[comp.sys.apple2] AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgghhh!

rka20423@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Rubio) (10/15/90)

My hard drive starts giving me I/O errors (hehehe... yeah, SURE they're I/O
errors, this is a HARD DRIVE, you stupid machine!)

So I switch the IIgs off, pull the controller card, re-seat it, and power
back on.

I'm treated to a display of a white rectangle filling the foreground, and a
black background, on the screen.

Nothing else.

The drives don't move, the Apple IIgs copyright message doesn't come up, the
typical startup *beep* is silent.

IS MY MOTHERBOARD DEAD???    PLEASE SAY NO!!!!

(any ideas??)
--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/15/90)

On Sun, 14 Oct 90 21:39:15 GMT Rubio said:
>My hard drive starts giving me I/O errors (hehehe... yeah, SURE they're I/O
>errors, this is a HARD DRIVE, you stupid machine!)

ummmm, a hard drive can get bad sectors just like a floppy and cause I/O
erros.

>So I switch the IIgs off, pull the controller card, re-seat it, and power
>back on.
>
>I'm treated to a display of a white rectangle filling the foreground, and a
>black background, on the screen.
>
>Nothing else.
>
>The drives don't move, the Apple IIgs copyright message doesn't come up, the
>typical startup *beep* is silent.

Have you tried turning the computer on without the controller card plugged in?
... just to test if it's your mother board.  If the computer doesn't have
any problems after you take the card out, then put it back in and check to
see if any part of that card is touching any other cards you may have plugged
in next to it.  This sounds similar to a problem I had.  I plugged my AST
Video digitizer in next to my AST RAM board and a piece of metal on the video
board was touching a metal prong on the RAM board.  I ripped off a small
piece of paper, folded it several times, and put it between the two boards and
I haaven't had the problem since.

>IS MY MOTHERBOARD DEAD???    PLEASE SAY NO!!!!

Unplug EVERYTHING you have hooked up to the computer (except for the monitor)
and turn it on.  If it beeps and gives the copyright screen, it's not your
mother board.  Try putting your cards in one by one (with the power off, of
course), only having ONE card in at a time and turn the computer on.  Sooner
or later, one of them should cause the problem.... UNLESS you have several
cards and no fan.  It may just be getting hot.

>--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

rka20423@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Rubio) (10/15/90)

hehe.... no, I'm not that dumb.

Yes, I've pulled every board in the computer (it had a SuperSonic card and a
GS RAM card in it in addition to the HD controller).

I disconnected the floppy drives, too...

Still no soap.

My modem has a 'terminal ready' indicator, that I've configured to insure that
the modem is only "terminal ready" when the IIgs is powered up and the serial
port enabled.  This light DOES go on when I flick the switch on the IIgs, so
way down deep inside there, some faint flicker of life still exists....

I fear there's no hope for this motherboard, considering the symptoms.  I am
assuming it isn't the power supply, because I do get _something_ on the screen
and the modem terminal ready goes high.  Is there any other hope, or am I
correct in guessing that the only thing left is the motherboard itself??

SAY IT ISN'T SO!

:rubs his empty wallet, wondering how he'll pay for a new one.
Rubio rubs his empty wallet, wondering how he'll pay for a new one.

--rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (10/15/90)

rka20423@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Rubio) writes:
> My hard drive starts giving me I/O errors (hehehe... yeah, SURE they're I/O
> errors, this is a HARD DRIVE, you stupid machine!)

  The machine's not stupid.  What's wrong with a hard drive having I/O
errors?  Nothing.  It happens to the best of 'em.

> So I switch the IIgs off, pull the controller card, re-seat it, and power
> back on.
>
> I'm treated to a display of a white rectangle filling the foreground, and a
> black background, on the screen.
>
> Nothing else.
>
> The drives don't move, the Apple IIgs copyright message doesn't come up, the
> typical startup *beep* is silent.
>

> IS MY MOTHERBOARD DEAD???    PLEASE SAY NO!!!!
>
> (any ideas??)

  Nope, but don't rule out the possibility of an I/O error.  It's
possible...

> --rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

		-Greg T.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/15/90)

>Is there any other hope, or am I correct in guessing that the only thing left
>is the motherboard itself??
>
>SAY IT ISN'T SO!

Well, as far as -I- can tell, it's probably the motherboard, but I'd get a
second opinion :)

Good Luck!