[comp.sys.apple2] DMA, SCSI and $C1 filetypes questions

cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish) (10/19/90)

I am planning on buying a new hard drive and either the RAMFast or apple's
new SCSI card.  What I was wondering is do I have to have a DMA memory card
in order to use either of the new SCSI cards?  I realize that it won;t be as
fast without DMA, but will they still function properly with the plain ole
apple expansion card?

My second question is wheter or not most of the available DMA cards that use
SIMMS, use the same SIMMS found in most macintosh models?  I have access to
about eight 256K SIMMS, and it would be nice to get a card that use them(
They came from a Mac SE and a Mac II).

Lastly I was wondering if anyone could tell me the format of $C1 type pictures.
Like for insstance where is the palette infomation, and where is this information supposed to be placed if you where to bypass the toolbox and put the picture
driectly into screen memory. And speaking of screen memory, is the shadowing
of banks 00 and 01 always on, or is it neccesary to activate it somehow?

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.171229.15406@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish) writes:
>I am planning on buying a new hard drive and either the RAMFast or apple's
>new SCSI card.  What I was wondering is do I have to have a DMA memory card
>in order to use either of the new SCSI cards?  I realize that it won;t be as
>fast without DMA, but will they still function properly with the plain ole
>apple expansion card?

The Apple Expansion Card *IS* DMA compatible.  As a general rule, a memory card
is DMA compatible if it has not more than four banks of RAM, whether 4 rows
of 8 chips or 4 SIMMs or whatever.  Applied Engineering has used a few tricks
to get their 6-row cards to be DMA compatible (GS-RAM, GS-RAM plus)

>My second question is wheter or not most of the available DMA cards that use
>SIMMS, use the same SIMMS found in most macintosh models?  I have access to
>about eight 256K SIMMS, and it would be nice to get a card that use them(
>They came from a Mac SE and a Mac II).

I believe the GS Sauce can handle 256K SIMMs, but you'd probably be better
off buying brand-new 1Meg SIMMs. They're only $40 these days, and getting
cheaper all the time.  You'd have to trash your 256K SIMMs if you wanted to
expand past 1Meg anyway, so you might as well get the 1Meg now.

>Lastly I was wondering if anyone could tell me the format of $C1 type pictures.
>Like for insstance where is the palette infomation, and where is this information supposed to be placed if you where to bypass the toolbox and put the picture
>driectly into screen memory. And speaking of screen memory, is the shadowing
>of banks 00 and 01 always on, or is it neccesary to activate it somehow?

The internal format of the $C1 type pictures is contained in an Apple
File Type Note, named "ftn.c1.xxxx". "xxxx" is the auxtype designation for
the particular format (DeluxePaint uses its own format).  It's available
via anonymous FTP from apple.com.  It's in the /pub/dts/aii/ftn directory.

I assume you mean having QuickDraw draw directly to the FAST (2.8MHz)
side of memory, and having the hardware shadow your writes to slow memory,
thus making graphics manipulation faster.  Start up QuickDraw with the normal
resolution descriptor, plus $8000 (I don't remember off the top of my head what
the standard values are).
--
Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.171229.15406@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish) writes:
>I am planning on buying a new hard drive and either the RAMFast or apple's
>new SCSI card.  What I was wondering is do I have to have a DMA memory card
>in order to use either of the new SCSI cards?  I realize that it won;t be as
>fast without DMA, but will they still function properly with the plain ole
>apple expansion card?

I don't know about RAMfast, but Apple's High-Speed SCSI Card can be made to
avoid using DMA by flipping a switch on the card.

I thought Apple's 1MB IIGS RAM expansion card was DMA compatible?

>My second question is wheter or not most of the available DMA cards that use
>SIMMS, use the same SIMMS found in most macintosh models?  I have access to
>about eight 256K SIMMS, and it would be nice to get a card that use them(
>They came from a Mac SE and a Mac II).

You mean RAM cards, not DMA cards.  Yes, they use Mac-compatible SIMMs if
they use SIMMs at all.

>Lastly I was wondering if anyone could tell me the format of $C1 type pictures.

Apple's File Type Notes and the IIGS Hardware Reference Manual cover this,
as well as your other questions [omitted here].  Trying to obtain all the
information you need for programming the IIGS by asking such questions of
the newsgroup is extremely inefficient; you should use the documentation.

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/19/90)

On Thu, 18 Oct 90 19:33:21 GMT <info-apple-request@APPLE.COM> said:
>In article <1990Oct18.171229.15406@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>
> cmparris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Chris Michae Parrish) writes:
>
>>Lastly I was wondering if anyone could tell me the format of $C1 type
>pictures.
>>Like for insstance where is the palette infomation, and where is this
> information supposed to be placed if you where to bypass the toolbox and put
> the picture
>>driectly into screen memory. And speaking of screen memory, is the shadowing
>>of banks 00 and 01 always on, or is it neccesary to activate it somehow?
>
>The internal format of the $C1 type pictures is contained in an Apple
>File Type Note, named "ftn.c1.xxxx". "xxxx" is the auxtype designation for
>the particular format (DeluxePaint uses its own format).  It's available
>via anonymous FTP from apple.com.  It's in the /pub/dts/aii/ftn directory.

Type $C1 pictures are nothing more than a memory dump.  Just load it directly
to $E1/2000 and everything falls into place... including the pallete(s).
DeluxePaint Saves pictures as $C0 (compressed) and can be used by anything
else that loads that type of picture.  You could make your own $C1 pictures
'manually' if you wanted, like this:  (assuming a picture is already in memory.

CREATE PICTURE,T$C1
CALL-151
0/1000<E1/2000.9EFFM
BSAVE PICTURE,A$1000,E$8EFF,T$C1

>I assume you mean having QuickDraw draw directly to the FAST (2.8MHz)
>side of memory, and having the hardware shadow your writes to slow memory,
>thus making graphics manipulation faster.  Start up QuickDraw with the normal
>resolution descriptor, plus $8000 (I don't remember off the top of my head what
>the standard values are).

When you load something into RAM that is being shadowed to banks $E0 or $E1,
the CPU has to slow down to the speed of the slowest bank being accessed
(1Mhz for $E0 and $E1).  The only way, that I know of, to make write to bank
$E1 any faster is to declare the stack in bank $00 (of course) at $2000 and
PUSH everything to the stack and having shadowing from bank $00 to bank $01
to bank $E1.  I don't know how to decalre the stack at $00/2000 (I think you
also have to declare it's size) but, from what I've been told, this works.
Also, I don't think this would be any faster for loading a picture from disk,
because you'll still have to wait for the picture to be loaded, then you'll
PUSH the whole thing to the stack, but if you already had one in memory and
wanted to display it, this would be faster... it also works for animation
(I've been told).

>--
>Jawaid Bazyar               | Blondes in big black cars look better wearing
>Senior/Computer Engineering | their dark sunglasses at night. (unk. wierdo)
>jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu    |      The gin, the gin, glows in the Dark!
>   Apple II Forever!        |                             (B O'Cult)
>Comp.Sys.Apple2- Home of the Unofficial Apple II Developer Support Team (DST)

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/19/90)

1.)  Yes, they will work without DMA by throwing a DIP switch.  See the
review in the October, 1990 issue of Nibble Magazine (the ONLY general
Apple //-specific magazine as of 1/91).

2.)  I believe they are; you might want a second opinion.

3.)  The format of $C1 files is documented in the Apple file type note,
availabe for ftp on apple.com and for download on America Online in the
ADV libraries.  As for screen shadowing, text and old video mode
shadowing is always on in 8-bit mode; I'm not sure about SHR shadowing.
I don't believe that any I/O shadowing is guaranteed to be on under
GS/OS, as special memory (bank 00 especially :) and also bank 1) is a
precious commodity in that environment.
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu,