[comp.sys.apple2] Enhancing a //e

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (10/15/90)

Is it still possible to enhanced an unenhanced //e? My dad has been
thinking about upgrading his //e and I think it is a good idea. He
bought it mainly because it was expandable, and thus worth the extra
cost, but then he never did anything with it except add a mouse.

I'm wondering how much this would cost if it can still be done,
and if I have to go to a dealer or if I can get an expansion kit
from Programs Plus or someplace like that for cheaper. A

Also, if anyone has a used memory expansion add-on for the standard
80-col card, that might satisfy him a bit (what else comes in the
expansion besides new character rom?).

MQUINN@UTCVM.BITNET (10/16/90)

On Mon, 15 Oct 90 02:21:36 GMT Andy Tefft said:
>Is it still possible to enhanced an unenhanced //e? My dad has been
>thinking about upgrading his //e and I think it is a good idea. He
>bought it mainly because it was expandable, and thus worth the extra
>cost, but then he never did anything with it except add a mouse.
>
>I'm wondering how much this would cost if it can still be done,

I know it used to be $75 from an Apple Dealer, but I don't know if it's
still available

>and if I have to go to a dealer or if I can get an expansion kit
>from Programs Plus or someplace like that for cheaper. A

>80-col card, that might satisfy him a bit (what else comes in the
>expansion besides new character rom?).

A new CPU chip... the 65c02.  It replaces the old 6502 and has a few more
instructions on it, allowing more programs to be used with it.

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (10/16/90)

In article <9010152127.AA29383@apple.com>, MQUINN@UTCVM writes:
>>I'm wondering how much this would cost if it can still be done,
>
>I know it used to be $75 from an Apple Dealer, but I don't know if it's
>still available

The IIe enhancement kit is also available from Alltech Electronics for
$79.  (619) 721-7733.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (10/17/90)

Yes, you can still buy //e enhancement kits.  They go for about $59 from
Quality Computers.

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (10/26/90)

Sorry to have to do this, but two things:

First, whoever wrote me saying they had a spare extended 80-col-card
or just the extra 64k to be added on to my 80-col card, please
write me back. I lost your mail.

Second, programs plus has the enhancement kit for $58 which includes
the roms & 65c02. I'm surprised the price for this has gone up -
my latest issue of nibble (1987) has it for $45.