[comp.sys.apple2] What unpacks .BSQ files?

unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) (10/28/90)

	I thought that ShrinkIt and/or ShrinkIt GS would unpack these,
but neither does.

	They were downloaded from the ftp site at tybalt.caltech.edu, and
it says it uses binary mode when you first log on, so they were apparently
sent in binary mode.

	Neither of the ShrinkIts nor BLU unpacks this... So any help would
be appreciated...  (The things I got were the QBERT GS program and
two games whose names began with SPACE-something)

	Thanks.

--
/Apple II(GS) Forever! unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu MAIL ME FOR INFO ABOUT CHEAP CDs\
\"If cartoons were meant for adults, they'd be on in prime time."-Lisa Simpson/

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (10/28/90)

In article <8251@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unknown@ucscb.ucsc.edu (The Unknown User) writes:
>	They were downloaded from the ftp site at tybalt.caltech.edu, and
>it says it uses binary mode when you first log on, so they were apparently
>sent in binary mode.

Since they consist entirely of printable text, binary transfer is not
strictly necessary.

I notice that most of those particular files have junk before the first
line, which should contain "FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt".  Perhaps editing the
files to remove the preliminary junk would help.

SPC1@psuvm.psu.edu (Sean Costella) (10/28/90)

These files are unpacked by binscii, you must download them as text files.

                                               Good luck,
                                                    Seeen

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/28/90)

.BSQ is a somewhat de facto suffix indicating shrinkit archives that have been
binscii'd. I've been using that convention on tybalt, AND YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN
THAT IF YOU'D GOTTEN AND READ THE README FILE!!!

BTW, the FiLeStArT lines tell binscii where the start of each block is, so that
it can ignore the garbage text in front. You can run binscii on any text file
you please and it will ignore everything until it finds a FiLeStArT line (if
there is one).

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/29/90)

In article <14266@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>I notice that most of those particular files have junk before the first
>line, which should contain "FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt".  Perhaps editing the
>files to remove the preliminary junk would help.

Any text file that contains a "FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt" line is a BinSCII
encoded file. BinSCII is smart enough to look over garbage and find the
data. The problem everyone is having is trying to run Shrinkit (or
BLU) on these files. The file is a text-encoded binary file. You must
run BinSCII on it first. BinSCII's output should then be unpackable by
Shrinkit no problem.

--
Dave Whitney
Computer Science MIT 1990	| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/29/90)

It is not necessary to remove any of the junk before FiLeStArTfIlEsTaRt
or at the end.  What is necessary is to run these files through BINSCII
before trying to unshrink them.
| Jeffrey Hutzelman                   America Online: JeffreyH11 |
| Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu      BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS       |
|                     >> Apple // Forever!!! <<                  |