[comp.sys.apple2] United Software Industries Bankrupt?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (10/23/90)

I found what I consider a major bug in USI's Ascii Express Mousetalk
version 1.51 last year.  I called the company and complained.  The
tech support person I spoke to had never heard of the problem, and was
doubtful that it would ever be followed up on.

Well, I waited and waited, I tried Applied Engineering's Readylink
program as an alternative, but it really isn't as easy to use.

Finally about a month ago I decided to call back and follow up on my
initial bug report complaint.  I called the number I had in the manual
(818) 887-5800.  It answers with an answering machine that says:

"if you reached this message, all our tech support lines are busy.
Please leave a message with your name, phone number and reason for
calling and we will get back to you as soon as possible."

Well, I have called this number on 5 different days at various
different times of day, I always get the taped message, I always leave
a message and I have never received a call back. (I have an answering
machine on my phone too so I would know if they tried...)

This leads me to believe that USI is not really operating.  Someone is
still paying the phone bill, but no one is answering calls.  Can
anyone else help out with more info about the current status of this
company?

For your info the bug is:

If you have any network printer (laserwriter, AppleTalk Imagewriter)
chosen under system 5.02, Mousetalk crashes on launch, whether it has
been configured to use a printer or not.    It worked fine under older
systems.

			Sincerely yours,

			Seymour Joseph

In article <Oct.22.18.51.56.1990.7179@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>I found what I consider a major bug in USI's Ascii Express Mousetalk
>version 1.51 last year.  I called the company and complained.  The
>tech support person I spoke to had never heard of the problem, and was
>doubtful that it would ever be followed up on.

	I know that this isn't a solution to your problem...
But have you ever tried ProTERM??  I used to LOVE Ascii Express (the
predecessor of MouseTalk), and still find it to be wonderful in terms
of the power it gives the user to configure everything...

	But I find ProTERM to be the best program out nowadays. I remember
trying Mousetalk when it came out however many years ago and didn't like
it.

	(Any of you who are/were Ascii Express users... Do any of you remember
either "Bill the Cat's" or "The Unknown User's" AE Smartmodem Macros file???
Just curious.. It was the one major thing I wrote and kept updating and tried
distribute a lot. It told people how to make redialing macros for Ascii
Express and Smartmodem compatible modems)

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/