[comp.sys.apple2] Annoying Moire patterns that suck but can't be fixed

In article <1990Oct14.183035.29882@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Desdinova) writes:
>  Speaking of the VGC upgrade, my monitor has nasty moire-like interference
>patterns on the desktop background.  I know of several other GS's that
>DON'T have this problem. I know of others that do.  What gives?  My VGC
>was supposedly replaced along with my upgrade to ROM 01, but I'm not so
>sure (you know dealers- whole wheat for brains, usually).  I'd reeeeaaaly
>Like to fix this, it's quite annoying and somewhat embarassing when I'm
>showing off my machine's great graphics.

	I think you've been around on comp.sys.apple2 for a long time but
maybe you simply missed the discussion..

	A FEW times in the last year or two I tried to find solutions to
this UTTERLY annoying but non-harmful problem. Apparently there IS NO SOLUTION.
It just happens to some people (I believe a vast majority but I could be
wrong) and not to others.

	I -think- the monitor itself has something to do with it. Because of
that, and the cost, I have recommended that people buy the Commodore
monitor used with the Amiga.. It costs a lot less, has RGB (digital AND
analog I think) and NTSC inputs and has a speaker in the monitor w/volume
control...  I wish I had bought that instead. So what if the monitor says
Commodore on it?

	Also, on mine, along with the general Moire patterns, the lower left
corner of the screen has an annoying 'shift' in color to some other color..
I believe it's the border AND the regular part of the screen... my border's
black usually though. It also only happens when I'm in SHR mode. I
just chnaged the border color to each of them and don't notice it now. I
have a System Saver //e fan on my GS (My GS was upgraded from a //e so it's
in a //e style case)....

	I have tried moving the monitor away from the fan or disconnecting
the fan... None of this helped. I actually had this problem before the fan
so a bunch of this about the fan is unnecessary information. There are no
other sources of magnetism near my monitor that have not been away from it for
a long time.. (like my Bose Roommate speakers.. They are now far enough away
from my monitor that they cause no visual interference... I had all of the
Moire and corner interference before I had them too though).

	Ohwell, enough descriptions. I just hope somehow this problem (the
Moire one at least) can somehow be fixed although I've been convinced it
cannot.

--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/16/90)

 The commodore 1084s moniter displays the same
problem when displaying 640 mode graphics.  THe
reason you don't notice it is because workbench<2.0
is in 320 mode.  Its like ya say; a moniter-thing.
My Apple RGB doesn't do it in 640, yet my commodore
moniter does it in 640 (not even interlace is needed
to have the problem come up).  Whereas my IBM
moniter doesn't have a problem (it is a multisync
moniter though, whatever the heck that means [in
laymens terms, MORE EXPENSIVE!  <grin>)

--
6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu/ucsbuxa.bitnet
america online: AFA PARIK    genie:P.RAO

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (10/26/90)

In article <6608@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) writes:
> The commodore 1084s moniter displays the same
>problem when displaying 640 mode graphics.  THe
>reason you don't notice it is because workbench<2.0
>is in 320 mode.  Its like ya say; a moniter-thing.
>My Apple RGB doesn't do it in 640, yet my commodore
>moniter does it in 640 (not even interlace is needed
>to have the problem come up).

Since I use a Commodore 1084 on my Apple IIgs, I can
confirm the problem is a monitor problem.

Apparently, the Apple IIgs RGB and Commodore 1084 monitors
weren't designed for 640 mode.

FYI: it doesn't matter whether a monitor is "multisync"
or not, the problem is the CRT res, not the electronics.

BTW: multisync means just that: it will work with display
adaptors using different synchronizing frequencies (actually
scanning rates).

About MS-DOS: "... an OS originally designed for a microprocessor that modern
                kitchen appliances would sneer at...."
                   - Dave Trowbridge, _Computer Technology Review_, Aug 90

                                     iwblsys\
rlw@ttardis	    uunet!rel.mi.org!cfctech!ttardis!rlw
                sharkey.cc.umich.edu/
    rel.mi.org is currently sick - back in 2 weeks.