[comp.sys.apple2] Apple's stupid "Backup ][" backup program

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (10/08/90)

I posted this a while ago, but got no response. So here it is again.

On the Apple ][ SCSI utilities, Apple included what I thought was
a nice disk backup program. Well, this program has screwed me but good.

I backed up my HD faithfully every other day. When the hard disk died,
I was not concerned. I got a new drive, and went to restore, but
got "date/time stamp" errors.

I want to find the author of this program and kill him in a very
painful and slow manner. :-). I have spent four hours paging
through this programs code and it is the ugliest and most vile
machine code I've ever seen. I have spent a similar amount of
time paging through the disks themselves for hints of this
date/time stamp.

If the author sees this: Why, why, oh WHY did you not include
the ability to proceed IN SPITE of errors? Like "time/date stamps
don't match. Continue anyway?" Doesn't that make sense? Watch your
back, buddy!

If anyone else has a solution, I'd like to hear it. I got as far
as some of the stuff from $673E-$6795. I'm just getting sick
of the whole thing.

I need to know either how to patch out the time/date check,
or fix the time/date on the backup disks.

Anyone else know of a hard disk backup program that WORKS?

--
Nick Sayer               |  "Disclaimer? I don't think so!
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  |   Homey don't play dat."

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/10/90)

Nick Sayer,
 I can't help you with your hard disk recovery (I'm not that good a programmer
yet). However, I can recommend a good harddrive backup program to you,
provided that you have a //GS. I use Vitesse's Salvation Guardian and it is
spectacular. It has the ability to back up all or some files (according to
date created, etc). You can even pause a backup and resume at any later
time! I did this once and it works beautifully. (I started before going to
work and picked up right where I left off after work.)

daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com (Dave Harvey) (10/11/90)

>Anyone else know of a hard disk backup program that WORKS?

--
>Nick Sayer               |  "Disclaimer? I don't think so!
>mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  |   Homey don't play dat."
>N6QQQ  [44.2.1.17]       |
>209-952-5347 (Telebit)   |                      -- Homey the Clown

ProSel has a very good backup program.  One of the many utilities on the
disk.  You can get Prosel directly from the author or from most of the
mail order houses, such as Quality Computers.  There's ProDOS 8 and GS/OS
versions.

proline: pro-novapple!daveharv                    |
uucp: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv          |   Pro-novapple BBS
arpa: crash!pnet01!pro-novapple!daveharv@nosc.mil |  300/1200/2400/9600 Baud
Internet: daveharv@pro-novapple.cts.com           |    703-671-0416

Northern Virginia Apple Users Group               |
P.O. Box 8211, Falls Church, VA 22041             |

randy@Oswego.EDU (Randy Fromm) (10/13/90)

Without being privy to the original complaint about Apple's Backup][
program, I can imagine the problem.  Upon first obtaining my Vulcan for
my GS and attempting to back it up I ran into the problem that GSOS files
wouldn't backup (resource forks?)

I thought *IBM* stood for "I bought more"... but *NO*... I had to go and
get another program to backup my newly acquired harddisk.  Didn't bother
me though.  I got a great shell inwhich to operate as well as a GREAT
backup program:  ProSEL-16!!  Consider it as an alternative...

-randy@oswego.oswego.edu

penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com (Mark Steiger) (10/15/90)

I used Salvation for my HD backup.  I then bought a new HD and sold my old one.
I tried to recover the disk, but my catalog disk was wrecked.  Which ment, no
restore possible.  I lost alot on my hard drive because of that.  I don't
backup much anymore.  I just make manual copies of the programs and important
text files.

mark

     [ Mark Steiger, Sysop, The Igloo  218/262-3142     300/1200/2400 baud]

ProLine.:penguin@gnh-igloo                          America Online: Goalie5
UUCP....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin                    MCI Mail......: MSteiger
Internet:penguin@gnh-igloo.cts.com
ARPA....:crash!gnh-igloo!penguin@nosc.mil