[comp.sys.apple2] Looking for comp.sources.apple2

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (10/12/90)

Okay - I have tried sending mail to the moderator of this group but
havent heard from him for several weeks.  Where are the postings?
We went thru a lot of discussions about the archive site, and the last
I heard, which was 3-5 weeks ago now, was that the upcoming weekend sources
would start appearing.  They didnt.
--
Larry W. Virden
Business: UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27  INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (10/13/90)

lwv27@CAS.BITNET Larry W. Virden
> Okay - I have tried sending mail to the moderator of this group but
> havent heard from him for several weeks.

Well, the moderator never got your email.  Golly.  How about that.
Shucks.  (And you heard from me about ten days ago, Larry.)

> Where are the postings?
> We went thru a lot of discussions about the archive site, and the last
> I heard, which was 3-5 weeks ago now, was that the upcoming weekend sources
> would start appearing.  They didnt.

Well, the moderator wrote a simple apple archiving program which is still
being hashed out.  He also changed jobs and has been a bit busy the past
few weeks.  He will try to post the archiver, some adminstrative things
about how posting should work, and some actual code, real soon.  Ok?  He
is trying to get everything together; scrounging up all the tools
necessary to do a good job takes a bit of time.

(For those of you who haven't guessed, I am the moderator of
comp.sources.apple2.  I also would have responded to Larry via email,
but some of you are probably wondering the same things he is.)

Jonathan A. Chandross
Internet: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!paul.rutgers.edu!jac

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/14/90)

In article <Oct.12.21.33.32.1990.21745@paul.rutgers.edu> jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) writes:
>Well, the moderator wrote a simple apple archiving program which is still
>being hashed out.

To elaborate on this a little:  There has been substantial off-line
discussion concerning the best format for source archives, as well as
several trial implementations of archiver/dearchiver programs (in C
initially, with consideration of porting to AppleSoft BASIC).  I
contributed to code to the archiver/dearchiver that I had been using
for host/Apple file interchange, which was very clean and simple, but
which first of all benefitted from one design change to avoid having
to perform further file transformation on the host system, and which
secondly turned out to be TOO simple when the brain damage introduced
by various mailers (particularly on BITNET, but to some degree also
on other systems) was taken into account.  This necessitated the
redesign of the archive format.  I think that has just about settled
down, and JAC has developed his own implementation of archiver/
dearchiver for the revised format.  I'll probably be updating mine
also.  One of these implementations is likely to be the first set of
sources posted to comp.sources.apple2.

We only want to go through this once, which is why we've been working
so hard on it up front.