[comp.sys.apple2] New Games

macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (07/11/90)

Has anyone heard of any new an exciting games recently?  I haven't
seen anything really good since tunnels of armagedon....

RM
--
/* Robert MacAusland -> macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca */

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (07/13/90)

In article <90Jul10.192743edt.57496@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>, macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:

> Has anyone heard of any new an exciting games recently?  I haven't
> seen anything really good since tunnels of armagedon....

I keep hoping to see a new one someplace.  I'm in the process of selling off
my 10 Mhz //e to pay for a Ms. Dos machine just so I can play games like
_Harpoon_ and _Steel Thunder_.  I've still got my IIgs and have even thought
about buying a PC Transporter to be able to bridge the software gap but I
think I'd rather have VGA.

What do we have to do to get these new games ported to our machines?
--
Paul Hutmacher   |       paul@nuchat.UUCP        |Sometimes the only thing a
P.O. Box 66046   | {texbell, uunet}!nuchat!paul  |western savage understands

pmcd@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (07/14/90)

In article <25929@nuchat.UUCP> paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>In article <90Jul10.192743edt.57496@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>, macausla@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) writes:
>
>> Has anyone heard of any new an exciting games recently?  I haven't
>> seen anything really good since tunnels of armagedon....
>
>I keep hoping to see a new one someplace.  I'm in the process of selling off
>my 10 Mhz //e to pay for a Ms. Dos machine just so I can play games like
>_Harpoon_ and _Steel Thunder_.  I've still got my IIgs and have even thought
>about buying a PC Transporter to be able to bridge the software gap but I
>think I'd rather have VGA.
>
>What do we have to do to get these new games ported to our machines?

Well for a start, it would not hurt if the GS were improved along the ROM04
lines, as reported by the rumour mill. I suspect you will see lot's of new
style games emerge with HyperCard GS and the new sound tools, although they
are probably not going to be of the type you are looking for. As for having
games ported to the GS, I would imagine a good C compiler wouldn't hurt but
then you would need a faster processor. The best thing that can be done right
now( assuming no ROM04) for the GS is for everybody to buy a TWGS or equivalent.This would bring Sierra back to the GS. To bring others back, people would
have to start buying software, something which is a rarity in the computer
game world. Basically, there does not appear to be a demand for games for the
GS( although this is clearly not so, but is reflected by sales). As I am not
one who thinks the computer game market is worth much, the issue is not all
that important for me. Most of the games are junk, and probably not the best
way to spend your time. However if you insist on it, encourage people to
buy( and not you know what...).

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto
philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/15/90)

In article <25929@nuchat.UUCP> paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) writes:
>What do we have to do to get these new games ported to our machines?

You have to convince the publisher that there would probably be enough
sales to justify the investment in conversion.

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (07/16/90)

Well, I was going to send private e-mail, but I thought a reply might benefit
everyone.  New and exciting games?  Have you seen Task Force at all?  That's
one of the best.  Many have likened it to NARC in the arcade and Crime Wave on
the IBM.  I believe Windwalker GS is now out.  It's more of a role playing
game, though.  I have played it an it is very entertaining.. if rpg's are your
bag.

Hmmm... Tunnels of Armageddon was quite some time ago.  Have you seen
Blockout! yet?  It is also by California Dreams.  It is sort of like a 3-D
Tetris.  Think of it as Welltris without the scenery.  That game kept me going
for hours.  :)

Dragonwars GS will, hopefully, be out soon as well as Rastan, Blue Angels, and
Heatwave: Offshore Superboat Racing.  We have a bit to look forward to if the
darned software companies would just get off their cans and get the stuff
done.

BTW: your GS software collection isn't complete without Xenocide.  It has got
to be one of the best, if not THE best game for the GS....

        "Journey of many dollar begin with one dollar." -- Decker Moss
 _______________________                             _______________________
|                        ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest                        |
|                   Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com                    |
|                      UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc                       |
|                 ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil                   |
|               BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil                 |
|_____________ SnailMail: PO Box 502, Lansing, IL 60438-0502 _______________|
   If you're a college age, Australian Apple IIGS owner, please mail me.

rond@pro-grouch.cts.com (Ron Dippold) (07/17/90)

> Dragonwars GS will, hopefully, be out soon as well as Rastan, Blue
> Angels, and Heatwave: Offshore Superboat Racing.

I'd heard that Blue Angels might not be released.  Apparently its too slow.
After Task Force and Tunnels of Armageddon, you've got to wonder about their
programming skills.  They're probably used to programming for IBM AT's, so
they didn't optimize for speed...

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!rond
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!rond@nosc.mil
INET: rond@pro-grouch.cts.com

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/02/90)

 some new games have been released for the GS, as of
today.  The are:

 THE IMMORTAL GS - by Will Harvey/Sandcastle.  The
same person who brought us ZANY GOLF and MUSIC
CONSTRUCTION SET.  Yer a wizard-dude, go through a
isometric 3dish gamescreen, plays like "gauntlet
meets ghosts & goblins".  Hella fun, great graphix,
great music, just plain great.  Check it out!
$49.95 retail; mail-order $32 (programs plus).  I
have both the amiga & gs version running
side-by-side and the GS version is superior.  No
stinkin' probz with 4 voice sound...;)

ANother good un is SPACE ACE GS by readysoft.  (oh
yeah, IMMORTAL is being published by EA).  Its the
same genre as Dragons Lair.  nuff said!  Great
graphics, must-get as a "1st", but the gameplay
sucks.  Its sorta like watching a fta demo for the
very first time....

There are more games shipping, like EMPIRE for the
IIE/c/gs (dos 3.3, 5.25"), the fantastic wargame.
Also Cryllan Mission 2088:The Second Scenario (by
Victory Software).  pure 100% rpg/adventure.

For more info, visit the games forum on america
online (plugplugplug :-)

parik rao

In article <6407@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>There are more games shipping, like EMPIRE for the
>IIE/c/gs (dos 3.3, 5.25"), the fantastic wargame.
>Also Cryllan Mission 2088:The Second Scenario (by
>Victory Software).  pure 100% rpg/adventure.

	Cool.. Thanks a lot for the update.  Please keep us here updated!
(I guess there -ARE- sometimes advantages to pay systems.. I still think
usually Internet/UseNet for free/VERY low cost is a better deal/more fun).

	DOS 3.3???  Were these people in suspended animation for the
last 5 years or what???
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/04/90)

The Immortal GS is a fantastic game; must get.  Its
sort of a arcade-players dungeonmaster.  I've
uploaded some screen shots to america online, i
don't know how to post to any of the comp.sys groups
yet so someone else will haveta.  ;)

SPace ace GS is also shipping, 9 disks.  Yup.  9.
Hows that for copy protection (the actual game
contains no copy protection btw, but cannot be
installed on a HD).  Same goes for Immortal, no hd.
Space Ace, fyi, is a cousin to DRAGONS LAIR, its by
the same company (Bluth/Readysoft).  Just like the
amiga & ibm versions, except you can't save a game
(ohh, ahh).  Its worth getting just to see the
animation.  Retail = $59.95; mail-order should be
$40 or less.

I would highly recommend getting RASTAN (1st); THE
IMMORTAL (2nd); and then perhaps SPACE ACE and PIPE
DREAMS.  PIpe Dreams is by lucasfilm, published by
EA.  A IIgs and IIe/c version comes in the box.  Its
a tetrisish game, puzzle-100%.

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/04/90)

In article <6433@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>PIpe Dreams is by lucasfilm, published by
>EA.  A IIgs and IIe/c version comes in the box.  Its
>a tetrisish game, puzzle-100%.

Space Ace sounds very interesting. I have Pipe Dreams for the Mac( on the
Mac it's ok...). You say that a GS version "comes in the box". Are you
SURE of that. It may simply be a iic+ version on 3.5" disks. Is it a GS
specific version? In particular, does it take advantage of the Ensoniq?

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto-> philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions]

In article <6433@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
>I would highly recommend getting RASTAN (1st); THE
>IMMORTAL (2nd); and then perhaps SPACE ACE and PIPE
>DREAMS.  PIpe Dreams is by lucasfilm, published by
>EA.  A IIgs and IIe/c version comes in the box.  Its
>a tetrisish game, puzzle-100%.

So you mean there's a GS specific Pipe Dreams? I think that's what you mean..

Pipe Dreams is a game where you have to connect different kinds of pipes
so water doesn't flow through out the end of an open pipe right?? I think
I played something like that on a Mac once at a computer store. Seemed
REALLY fast and REALLY hard but intesteresting..

Oh my main point was that people should buy the other great GS games like:
Marble Madness (just added this since the recent discussion about it
made me think of it), Shanghai, possibly Tetris, Arkanoid I and II GS,
and Alien Mind... There are a bunch of other 'possiblies'...

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

stc7@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Steven T Chiang) (10/04/90)

	When you buy PipeDreams, you will receive both a //e version
and a GS specific version....  the GS version is very good, utilizing
SHR, and the ensoniq.  Scott Patterson (Task Force) did both version
for Lucas Films...

	Space Ace is really good also.  The animation is smooth and
the sound is great.  The game itself is hard to play (very timing
dependent).  It has all of the rooms that the amiga version has (34).
It doesn't save games which is lame, and it isn't HD installable.  I
heard Dragon's Lair for the gs will also be released soon.

	The Immortals is excellent.  It's from Electronic Arts (long
time no see), written by Will Harvey (Zany Golf, Music Construction
Set) it's an arcade/ RPG, with the same 3-d perspective as Zany Golf.
The graphics are great, the animation is like Battle Chess, and the
sound is superb. (what do you expect?)

tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com (Terry Guelfo) (10/05/90)

Just a few opinions on the new games Parik has mentioned.

Rastan: Excellent.  Well worth the $22.  It does get a bit challenging.. aw,
heck.. I'll say it.. TOUGH when you get to the end of level 4.

The Immortal: good graphics and sound, but the guy is a bit hard to control
and I keep DYING after only the third screen or so.

Space Ace: YOU CAN'T USE A JOYSTICK!  How lame... (I apologize if you CAN use
a joystick and I just haven't been able to activate it)

Pipe Dreams: gets REALLY boring REALLY quickly.

    Reardon--Magic with an attitude.  Do not walk the metaplanes alone.

Internet: tg.exc@pro-harvest.cts.com        |ProLine: tg.exc@pro-harvest
ARPA: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc@nosc.mil     |UUCP: crash!pro-harvest!tg.exc
BITNET: tg.exc%pro-harvest.cts.com@nosc.mil |Knights of the Plex: Reardon

"Hey Horace, there's more drek goin' on out there than you can dig even when
you're hotwired.  Y'catch?"
             -- From the hit simsense, _Hamlet 2050_, Elan Vital Productions.

duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) (10/09/90)

Rastan is a must.  An Incredible game!  I of course brought
my Mac friends over and blew them away! :-)   They don't have anything
that comes close to it.  I only have one MAJOR complaint, the
games should be Hard disk installable!  I paid hard earned cash for
these games, I should be able to install them on my hard disk if I
want to.  Broken copies of these programs are usually floating around
before I buy them anyway.  So its the honest buyers they punish, with
key disks etc.....  Is it easier to play these games with a Joystick?
(I don't have one)

Joel Duerksen

USnail: 410 N. McKinley, Apt. 305, Muncie, IN. 47303
  AT&T: 1-317-289-0430         ICBM: 85 24 31 W / 40 12 16 N
  UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!duerksen
  ARPA: duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

In article <11886@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) writes:

>Rastan is a must.  An Incredible game!  I of course brought
>my Mac friends over and blew them away! :-)   They don't have anything
>that comes close to it.  I only have one MAJOR complaint, the
>games should be Hard disk installable!  I paid hard earned cash for
>these games, I should be able to install them on my hard disk if I
>want to.

	Actually, Rastan GS is hard drive installable.. It wasn't said in
the documentation, but someone posted how to do it..

	I don't remember how to do it for sure though.. It was something
easy like copying all files from both disks into a directory...

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) (10/12/90)

One addition to the list of new games:

1) Hostages:
In that game you have to rescue some hostages out of an embassy held
by terroroists with your special forces group. Its fairly fast and has
some good graphics and sound. Perhaps you should play-test it on an
Atari or Amiga to see if it is right for you. Published by Mindscape.
Does anyone know if they are plan to release their new UMS II for the
IIgs???

2) Windwalker:
Does anyone know the good old game "Moebius"??? Now it appears again under
the name "Windwalker" on the IIgs. Basically a Kung-Fu game like Karateka
or "The last Ninja". The graphics look like beeing converted from DHGR,
but are actually SHR. In addition, the game is a little bit slow, even on
a tranwarped IIgs. Sound is limited. Test it before buying, its only good
for fans of that genre...

3) Halls of Montezuma:

Now true wargaming is coming on the IIgs. The Strategic Studies GRoup re-
leased their first wargame for the IIgs. Build after their famous "Battle-
front" it is a must for every serious wargamer. Superb display of maps,
units and objects, A pixel-oriented "WarPaint" iconeditor, a execellent
scenario designer and all good optiones (and more) from the Original
"Battlefront" - and all that together with a user-friendly "point-and-
klick" mouse-Interface (run in 320er mode on the IIgs). Without a Trans-
warp GS a little bit slow. A harddisk is highly recommended. On a 1Meg
machine with one disk drive you have to be a true disk-jockey.

The first two games have a keyword-protection, Halls of Montezuma is
not copy-protected at all. That one is only available from Golem computers
(I've only seen it there), the others should be available everywhere.

Martin Georg,
Frankfurt, Germany
----> Apple II forever! <----

In article <1990Oct12.082105.2804@wrkof.incom.de> spock@wrkof.incom.de (Martin Georg) writes:
>2) Windwalker:
>Does anyone know the good old game "Moebius"??? Now it appears again under
>the name "Windwalker" on the IIgs. Basically a Kung-Fu game like Karateka
>or "The last Ninja". The graphics look like beeing converted from DHGR,
>but are actually SHR. In addition, the game is a little bit slow, even on
>a tranwarped IIgs. Sound is limited. Test it before buying, its only good
>for fans of that genre...

	This game really is a stinker in my opinion. Can you say S-L-O-W??
It's right down there on par with the bottom of the barrel like Gauntlet
GS! I imagine that even with an accellerator it woud be really slow (like
you said)..

	The way you fought was kind of neat but even that was slow...

	I REALLY think people should look at this before they buy it... I
hope this does not foreshadow the kind of stuff (if any) from Origin we're
going to be getting from now on? Like if Ultima V and VI GS are this bad?
(KEEP WRITING TO ORIGIN FOR Ultima V and VI GS, and Ultima VI //e if you
don't have a GS.. Even if you don't have a GS please please ask for a GS
version ALSO).

.3) Halls of Montezuma:
.Now true wargaming is coming on the IIgs. The Strategic Studies GRoup re-
.leased their first wargame for the IIgs. Build after their famous "Battle-
.front" it is a must for every serious wargamer. Superb display of maps,
.units and objects, A pixel-oriented "WarPaint" iconeditor, a execellent
.scenario designer and all good optiones (and more) from the Original
."Battlefront" - and all that together with a user-friendly "point-and-
.klick" mouse-Interface (run in 320er mode on the IIgs). Without a Trans-
.warp GS a little bit slow. A harddisk is highly recommended. On a 1Meg
.machine with one disk drive you have to be a true disk-jockey.

	This looked like it might be fun for a person who really likes
wargames, but I would like to repeat some of what the person I'm replying
to said and say some more.

	It was pretty slow..

	But also, it seemed like an amateurish effort! There were really
weird things happening with the fonts.. Like in the "About" box (or maybe
some regular window they brought up), they used a pretty big font that was just
an enlarging of some smaller font I think. It was really jaggy and I think
even went outside of the window it was shown in or was formatted really
weirdly or something.. I guess that could be called a minor flaw, but it
really looked bad in my opinion.  Things didn't look right in other parts of
the program too.

--

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Tzan Tzu -- Zen master of Origami Fighting Fish) (10/15/90)

In article <11886@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> duerksen@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Joel L. Duerksen) writes:
]                         I only have one MAJOR complaint, the
]games should be Hard disk installable!  I paid hard earned cash for
]these games, I should be able to install them on my hard disk if I
]want to.  Broken copies of these programs are usually floating around
]before I buy them anyway.  So its the honest buyers they punish, with
]key disks etc.....  Is it easier to play these games with a Joystick?
](I don't have one)

The game >IS< Hard Drive installable.  Copy disk one to a folder on the HD,
then copy the contents of RastanB/Rastan to the Rastan folder on the HD, then
copy the rest of the files from RASTANB.  The game will poll the drive for
disk B at the start of each level, but it reads the entire game from the
Hard Drive.

| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |
|       If you don't get kissed good-night you get Kafka Dreams               |