[comp.sys.apple2] leaded gasoline

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (10/24/90)

In article <8053@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:
>	{Just as an aside, I don't see how gas stations charge MORE for
>unleaded gas when they have to do LESS to it from what I know.. lead
>is ADDED to make "regular" gas right?! So charge MORE for NOT adding
>lead... boy.. odd}

Tetraethyl lead (and these days, other additives) are added to gasoline
to reduce detonation (knoocking), which would be harmful to your engine.
When lead is prohibited, aromatic organic compounds are required in its
place to preserve the anti-knock properties of the mixture.  Those tend
to cost more, per gallon of final product, than the lead-containing
compounds that would have been preferred without federal regulations.