[comp.sys.apple2] MIDI control

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) (10/17/90)

	Hi.  I'm planning on writing a ear training program that will drill
and test on intervals, triads, chords, rhythm, etc.  I was planning to use
the GS's internal ensoniq chip, using the commercial programing utility
Sonix (So what! software), but due to the nature of this program and of the
ensoniq chip this was not feasible ( I cannot produce pitches of controlled
length due to the wavetable nature of the chip.  Only however long the sample
was.).  So now I intend on using MIDI to transmit the note values to a keyboard.
     My question is, is it possible to send midi on/off data using BASIC?
Sorry, but it's what I'm most familiar with currently.  If anyone has any
info, pleas let me know.

			Thanks...

				Ken Morton

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/17/90)

v097pba8@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Ken F Morton) writes:

>	Hi.  I'm planning on writing a ear training program that will drill
>and test on intervals, triads, chords, rhythm, etc.  I was planning to use
>the GS's internal ensoniq chip, using the commercial programing utility
>Sonix (So what! software), but due to the nature of this program and of the
>ensoniq chip this was not feasible ( I cannot produce pitches of controlled
>length due to the wavetable nature of the chip.  Only however long the sample
>was.).

Umm... you can turn the note off manually. You can in fact control the length
of the tone if you look at the tone as a single straight-thru sound sample
rather than as a waveform. It is possible to get the ensoniq to play all 64K
and stop when it hits 8 consecutive zeros in the data.

Mail me if you need programming details.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu