[comp.sys.apple2] Apple Product Announcement

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/12/90)

Dear Comp.Sys.Apple2 folk,

   I am privileged to be able to attend the Chicago area
version of the Apple Product Announcement.  John Sculley will
be there live via satellite for all of us to hear.  I will
of course bring back a full report of the events.

   Word has it there will be a "surprise" for Apple II
enthusiasts.  Hopefully this will be better than the ROM 03
announcement.  Also, I have no gauge as to how reliable this
information is, so take it for what it's worth.

   Is there anything you folks would like me to say should
it turn out that nothing worthwhile appears for the II?
I'm sure a shouting match won't develop, but then, I'm a
man of great patience but short temper. :-)

   On another note, someone mentioned that Apple stock had
dropped from $50 to $25 since the introduction of the //fx.
It's pretty obvious to the entire business world that Apple
is following brain-dead marketing strategies.  Everyone but
Apple sees this. Oh well..(at least Commodore occasionally
tries to fix its marketing!)

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
                            |                             (B O'Cult)
Apple II Users Unite! Storm the New Product Announcement and Demand Justice!

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct12.025052.6730@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>   I am privileged to be able to attend the Chicago area
>version of the Apple Product Announcement.  John Sculley will
>be there live via satellite for all of us to hear.  I will
>of course bring back a full report of the events.
>
>   Word has it there will be a "surprise" for Apple II
>enthusiasts.  Hopefully this will be better than the ROM 03
>announcement.  Also, I have no gauge as to how reliable this
>information is, so take it for what it's worth.

It may simply be the official announcement of the thoroughly-leaked
][e board for the cheap Mac.  If so, foo.  A real announcement
for the ][ as opposed to a Mac co-processor board WOULD be
a surprise....

>   Is there anything you folks would like me to say should
>it turn out that nothing worthwhile appears for the II?
>I'm sure a shouting match won't develop, but then, I'm a
>man of great patience but short temper. :-)

You might ask if they're changing their name to Macintosh, Inc...
:-<

Ask why, especially given the current economy, they are expecting
the country's school boards to suddenly lay out lotsa dollars to
replace their existing A2 base with more expensive Macs
that don't offer the base of educational software that they
have come to expect.  Ask also why they should then pay further
to get compatibility with the LOW end of the 8-bit line?

>   On another note, someone mentioned that Apple stock had
>dropped from $50 to $25 since the introduction of the //fx.
>It's pretty obvious to the entire business world that Apple
>is following brain-dead marketing strategies.  Everyone but
>Apple sees this. Oh well..(at least Commodore occasionally
>tries to fix its marketing!)

The market sees Apple abandoning the schoolrooms full of
Apple ]['s and faltering in their efforts to penetrate the
boardroom with Macs.  And Apple's attempts at credibility in
the 'workstation' market appear to be (dare I say it) fruitless.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "How do you know when a politician is lying?  His lips move."
	- M-m-max Headroom
       "Read my lips - no new taxes..."  - G. Bush, 1988

kgreen@pro-angmar.UUCP (Kevin Green) (10/15/90)

Jawaid Bazyar
 It was me that mentioned the stock price drop. I'll be going to the Boston
edition of the new product roll-out. I'm taking a day off of work, so it
better be worth the effort.

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (Mike Ungerman) (10/16/90)

I was at the Orlando area Product Announcement.

The usual Apple, Inc professional marketing job....

99.8% Mac.... 3 new models:  Mac Clasic for under $1k
                             Mac LC 256 colors for around $1.5k
                             MAC SI super-duper machine $skyhi

Apple, Inc is in the mode of giving away machines to groups of people and then
getting their POSITIVE reactions to the machine and using it for marketing.
Not a bad ploy and the Mac is easier to learn than the Apple ][/IBM etal.
Group in East Germany doing newspaper, Truck firm in Pacific NorthWest bad
mouthing messydos machines and city in midwest running year long project with
small businesses.  Nice touch, very Apple Pie and Motherhoodish.

Mac LC has Apple ][e emulator card and will run ALL Apple ][e software.
Played with it during the hands on session.  Took all commands I could think
of and another ][e "expert" did a lot of graphic programming on the spot
running low-res/hi-res graphics.  It did an excellent job.  Appeared to run
about 2x Apple ][e speed. The emulator card will only fit the LC model's
interface connection.

With Apple marketing the Mac LC as a ][e emulator, the handwriting is on the
wall for the phaseout of the ][e production line, although no one would admit
to it at the show.  I mean, why keep a model-T going when you can emulate it
in a machine with full Mac capability with just a card add-on.  AND it has the
new 3.5 super-drive and optional 40mb built in 3.5 hard drive!  Very nice
package, even if it is an Apple ][ killer.

Token appearance of the "Woz" as golf cart taxi driver.  Wonder if this really
shows the role relagated to the Apple ][ community at Apple....

I asked the area manager if Apple planned any similar Product Announcements in
the future for the Apple ][.  I did not get a positive response, even though
Apple can't say anything about work in progress.  So, folks, don't hold your
breath.  With all this glitz centered about the Mac, it is obvious that Apple,
Inc is putting all their eggs in that basket.
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

cromwell@acsu.buffalo.edu (mark j cromwell) (10/17/90)

    The Mac LC is $3000 with monitor. That's why they aren't phazing out the
IIe.

			- Mark Cromwell