[comp.sys.apple2] What's a good RAM card?

ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (10/18/90)

Well, I finally have enough money for a hard drive! Since I'm going to get
the CVT Ramfast SCSI card, I need to get a new RAM card since my GSRAM isn't
DMA compatible (It's also full). Does anyone have any suggestions for a RAM
card (SIMMS or individual chips, doesn't matter. Just has to go up to 4 megs)
Harris Lab's card seems to be pretty cheap, as does that NCS-GS card... but,
I don't know that much about them. AE's GSRAM+ is more expensive, but it works
pretty well.

Also, if anyone over here doesn't plan on getting a hard drive anytime, soon,
you can buy my GSRAM rev. D, 1.5 megs on card for $130 negotiable. Please send
e-mail if you're interested.

Thanks in advance...
Dave

David Huang                              |           This space
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |          intentionally
America Online: DrWho29                  |           left blank

In article <38401@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>Well, I finally have enough money for a hard drive! Since I'm going to get
>the CVT Ramfast SCSI card, I need to get a new RAM card since my GSRAM isn't
>DMA compatible (It's also full). Does anyone have any suggestions for a RAM

	Are you sure your GSRAM isn't DMA compatible?

	I have a fully populated GSRAM card I got about 3 years ago, and
when I borrowed a hard drive (45 meg Syquest based), it all worked
virtually perfectly... [The Finder fonts messed up sometimes upon re-entry
to the Finder, but that was rare and someone told me that wasn't a DMA
problem... It might have been the well known problems about exiting from
ProTERM back into the Finder].

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

ifar355@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) (10/18/90)

In article <7951@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (The Unknown User) writes:

>In article <38401@ut-emx.uucp> ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David H. Huang) writes:
>>Well, I finally have enough money for a hard drive! Since I'm going to get
>>the CVT Ramfast SCSI card, I need to get a new RAM card since my GSRAM isn't
>>DMA compatible (It's also full). Does anyone have any suggestions for a RAM
>
>	Are you sure your GSRAM isn't DMA compatible?
>
>	I have a fully populated GSRAM card I got about 3 years ago, and
>when I borrowed a hard drive (45 meg Syquest based), it all worked
>virtually perfectly... [The Finder fonts messed up sometimes upon re-entry

    [some stuff deleted]
>--
>/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
>\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

I asked around here a couple of weeks ago, and everybody said that my GSRAM
wasn't DMA compat. Also, the latest issue of Nibble has a review for the two
fast SCSI cards, and it says that the GSRAM rev D and below aren't DMA compat.
I pulled out my GSRAM, and sure 'nuff, it was a rev. D copyright 1987. I'll
still need more memory to compile those big C programs whenever I get Orca/C,
so I'm still going to get a new card.

Dave

David Huang                              |           This space
Internet: ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu     |          intentionally
America Online: DrWho29                  |           left blank

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") (10/20/90)

[ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, looking for 4 MB DMA RAM card]

I have an Apricorn memory card that works fine.  I goot it a few months
ago from Standard Peripherals (they advertise in inCider) for $59.  It says
it's DMA compatible (though I haven't verified this), and it works with my
RAM Keeper.

I got 2 MB of 1 MB chips from the Chip Merchant at the same time.  I forget
how much each chip was exactly, but 16 of them came to around $90 including
shipping.  This was a few months ago, and prices may have dropped since then.

The Harris Labs GS Sauce costs about the same for the card (at Standard
Peripherals, which Harris referred me to, it was $79), but SIMMs are slightly
more expensive than DIPs.  I think the Chip Merchant quoted me a about $110
for the SIMMs.

--
Henry Throop
THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (10/21/90)

THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET ("Throop,Henry B") writes:
> [ifar355@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu, looking for 4 MB DMA RAM card]

[ Stuff about Apricorn memory card ]
> I got 2 MB of 1 MB chips from the Chip Merchant at the same time.  I forget
> how much each chip was exactly, but 16 of them came to around $90 including
> shipping.  This was a few months ago, and prices may have dropped since then.
>
> The Harris Labs GS Sauce costs about the same for the card (at Standard
> Peripherals, which Harris referred me to, it was $79), but SIMMs are slightly
> more expensive than DIPs.  I think the Chip Merchant quoted me a about $110
> for the SIMMs.

  I paid $85 for my empty GSSauce, and $43/SIMM from Peripheral
Outlet.  Chip Merchant has 'em for $39, but it's COD only, and that's
a pain here at school...  The GSSauce works great.  It's nice to have
2.25 megs...

> --
> Henry Throop
> THROOP@GRIN1.BITNET
> throoph@jacobs.cs.orst.edu

		-Greg T.

cyliao@hardy.u.washington.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (10/21/90)

Since there are lot people interested in RAM cards that use SIMMS, and are
trying to get hold of SIMMs, I'd like to point out current price for SIMMS.

The lowerst price I've personally seen is $49 / SIMM of 1meg, and
had heard price of $39 /SIMM of 1 meg.

And they carry one year warranty.

cyliao@wam.umd.edu     		o NeXT :  I put main frame power on two chips.
      @epsl.umd.edu		o people: We put main flame power on two guys.
      @bagend.eng.umd.edu       o ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xxx (reserved)	o RC + Apple // + Classic Music + NeXT = cyliao

lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com (Laer Haider) (10/24/90)

>I got 2 MB of 1 MB chips from the Chip Merchant at the same time.  I forget
>how much each chip was exactly, but 16 of them came to around $90 including
>shipping.  This was a few months ago, and prices may have dropped since then.
>
>The Harris Labs GS Sauce costs about the same for the card (at Standard
>Peripherals, which Harris referred me to, it was $79), but SIMMs are slightly
>more expensive than DIPs.  I think the Chip Merchant quoted me a about $110
>for the SIMMs.

Latest published prices from The Chip Merchant (ComputorEdge, 19 Oct 1990):

        1 MEG X 8 Simms............$39.00

All of the other prices you need to call to find out.  They can be reached at:
(619) 268-4774.

No, I don't work for them either, but do like their prices.
                                                                      /
            ProLine:   pro-grouch!lhaider                \\\//,   _/ //,
               INET:   lhaider@pro-grouch.cts.com         \_-//' /  //<,
    /\\        UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider             \ ///  <//`
   //\\\       UUCP:   crash!pro-grouch!lhaider@nosc.mil     /  >>  \\\`__/_
 ////\\\\\     The opinions expressed here belong to        (/   \\ //\\
// IIgs \\\    no entity(s), living or dead!                    // _//\\\\