[comp.sys.apple2] MACE vs ACE

fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) (10/19/90)

From the Mac LC specs:

SOUND INPUT
- Monaural 8-bit sound
- Sound samples can be made at 22 or 11 kilohertz
- Macintosh Audio Compression Expansion (MACE) sound utility, supporting
  3:1 or 6:1 compression, which allows approximately half an hour of
  sound to stored on a single 40-megabyte hard disk.

What's the best the the ACE tools can do?

What kind of sound quality are you left with after a 6:1 compression?

Better yet, how often do people want to fill a 40MB hard drive with 30 minutes
of digitized noise?!?

Just curious.

--
fadden@cory.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)
..!ucbvax!cory!fadden

In article <28946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> fadden@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Andy McFadden) writes:
>From the Mac LC specs:
>
>SOUND INPUT
>- Monaural 8-bit sound
>- Sound samples can be made at 22 or 11 kilohertz
>- Macintosh Audio Compression Expansion (MACE) sound utility, supporting
>  3:1 or 6:1 compression, which allows approximately half an hour of
>  sound to stored on a single 40-megabyte hard disk.
>
>What's the best the the ACE tools can do?
2:1 and 8:3 (I have no idea why Apple didn't put these in MACE-- though
the constants for using them are defined)

>What kind of sound quality are you left with after a 6:1 compression?

Lousy-- OK for voice input, though.