[comp.sys.apple2] new IIe

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (10/18/90)

I wonder if there would be a way to make an adapter board for ther iie card
and make it run. i.e. a third party makes a board with a slot which takes
the iie card and runs.  The board wouldn't be a mac, but rather just a
powersupply and some addons to make the iie card a cheap porable.

sounds like an idea to me! If someone could build a board around the IIe
card and encase it in some plastic, he could make some real money.

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/19/90)

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:

>I wonder if there would be a way to make an adapter board for ther iie card
>and make it run. i.e. a third party makes a board with a slot which takes
>the iie card and runs.  The board wouldn't be a mac, but rather just a
>powersupply and some addons to make the iie card a cheap porable.

Don't get too excited. It won't work. The reason the //e card is so cheap is
because it implements over half of the I/O hardware as a software interface
to the LC. The video is the worst part, it is designed to DMA into the LC's
video buffer AT SPEED, with full NTSC -> RGB translation, to insure PERFECT
(hah!) compatibility with //e programs -- but at the expense of being able
to do anything useful with the LC besides use the //e card.

The basic point here is, Apple Management has finally done something that no
amount of marketing is going to salvage. I can't wait to see what happens, and
I hope we can keep the II market alive until they come to their senses.

TO EVERYONE: QUIT BITCHING AND START SUPPORTING!!
GIVE MATT A REASON TO COME BACK!

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu