[comp.sys.apple2] MacLCw/IIc emulator

CMDSEN@PRIMEG.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU (10/19/90)

Sorry, I just can't leave my personal biases out of this :-)

I think I will have to rely on Dave Whitney's advice at the present, as he
seems to be the only respondent to have actually seen one in action, WHY is
the emulator board referred to as a 'IIe' emulator?  Isn't it a 'slow' //c
emulator - closed system, no expansion slots?  A 'IIe' has SLOTS - it accepts
expansion interface cards - like Apple VOC (video overlay card)!  Does the
LC emulator card also emulate the VOC?  the PC-Transporter?  the FPE?

Is it a //c or IIe emulator?  Please tell me (us), Dave.

PS. this is not a flame, to Apple or Dave Whitney.  I have a lot of respect
for Dave, I appreciate the programs he has shared (Z-link and BinSCII), his
thoughtful comments and expertise on the net, etc.  But I do feel strongly
that the difference between a //c and IIe is essentially a closed vs open
architecture.  As II users, we should 'correct' Apple's portrayal of a closed
system as a 'IIe' emulator.

  --Steve Nelson, University of Iowa
    Internet: cmdsen@primeg.weeg.uiowa.edu
    Bitnet:   cmdsenpg@uiamvs.bitnet

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/19/90)

In article <9010191534.AA07951@apple.com> CMDSEN@PRIMEG.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU writes:
>Sorry, I just can't leave my personal biases out of this :-)
>
>I think I will have to rely on Dave Whitney's advice at the present, as he
>seems to be the only respondent to have actually seen one in action, WHY is
>the emulator board referred to as a 'IIe' emulator?  Isn't it a 'slow' //c

>Is it a //c or IIe emulator?  Please tell me (us), Dave.

>  --Steve Nelson, University of Iowa
>    Internet: cmdsen@primeg.weeg.uiowa.edu
>    Bitnet:   cmdsenpg@uiamvs.bitnet

As you stated, and as I have pointed out, I only saw the thing
*operate*. I did not inspect the card, or even look at the back of the
computer. What I know is it is not expandible in the sense of dropping
extra hardware in slots, so it's like a //c. On the other hand, memory
is flexible and hardware assignment to "slots" *is* flexible. I mean,
with the //c and //GS (builtin), you're stuck with how Apple assigned
hardware to slots. That's not the case with the LC. (Want the printer
port in slot 6? Fine. Drag it there.)

Now, after saying this, THAT IS ALL I KNOW (unfortuantely). I got very
excited about the thing, and the various MAC engineers were excited
too. They enjoy using it. It appears to work very well with older
software (even the copy-protected stuff on 5.25"). Now, stuff like how
does ProDOS ID the machine, or what the various ID bytes in memory
are, forget it. I really don't know. One doesn't glean all knowledge
in a 10 minute demo. You've already heard more on the net than I heard
at Apple (ie, 65c02, speeds, etc).

Once I get a hold of a spec sheet, I'll most likely buy one.

--
Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) (10/22/90)

CMDSEN@PRIMEG.WEEG.UIOWA.EDU writes:
>I think I will have to rely on Dave Whitney's advice at the present, as he
>seems to be the only respondent to have actually seen one in action, WHY is
>the emulator board referred to as a 'IIe' emulator?  Isn't it a 'slow' //c
>emulator - closed system, no expansion slots?  A 'IIe' has SLOTS - it accepts
>expansion interface cards - like Apple VOC (video overlay card)!  Does the
>LC emulator card also emulate the VOC?  the PC-Transporter?  the FPE?

    the PC-Transporter is irrelevant.  Soft-PC will cover it's place.
    It's slow, but it works.  The FPE is not included in the LC ('020),
    but is possible (i think), though I would SERIOUSLY doubt that much
    direct accessing could be done.  It'd be much more an LC performance
    speedup translating into an emulation speedup.  The VOC is out of the
    question, that would make this useful.

>Is it a //c or IIe emulator?  Please tell me (us), Dave.

    I see a IIc emulation, with possibly some improvement.

Anthony J. Stuckey
stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (10/23/90)

>>Is it a //c or IIe emulator?  Please tell me (us), Dave.

Maybe they should just call it an Appleworks runner.

bob church
bchurch.oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/25/90)

I don't know who asked about the LC's emulator daughter, it is specified as a
//e emulator.  It's supposed to be a full 128K //e (Including all video and
sound [Read speaker] on board).

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs