[comp.sys.apple2] Apple on new Macs

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (10/20/90)

	This really isn't anything new, but I thought a few people might
find it interesting.

	On "The Computer Chronicles," a weekly PBS show about computers
(about 75% IBM, and 25% Mac usually), they did an episode about
the 'revitalized home market'.

	They did a segment on the PS/1..

	They showed some other computer, and then they did the new Macs..

	They had someone from Apple showing them off and they asked her
if she thought that the new Macs would be home computers (something to
that effect).. She said something like Apple thought they'd do well as
home computers as well as business computers. OBVIOUSLY it's a
"generic" marketing answer, but it's still kinda funny when you
realize Apple doesn't usually admit a home market exists..

	They also did a report on the Commodore 64 computer... They
called it "the granddaddy of personal computers"... Sheesh.. What about
the Apple II???  Commodore 64s are still being sold in Toys R Us stores..
One store said they sell like 5 a month. JEEZ! That sounds like nothing,
but if you figure out how many Toys R Us stores there are, that's probably
a couple hundred a month AT LEAST for a non-advertized machine..
(Boy that last part sounds familiar huh?)

	They made a SMALL mention of the Apple II card for the LC (I
believe that's the right one).  The lady said something that I don't
remember exactly but it really sounded funny... It seemed as she was
sort of pitying people who bought Apple IIs! Obviously it wasn't
meant that way (or WAS it??!?!?!?! Big conspiracy?!?!?! heh), but she
said something like "Well we really feel for the people who bought Apple
IIs and have software"..

	BUT THEN they show what I believe they said was a HYPERCARD
program that read Peter Rabbit.. You could click on the rabbits and it
would way which one it was, and it would color each phrase as it
read the story...  Seems strange. Unless I'm wrong, they don't even
SHOW the //e card running!

	Do you have to run special software on the Mac end or does it
actually scan the 5.25" drive upon bootup?

	Also, this is about the show itself.. Does anyone know what happened
to Gary Kildall [I believe the father of CP/M and a few companies]???
--
/               Apple II(GS) Forever!    unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu               \
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (10/23/90)

In article <8024@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User)
says:

>remember exactly but it really sounded funny... It seemed as she was
>sort of pitying people who bought Apple IIs! Obviously it wasn't
>meant that way (or WAS it??!?!?!?! Big conspiracy?!?!?! heh), but she

Probably it was her personal pity that showed up there... Mac-brainwashed
people always tend to pity those of us who are not chained to a mouse.
On the other hand, I tend to pity those who are mac-brainwashed and never
learned anything more than point-and-click.

mcgurrin@MWUNIX.MITRE.ORG (10/24/90)

When it comes to games (an important part of the home market) it seems the
lowly C64 is much better supported than the II.  This has always surprised
me, but most stores I go to have larger C64 sections than II sections, and
a quick glance through any issue of Computer Gaming World over the last
several years will show this to be true.  CGW is oriented more towards
strategy games, and I'd say that most support in terms of game software is
MS-DOS, followed by Amiga, then C64 and Mac, then the II.  Pretty sad...

$CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) (10/25/90)

>When it comes to games (an important part of the home market) it seems the
>lowly C64 is much better supported than the II.  This has always surprised
>me, but most stores I go to have larger C64 sections than II sections, and
>a quick glance through any issue of Computer Gaming World over the last
>several years will show this to be true.  CGW is oriented more towards
>strategy games, and I'd say that most support in terms of game software is
>MS-DOS, followed by Amiga, then C64 and Mac, then the II.  Pretty sad...

You know what is even more pathetic...pick up a copy of RUN magazine
(the main magazine for the C64). What will you see in it's editorials?
CRITICISM OF COMMODORE. This magazine is produced by the International
Data Group Communications (IDG), WHICH ALSO PRODUCES INCIDER MAGAZINE;
in which you never see criticism of Apple policies (in the eyes of
Dan (Quayle) Muse, InCider's editor, John Sculley is a megagenius, and
the Macintosh is your friend)

----------------------------
Mark Orr                   !
$CSD211@LSUVM.SNCC.LSU.EDU !
----------------------------

rankins@argentina (raymond r rankins) (10/25/90)

In article <9010251129.AA16026@apple.com>, $CSD211@LSUVM (Mark Orr) writes:
>.... This magazine is produced by the International
>Data Group Communications (IDG), WHICH ALSO PRODUCES INCIDER MAGAZINE;
>in which you never see criticism of Apple policies (in the eyes of
>Dan (Quayle) Muse, InCider's editor, John Sculley is a megagenius, and
>the Macintosh is your friend)

Of course you won't now.  Incider is going to become a Mac/AppleII magazine
after the first of the year.  They don't want to be offending a potentially
major advertiser (especially with all the money Apple is supposed to
be spending on advertising the new Macs).  I wouldn't be surprised
to see Mac ads in the December issue of Incider.  I saw that whole editorial
as a set-up for the transition of Incider to becoming a Mac/AppleII mag.

Ray

Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
<insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (SCOTT ALFTER) (10/26/90)

In article <9010251129.AA16026@apple.com> $CSD211@LSUVM.BITNET (Mark Orr) writes:
>You know what is even more pathetic...pick up a copy of RUN magazine
>(the main magazine for the C64). What will you see in it's editorials?
>CRITICISM OF COMMODORE. This magazine is produced by the International
>Data Group Communications (IDG), WHICH ALSO PRODUCES INCIDER MAGAZINE;
>in which you never see criticism of Apple policies (in the eyes of
>Dan (Quayle) Muse, InCider's editor, John Sculley is a megagenius, and
>the Macintosh is your friend)

Of course--why do you think _InCider_ will be getting a Mac section in '91?
It's one more thing to dislike about _InCider_, I suppose; I never got a
subscription because I didn't like what I saw of _InCider_ on the magazine
racks in bookstores.  Maybe everyone who has an _Incider_ subscription should
cancel before the end of the year and get _Nibble_, which will remain as the
only Apple II-specific magazine (not counting _A2-Central_, which bills itself
as a newsletter).

Scott Alfter                             _/_
                                        / v \ Apple II:
Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Alex Raftis) (10/26/90)

In article <2202@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.uucp (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
>Of course--why do you think _InCider_ will be getting a Mac section in '91?
>It's one more thing to dislike about _InCider_, I suppose; I never got a
>subscription because I didn't like what I saw of _InCider_ on the magazine
>racks in bookstores.  Maybe everyone who has an _Incider_ subscription should
>cancel before the end of the year and get _Nibble_, which will remain as the
>only Apple II-specific magazine (not counting _A2-Central_, which bills itself
>as a newsletter).

Actually, InCider carrying Mac Stuff is not all that new. During the first
year or so, InCider carried articles about the Mac. They finally stopped
doing this only when Mac specific magazines began to appear on the shelves.

                     Internet: araftis@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
               America Online: xela      (Real Life: Alex Raftis)

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/26/90)

On Thu, 25 Oct 90 16:40:34 GMT raymond r rankins said:
>Of course you won't now.  Incider is going to become a Mac/AppleII magazine
>after the first of the year.  They don't want to be offending a potentially
>major advertiser (especially with all the money Apple is supposed to
>be spending on advertising the new Macs).  I wouldn't be surprised
>to see Mac ads in the December issue of Incider.  I saw that whole editorial
>as a set-up for the transition of Incider to becoming a Mac/AppleII mag.

You're probably right.  I remember back in '85 when A+ used to be an 'Apple'
magazine... They had a part of the magazine dedicated to the Mac, but when
the GS came along, they dropped the Mac Stuff completely.... Now that their
Magazine COMBINED with Incider has nearly shrunk to the size of brochure,
I'm sure they'll stick the Mac stuff back in.

>Ray
>
>Ray Rankins          |(518) 387-7174 | INTERNET: rankins@argentina.crd.ge.com
>2 Moonglow Rd.       |(518) 583-3320 | COMPUSERVE: 71131,3236
>Gansevoort, NY 12831 |               | AmericaOnline: RayRankins
><insert standard disclaimer here>    | GEnie: R.Rankins

|                                    |                               |
|  This is your brain...             |  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|  This is your brain on drugs...    |  pro-line:                    |
|  This is your brain on whole wheat.|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|

On Thu, 25 Oct 90 22:04:49 GMT SCOTT ALFTER said:
>racks in bookstores.  Maybe everyone who has an _Incider_ subscription should
>cancel before the end of the year and get _Nibble_, which will remain as the
>only Apple II-specific magazine (not counting _A2-Central_, which bills itself
>as a newsletter).

Don't forget GS+.  Although it's not an 8-bit II magzine, it's a II(GS) magazin
e. :)

>Scott Alfter                             _/_
>                                        / v \ Apple II:
>Internet: alfter@uns-helios.nevada.edu (    ( the power to be your best!
>   GEnie: S.ALFTER                      \_^_/

|                                    |                               |

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (10/27/90)

In article <2202@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> alfter@uns-helios.uucp (SCOTT ALFTER) writes:
> Maybe everyone who has an _Incider_ subscription should
>cancel before the end of the year and get _Nibble_, which will remain as the
>only Apple II-specific magazine (not counting _A2-Central_, which bills itself
>as a newsletter).

And 8/16 (an *excellent II specific magazine) and GS+

---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center MN65-2100
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar