCP: bkj386!pnet91!ericmcg
INET: ericmcg@pnet91.cts.com

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (10/06/90)

Can anyone give a review of Space Ace?  I saw the Amiga demo that's been
around for a while and I was blown away by the animation (looked exactly like
a cartoon)...  how does the GS version stack up?

--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/07/90)

In article <9010060515.aa13533@generic.UUCP> ericmcg@pnet91.UUCP (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>BTW how many people like Xenocide? Greenstone claims to have sold only 4000
>copies, this means about .5% of all GS owners bought this game. Any comments?

That is strange.  I couldn't find Xenocide in the local software stores
until recently; now many of them have it on the shelves.  Perhaps the dark,
quiet cover is causing potential customers to overlook it.  Certainly of
the many IIGS games I own, Xenocide is the one I most highly recommend.
It takes a while to "get into", but it certainly repays the effort.  After
shooting my way through a level of threats, I'm often breathless.  (By the
way, the extensive copy protection was a nuisance.  I finally got my copy
cracked and installed on my hard disk.  This work shouldn't have been
necessary!)

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (10/07/90)

I played Xenocide at my friend's house some time ago.  I didn't buy it.. I
didn't like it.  Hey, graphics and sound are fantastic, but it's not up my
alley.. too darn difficult!

    Reardon--Magic with an attitude.  Do not walk the metaplanes alone.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon

"Hey Horace, there's more drek goin' on out there than you can dig even when
you're hotwired.  Y'catch?"
             -- From the hit simsense, _Hamlet 2050_, Elan Vital Productions.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/08/90)

In article <4859@crash.cts.com> tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) writes:
>I played Xenocide at my friend's house some time ago.  I didn't buy it.. I
>didn't like it.  Hey, graphics and sound are fantastic, but it's not up my
>alley.. too darn difficult!

I thought that at first, and again upon initial encounter with each new
type of "level".  However, with some practice, it becomes much easier.
For example, there is no need to reach the moonbase with the first of
your hovercraft, if you prefer to collect a lot of ammo cannisters.  Or,
there is no need to gather a LOT of ammo if you prefer to reach the
moonbase on your first hovercraft.  Either decision has advantages and
disadvantages for playing the next level.

It would have been nice, though, to have some way to start at a deeper
level (without official "score" credit) in order to practice without
having to first fight through earlier levels.

r.levy@cooper.cooper.EDU (Rami Levy ) (10/09/90)

In article <9010060515.aa13533@generic.UUCP>, ericmcg@pnet91.UUCP (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:

[some deleted]
> Alien Mind is OK, but I prefer Xenocide.
>
> BTW how many people like Xenocide? Greenstone claims to have sold only 4000
> copies, this means about .5% of all GS owners bought this game. Any comments?

I've never played Alien Mind, but I think Xenocide is one of the BEST (if not
THE best) games I have played on the GS.  The sound is great, the game is fun,
and the graphics are out of this world...Not to mention the concept! I don't
know WHY more people don't (Legally???) own this game.

> Shareware games worth getting: Orbizone, One Arm Battle, maybe
> Pyramid/Solitaire.

 Can you PLEASE tell me where I can get these, especially Orbizone and
Solitaire?? I've been looking for these for months.  (ftp sites).

> I would like to see (for the GS): Ultima6, MechWarrior, Silent Service2,
> Battle of Britain, SimCIty, Populous, Falcon.

I second that!!
					Rami
APPLE II FOREVER!

r.levy@marvin.cooper.edu

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/11/90)

Doug,

The current version of Xenocide IS NOT COPY PROTECTED.  I got the same
version you did, and just called the publisher.   They swapped the
disk I got for a new one without copy protection.

Seymour

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/11/90)

In article <Oct.10.21.54.39.1990.29724@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
> Doug,
>
> The current version of Xenocide IS NOT COPY PROTECTED.  I got the same
> version you did, and just called the publisher.   They swapped the
> disk I got for a new one without copy protection.
>
> Seymour

A publisher who is willing to take this step deserves to be supported. Heck,
I may buy a copy now, even if I don't have a GS.

bob church
bchurch.cs.oucsace.ohoiu.edu

In article <2091@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:
>In article <Oct.10.21.54.39.1990.29724@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>> The current version of Xenocide IS NOT COPY PROTECTED.  I got the same
>> version you did, and just called the publisher.   They swapped the
>> disk I got for a new one without copy protection.
>A publisher who is willing to take this step deserves to be supported. Heck,
>I may buy a copy now, even if I don't have a GS.

	I'm not absolutely positive but I think it's still key-disk
protected.. at least it'll go on a HD though.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S Mackovitch) (10/14/90)

> I'm not absolutely positive but I think it's still key-disk
>protected.. at least it'll go on a HD though.

No, it isn't key-disk!.  I bought it a week ago and put it on my
HD, and it runs fine from there and never looks for the key-disk.

-mike
Mike Mackovitch                      University of Illinois @ Urbana/Champaign
Engineering Computer Science Co-op                 | msm26708@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
"I don't worry 'bout a thing, 'cause I know        |          -or-
  nothing's gonna be all right."      -Mose Allison|  coach@gagme.chi.il.us