[comp.sys.apple2] misc graphics questions

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (10/15/90)

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>I am pretty convinced that the problem has to do with the fine resolution of
>640 mode and the dithered color 'beating' (in the same sense as an amplitude
>modulated sine wave beats) with the dot pitch on the color monitor. Monitors
>with a better dot pitch should reduce this phenomenon.

Just a confirmation -- I have the same problem and believe the
explanation above is correct.

>My solution is to use a desktop picture and don't bother with the pattern
>at all.

Besides, that shade of blue strikes me as being the ugliest and most
inappropriate color known to man. A much darker shade would be better.
Same thing with the default settings of the text color. Why not
white text, DARK blue background and dark grey border? It stuns the
imagination.

My current desk is a nagel-pic, but if anyone, repeat ANYONE,
has a simpsons pic, please, please, oh PLEASE shrink, binscii
and mail it. Anon-ftp would also be nice.

Two questions:

1. Is there a better GIF converter than SHRconvert 2.1? GIF conversion
just doesn't seem to work very well. If a GIF is bigger than the screen
size requested, it should ask you to select an aspect ratio reduction
rather than simply truncating. It also seems a bit arbitrary in choosing
whether to truncate top-to-bottom or left-to-right. Also, the 64k
limitation in stored image data seems arbitrary. Why not allow more
memory for storing a conversion, then when saving the file, allow the
user to move a "save box" on the image choosing the save area?
Also, the gif converter crashes on occasion. To quote the "user-friendly
rhyme":

		"Even if I feed it trash
		The code should never, ever crash."

2. Is there a better picture viewing NDA than Showpic? Admitedly, I
have a very old version of showpic. Mine won't look at anything besides
uncompressed pic files. I save my images as SHRs.

I tried 3 or 4 of the archive sites and found nothing.
--
Nick Sayer               |  "Disclaimer? I don't think so!
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  |   Homey don't play dat."