[comp.sys.apple2] A newer version of Kermit ?

UD041948@NDSUVM1.BITNET (10/14/90)

Does anyone know if there's ever going to be a newer version of Kermit
after v3.86?  MS-DOS (sorry to make comparisons, but it's true) if up
to v3.01 and has some features such a 2000 byte packets and such.  Is
there any way of porting MacKermit to the GS so we could get the same
such features?  Also, Apple Kermit keeps screwing up my binary transfers.
All this is very annoying.  I'm sure if there's a source code out there,
it wouldn't be that difficult to port (I don't know C, otherwise I
probably would).
-------
  Joe Carlin (FWA)    My other puter's a Cray    ud041948@ndsuvm1.bitnet
 "We have to go save the Universe, you see," said Ford, "and if that
  sounds like a pretty lame excuse, then you may be right.  Either way
  we're off."         - Ford Prefect, Life, the Universe, and Everything

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/14/90)

In article <4766UD041948@NDSUVM1> UD041948@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>All this is very annoying.  I'm sure if there's a source code out there,
>it wouldn't be that difficult to port (I don't know C, otherwise I
>probably would).

Source code for all versions of Kermit for all machines should be available
from Columbia University, which distributes all the different kinds of Kermit.
They keep source code and compiled programs on one of their anonymous-FTP
machines, but I don't know off-hand which one (it's been a long time).  Grab
the nearest available copy of ftp.sites and do a "grep *.columbia.edu" to
determine which machine has Kermit sources.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/14/90)

It's watsun.cc.columbia.edu. The directory you want is kermit/a or
something similar. Do an 'ls app*' and you will get all the apple
kermit files. The files that end in .m65 are 6502 source code.

I have thought about trying to port the generic C kermit source into
ORCA/C and add GS/OS character device support, but I don't have the
time (I am working on AppleTalk projects among other things at the
moment -- how does 'BroadCast GS' strike you?)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (10/14/90)

In article <4766UD041948@NDSUVM1> UD041948@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>Does anyone know if there's ever going to be a newer version of Kermit
>after v3.86?

	Yes.  Ted Medin has released a new version of Kermit-65 each
fall.  Kermit-65 v3.87 is undergoing final beta and should be out Real
Soon Now.  (And a nice version it is, too ...)

>Also, Apple Kermit keeps screwing up my binary transfers.
>All this is very annoying.

	Ted would appreciate hearing from you, I'm sure.  He just
loves bug reports. :-)  You may reach him at medin-t@nosc.mil.

--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           ralpho@fauvax.bitnet   |   The       |