[comp.sys.apple2] ADB Joysticks

In article <12629266112014@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> ZATEZALO-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Shane Z) writes:
>Question: is it possible to make a joystick that would use the GS's ADB port?
>It could end up in multiple joysticks being used for games like One on One and
>Task Force GS.

	I think Hayes ...err CH products... makes exactly what you're talking
about..

	I forget the name but it's a joystick that acts like a mouse... (or
a mouse that looks/acts like a joystick? Heh)

	But unless you have a Y cable from your ADB port this would be
difficult... The mouse/joystick thing doesn't have its own ADB port I don't\
think but even if it did it'd be annoying to be connected to the next guy
AND the ADB port...

	And of course we'd need all new software.. And we SURELY don't want to
expect people ot write software for NON standard hardware... the current
GS gets too little software the way it is!

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (10/14/90)

The product you were thinking about was the MouseStick by Gravis
(a Canadian company, I think). I've seen this and it's a neat product.
It was originally intended for Macs, but it is ADB so it should operate
on a GS.

Unfortunately, it's intended to be a "high-precision" joystick and
is pretty expensive (as joysticks go). It has it's own microprocessor
and an lcd display to show what mode it's in (relative, absolute, etc.).

You're touching on a long time problem for Apple II's. The II only has one
joystick port. Yes I know, the game I/O port has inputs for 4 pots, but
it only has three button inputs. Even game cards for the IBM PC have
two game inputs. I can remember playing One-on-One: I was on joystick,
the other sucker was on keyboard --- no contest :-)

I also own an Apple ///. The joystick problem was "sort of" fixed on the
/// (the /// has two joystick ports: Port A has paddle inputs 0 and 2, and
buttons 0 and 2. Port B has paddle inputs 1 and 3, buttons 1 and 3. So the
output is mixed...to get and Apple II joysticks you have to homebrew a
connector to the joystick which attaches to both 9 output D-connectors. YUK!)
Many innovations from the /// were carried over to the //e (like SOS->ProDOS)
but the joystick interfaces didn't. The Apple II Game I/O port also has
3 (unused?) annunciators...if one or more of these were changed to button
inputs, the next apple II (if any) could have two 2 button joysticks,
or two 3 button joysticks (if all three annunciators were changed).

-----------------------------
Mark Orr                    !       "Dont blame me...
($CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !           I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown
-----------------------------

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/14/90)

The //gs does in fact have four button inputs. The fourth button is readable
at the same place as the cassette input used to be (hi bit of $c060) but is
only available to hardware at the previously unconnected pin 9 of the internal
Game I/O socket. The DB9 on the back doesn't have room for this input.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/14/90)

In article <9010132252.AA02397@apple.com> $CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:
>but the joystick interfaces didn't. The Apple II Game I/O port also has
>3 (unused?) annunciators...if one or more of these were changed to button

Actually, there are four annunciators (numbered 0-3).  Also, at least one of
them is used--annunciator 3 activates double Hi-Res, remember.

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/16/90)

The internal game port on the ][, ][+, //e, and IIGs (that's the 16-pin
DIP one) has 4 annunciator outputs, which ARE used; just not by
joysticks.  They could not be easily converted to inputs without
breaking existing hardware that uses them.  Also, the //c and //c+, and
the external (DB9) game ports on the //e and IIgs don't have the
annunciators at all.  They also don't have the second 2 paddles and,
depending on which machine, may or may not have the 3rd switch input.
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu,
                jh4o@cmuccvma