[comp.sys.apple2] Help this guy

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (10/24/90)

I read something in a wanted group but he can't read comp.sys.apple2
so someone please mail and help this guy.

From uunet.UU.NET!verbatim!coconut Mon Oct 22 19:20:21 1990
To: uunet!ddsw1.mcs.com!zane@uunet.UU.NET (Sameer Parekh)
From: coconut@verbatim.COM (Roger Taylor)
Comments:
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 90 14:26:19 CDT

uunet!ddsw1.mcs.com!zane (Sameer Parekh) writes:

> I suggest you post your questions in comp.sys.apple2 where more apple2 users
> will read it.
> Well, if you have the System Utilities program you choose 'format a disk'
> and follow the menus.  Look for an apple2 user who lives near you so he/she
> can help you out live, wh	ch is what I think you need, live help.

Yea, so much for the help.  That letter is just so full of information.
But anyway... we have no comp.sys.apple2 on here, so I posted in the
WANTED section; it works for anything, as you proved to me by your reply.
Like I said in the original message, he hardly has any software for it
and no utilities.  A lady is helping us right now and she said that a
lot of programs will do ProDos formatting also, and we have a program
that will do it.  The problem is:  how do we get it on a disk that is
apparently formatted with another Dos and get it loaded up.
It is a binary file called SHRINKIT and we tried
PRINT CHR$(4);"BRUN SHRINKIT" but it still couldn't load or find it.
btw, why does the Apple have to have that chr$(4) in front of that
command?  I don't use an Apple, but I used to and I quit because of
it's strange requirements.  why not BRUN SHRINKIT... will that work?
Can you tell me how to get a basic program to autoboot?  Do I name
it "HELLO"?  That didn't work so I assume my friend has the wrong
DOS.
thanks

    Roger Taylor                       Internet: coconut@verbatim.COM
    1109 Hwy 15, West Monroe, La.          UUCP: verbatim!coconut
    1-318-397-1956        71291

Sameer Parekh   zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM  "Our liberty depends upon the freedom of
                                     the press, being limited, it is lost."
                                       --- Thomas Jefferson (Paraphrased)