[comp.sys.apple2] DMA SCSI and Syquest

valheru@max.u.washington.edu (10/24/90)

Hi, does anyone know if the Transwarp v1.5 and RAMKeeper is DMA compatible?
I've just purchased an Apple DMA SCSI card and a Syquest 44 meg removable
harddrive and i'm having trouble getting my GS to recognize the drive.  I
have the SCSI card in slot 7, SCSI id set at 7 for the card and 6 for the
drive.  Control panel setting for slot 7 is 'Your Card' and the drive has a
terminator.  Other peripherals include Transwarp GS, RAM4000 with 4 megs in
a RAMKeeper and PC Transporter in slot 6.
Any help will be much appreciated!  Thanks!

ted

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (10/25/90)

valheru@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>Hi, does anyone know if the Transwarp v1.5 and RAMKeeper is DMA compatible?

The TransWarp GS (earlier ones anyway) need an updated PAL chip to be
DMA compatible.  It is free from Applied Engineering.  Just call their
tech support number (easier said than done) and tell them you need the
DMA PAL.

You can tell if you have the old PAL because the chip says TWGS 2A on
it.  You can find the chip on the processor side of the card at the top
near the oscilator (the silver thing).  There are two chips up there by
themselves under a yellow capacitor labeled C25.  The second chip down
is the TWGS 2A PAL.  If the chip says TWGS 2B, you already have a DMA
compatible card.

I've just purchased an Apple DMA SCSI card and a Syquest 44 meg removable
>harddrive and i'm having trouble getting my GS to recognize the drive.  I
>have the SCSI card in slot 7, SCSI id set at 7 for the card and 6 for the
>drive.  Control panel setting for slot 7 is 'Your Card' and the drive has a
>terminator.  Other peripherals include Transwarp GS, RAM4000 with 4 megs in

The Syquest drives are usually internally terminated, ie some socketed
SIPP (single inline pin package) resistors (usually yellow) are in the
sockets at the back of the drive near the scsi connector (on the drive,
not the case).  Only the last drive can be terminated.  If you have an
external terminator on the card too, it may cause problems.

The SCSI bus requires a terminator at each end.  Most SCSI cards are
terminated so only the last drive needs a terminator.

If you use several drives, a lot of folks like to remove all of the
intrnal terminators a just stick the external terminator on the last
drive in the chain.  That way you don't have to get a screwdriver and
open the box to remove/insert terminators on the drive board when you
rearrange configurations.

Most pople use one drive at a time so internal termination in that case
is simpler, just plug it in and go.

If you are going to use the Syquest to carry from machine to machine to
do backups, external terminators will make the job much easier.

rnf@catt.ncsu.edu

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/26/90)

 Actually the very FIRST transwarp's are dma
compatible.  If you have a 7.0 mhz revision 1.1 or
below it is dma compatible.  If you have a 6.25 or a
6.25 upgraded to 7.0 you will need the pal changes.
The only thing about the rev 1.1 is that you cannot
upgrade the speed.

 BTW, ZIp Chip GS's are shipping now, Roger Coats
has them.  A few people have already gotten theirs.