[comp.sys.apple2] Why the emulator could be helpful to The Cause

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/19/90)

In article <7952@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.000603.18849@utstat.uucp> philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:
[snip]
>>for the educational community and even 6502 based Apple's. It will mean
>>more software for the II,etc...I don't understand why some people regard
>>this as a bad thing.

>	What do you mean it will mean more software for the II?

Because a "cutting edge of technology" machine will run Apple II software.

Some MAJOR advantages of having the //e emulator card are:
- It costs so damn much to get the underlying hardware, the owners will have
  some $$$ to throw around.  Anybody gullible enough to buy the LC as a
  glorified Apple II will be more than willing to pay for expensive software,
  which means development might start up again.
- It doesn't compete with the //e or //gs.  It costs 3-4 times as much;
  it's really a "mid-range" machine, not low-end like the //e or Mac Classic
  (Since we have Coke Classic and New Coke, is the LC the "New Mac"?  On
  second thought, never mind).
- All the hotsy totsy Mac owners will get to see what a real computer can
  do.  Teach the jerks some respect.
- It will keep the II alive in some respect, so Apple DTS will stay alive.

Personally, I think the Mac LC is a bad practical joke that went too far.
But if it sells, what the hell...

>	If you have the //e card in a Mac, it's ludicrous to write
>// specific software ("for" the Mac w/IIe card since //es may not exist much
>longer)... It's crazy because as long as you're already on the Mac you can
>use the WIMP interface, etc..

Gee, you're right.  All Macintosh software is inherently better than
stuff written for the Apple II.

Not.

Writing clean, low-performance programs for the II is remarkably easy
(Applesoft).  Writing for the Mac is not quite so friendly, since you
*must* deal with all the tools or face having your program rejected for
appearing to be unprofessional.  Keep in mind that Pirates GS was written
in Applesoft with assembly graphics primitives.  If you don't believe me,
buy a copy and look at the disk.  (BTW, anybody know about the //e version?)

[snip]
>	The Mega II in the GS IS LITERALLY a //e on a chip, right???
>So what more is needed?

A cheaper price for a //e than a //gs?

>	With the //c+ currently being 4 x (right?) faster than a IIe, the
>IIe is pointless.. they run the same software but the //c+ is faster,
>has a built in 800K drive, etc.. and I believe they're comparably priced.

...and totally unexpandable.  Try putting a PC Transporter or DMA SCSI
into a //c+.  Take a look at the Laser... it's got all the features you
want at the price you want.  The machines that Apple sells are "redundant"
when stacked up to Laser's.

[thwack]
>	A GS laptop would be even better but I honestly believe an 8 bit
>Apple // laptop could/would sell like hotcakes!

...when you can buy a Toshiba lap top for about the price of a //c+, and
run the software that 60-70% of the world uses?  The Mac has about 10% of
the personal computer market, the Apple II less.  Guess what makes up the
bulk of it?

Besides, Apple's policy of "read my lips: no 8 bits" has destroyed any
potential for sales.  They'd be the laughing stock of the industry if they
tried that (most of the trade magazines describe the new Macs as being
underpowered...).

>/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \

"If you can't beat 'em, shoot 'em."
		-- Indiana Jones (not really...)

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/19/90)

In article <28945@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:

>Besides, Apple's policy of "read my lips: no 8 bits" has destroyed any
>potential for sales.

Well, that sort of policy has been rethought by others :-). (sorry, couldn't
resist).

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu