[comp.sys.apple2] Monitor Moire Patterns

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/15/90)

I am pretty convinced that the problem has to do with the fine resolution of
640 mode and the dithered color 'beating' (in the same sense as an amplitude
modulated sine wave beats) with the dot pitch on the color monitor. Monitors
with a better dot pitch should reduce this phenomenon.

My solution is to use a desktop picture and don't bother with the pattern
at all.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.004324.20441@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>I am pretty convinced that the problem has to do with the fine resolution of
>640 mode and the dithered color 'beating' (in the same sense as an amplitude
>modulated sine wave beats) with the dot pitch on the color monitor. Monitors
>with a better dot pitch should reduce this phenomenon.
>
>My solution is to use a desktop picture and don't bother with the pattern
>at all.

Eek. Hardly a solution.  The thing that bugs me about this is that with
identical monitors hooked up to two identical GSs, one exhibits this behavior
and one doesn't.
Besides, I like my desktop a dithered purple. :-)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
Apple II Users Unite! Storm the New Product Announcement and Demand Justice!

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/15/90)

On Mon, 15 Oct 90 00:43:24 GMT Todd P. Whitesel said:
>My solution is to use a desktop picture and don't bother with the pattern
>at all.

Does anyone know how this is done? (putting a picture on the desktop?)

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:

>Does anyone know how this is done? (putting a picture on the desktop?)

It's documented in the toolbox reference 3 -- you put a message in the
messagecenter of type 2, an id word or two, and the picture data itself.
I can look it up if you want.

I wrote a Basic/ML hack a while back that put up a deskpicture, and posted
it. Some kind soul on the net turned it into an INIT (TIF, actually) and
I use that now. I can post that too -- I don't think it's on the tybalt
FTP directory but that's easy to fix.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.020907.17900@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
   In article <1990Oct15.004324.20441@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

>>I am pretty convinced that the problem has to do with the fine resolution of
>>640 mode and the dithered color 'beating' (in the same sense as an amplitude
>>modulated sine wave beats) with the dot pitch on the color monitor. Monitors
>>with a better dot pitch should reduce this phenomenon.
>>
>>My solution is to use a desktop picture and don't bother with the pattern
>>at all.
> Eek. Hardly a solution.  The thing that bugs me about this is that with
>identical monitors hooked up to two identical GSs, one exhibits this behavior
>and one doesn't.
>Besides, I like my desktop a dithered purple. :-)

If it makes you feel any better, I've got a ~$2000 16 inch sony
monitor and it exhibits the same behavior..

My feeling is that even the slightest variance in dot pitch across a
scan line will cause the "moire" behavior...

a few suggestions...

a) use a desktop picture
b) use a much coarser pattern (don't know if this will help)
c) use a solid color... the reason that the desktop is usually a
   pattern is that the original Mac had no grey scale, so it used a
   pattern to dither a grey...  With a color monitor I think you
   should probably use a solid color instead..

-Paul Nakada

--

Paul Nakada  |  Oracle Corporation  |  pnakada@oracle.com

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/16/90)

On Mon, 15 Oct 90 03:41:17 GMT Todd P. Whitesel said:
>MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET writes:
>
>>Does anyone know how this is done? (putting a picture on the desktop?)
>
>I wrote a Basic/ML hack a while back that put up a deskpicture, and posted
>it. Some kind soul on the net turned it into an INIT (TIF, actually) and
>I use that now. I can post that too -- I don't think it's on the tybalt
>FTP directory but that's easy to fix.

Yeah, go ahead and post that INIT... I don't have access to FTP :(

>Todd Whitesel
>toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu