[comp.sys.apple2] New Product Introduction

curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) (10/17/90)

In todays issue of the Oregonian (Tuesday, October 16), they had an
article in the business section talking about Apple's new products.
When mentioning the Mac LC with it's IIe card, the article said
that this will 'replace the Apple II line, which will be discontinued.'

Comments?

Matt Curfman                                                  Technovelty. Inc.
curfmanm@prism.cs.orst.edu                              Oregon State University

     OSU says what it says. I say what I say. We don't say the same thing.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/18/90)

In article <21072@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> curfmanm@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Matthew Curfman) writes:
>In todays issue of the Oregonian ...
> ... this will 'replace the Apple II line, which will be discontinued.'
>Comments?

Yeah -- why are you wasting our time with this?  The media seldom get
anything right.  Various Macintosh user magazines have said the same
thing for years now.  Undoubtedly, ANY computer will some day be
discontinued.  This doesn't qualify as new information, unless it was
directly quoting an Apple spokesman.

appleman@pro-truckstop.cts.com (The Sanitarium) (10/20/90)

Here's a nice little snippet of information I obtained yesterday... After
being an almost lifelong owner of Central Point's Copy 2 Plus software, I
called to report several bugs that I found in the "debugged" 9.1 version.
After much talk to the tech support and even to the actual programmer that
has been re-assigned to handle calls for the // product, I have been told
that though the product for the // line has not been "officially"
discontinued, there will be no future updates for the software and the bugs
that are currently in the 9.1 (latest) version will not be fixed. The
programmer admitted there were minor bugs (other than the ones I complained
about) and that possibly he would make some patches and offer them "at a $5
shareware price" (nice guy :) ). When I asked if writing letters of
disgruntlement would help, they said most likely it would not since all of
the departments had already been shut down.

Here are the bugs that I have found in the software (so you know)...

1- The Compare files command is still not 100% accurate, but is usable in the
   sense that it is obvious when it errors (you will see almost a completely
   different file and lots of differences on files that should be similar).

2- MAJOR bug: When using the (S)ort command, the program will corrupt
   directories with more than 12 subdirectories in them. Everything will
   appear to be normal until you try to manipulate files that are stored
   in that 13th- subdirectory...they won't copy, delete, etc. Mr. Fixit
   will correct the problem that it states as being "bad parent pointers".
   I highly recommend that you use Cat Doctor and not even mess with the
   Sort command on copy 2 plus.

I'd really like to find out what the "other minor bugs" that the programmer
knew about were... :(

|                                               |                       |
| UUCP: crash!pro-truckstop!appleman            | Still "GBBS"ing after |
| ARPA: crash!pro-truckstop!appleman@nosc.mil   |    all these years    |
| INET: appleman@pro-truckstop.cts.com          |   "Bo knows ACOS !"   |
|                                               |                       |

        [ My opinions are not my own. They're someone else's ]

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/20/90)

In article <5161@crash.cts.com> appleman@pro-truckstop.cts.com (The Sanitarium) writes:
>	[ Information about copy //+ being discontinued ]

I find this very surprising. Since Copy //+ is bundled as the "system disk"
for laser computers you'd think they'd be hiring extra help for the expected
increase in orders.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (10/21/90)

In article <5161@crash.cts.com> appleman@pro-truckstop.cts.com (The Sanitarium) writes:

[stuff re Central Point and their unwillingness to fix Copy 2+....]

Well there is a very easy fix to the problem. I use some Central
Point Software on my Macs. They are in a very competitive market
there, and there are alternatives. As such, I will be returning
their Mac product(Mac Tools Deluxe) with a note regarding the proper
way to treat long time customers.

The AppleII() market is far from gone, and Apple itself still has
some sensible people in positions of power. The dealer network and
some of the Apple reps need to be better trained, but it is far too
early to give up on Apple.

The Mac,GS and NeXT go well together. Perhaps Apple's main focus should
not be the high end but rather, as a useful gateway to information
contained and generated by more powerful platforms.

Philip McDunnough
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[my opinions,etc...]

paul@nuchat.UUCP (Paul Hutmacher) (10/22/90)

In article <5161@crash.cts.com> appleman@pro-truckstop.cts.com (The Sanitarium) writes:
> 2- MAJOR bug: When using the (S)ort command, the program will corrupt
>    directories with more than 12 subdirectories in them.

This bug has been in copy2plus since day one and is the main reason I've never
used it for anything other than de-protecting or copying copyrighted software.

Disk utilities like Bredon's ProSel are primo.  I still shudder when I see
folks using copy2plus for file manipulation.

Cheers!
--
paul@nuchat.UUCP
{uhnix1, uunet}!nuchat!paul

scottr@gnh-applesauce.cts.com (Scott Rothstein) (10/22/90)

Well, the most obvious bug is that Copy ][+ usually destroys GS/OS (since p8
can't handle resource forks). But everyone knows that....
\  Internet: scottr@applesauce.cts.com   /\   support      /
/  Handle:   Monte                       \/   ts'hahl      \
\  sometimes: Monte * fytr               /\----------------/
/  America Online: COMING SOON!!         /\  carpe diem!!  \
scottr@applesauce.bb.ny