[comp.sys.apple2] AppleWorksGS Terminal Emulation

pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon) (10/16/90)

I just started playing with AWGS 1.1 (which I installed on my
now-working hard drive using the install program included) and
especially with the communications portion.

I have a few questions:

1.  Is there any way to get the terminal to emulate a VT100 or any
    other standard terminal configuration?  (patches or commands I
    missed or otherwise?)

2.  I tried downloading a few things using Binary II receive, but during
    the download it would give me "error $0043" and then "error $0053"
    and then say it could not complete the transfer.  What do these
    errors indicate?

The reference books for the program were of little help.

Thanks for any information,

Patrick Gannon	                             |\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/|
pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Internet)           |         Hire me        |
...!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!pmgannon (UUCP) |/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|

jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) (10/16/90)

From article <1990Oct15.172901.21548@athena.mit.edu>, by pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon):

> I just started playing with AWGS 1.1 (which I installed on my
> now-working hard drive using the install program included) and
> especially with the communications portion.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any way to get the terminal to emulate a VT100 or any
>     other standard terminal configuration?  (patches or commands I
>     missed or otherwise?)
No.  There is not enough resolution on the graphics screen for readable
text of 23 lines.  You can only get eighteen.  Sorry.

> 2.  I tried downloading a few things using Binary II receive, but during
>     the download it would give me "error $0043" and then "error $0053"
>     and then say it could not complete the transfer.  What do these
>     errors indicate?
Hmm.  I haven't heard of this.  Perhaps you ran out of disk space?
Or the disk you are downloading to was off-line.  I thought
we fixed all of those.  I suggest you call our Techinal Support
on this one.

--
Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) (10/18/90)

In article <11301@claris.com> jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes:

   From article <1990Oct15.172901.21548@athena.mit.edu>, by pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon):

[Clip]

  >> 1.  Is there any way to get the terminal to emulate a VT100 or any
  >>     other standard terminal configuration?  (patches or commands I
  >>     missed or otherwise?)

>No.  There is not enough resolution on the graphics screen for readable
>text of 23 lines.  You can only get eighteen.  Sorry.

What this has to do with it I don't know.  I've used SnowTerm on several
occasions, and if I'm not mistaken, the FONT is of the issue here.
You can use a proportional font with a small enough point size, you could
even get 132 columns. But that's a different issue.  The reason why you
can't get VT-100 emulation on AppleWorks GS is simply because Claris
didn't include ANY emulation capability in there communications program,
which, I might add, handles 9600 baud in graphics mode better than several
other graphic-based communication programs for the gs.

Still won't use it though..I need emulations (ANSI, VT-100/220, ProTerm, etc.)

>   --
>   Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
>   jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.
>   jazzman@apple.com  | These opinions are mine.  Any resemblence to other
>   GO RICE! GO 'STROS!|  opinions, real or fictitious, is purely coincidence.

[   Jay Adelson        | BIX: j.adelson   ]  [   T.G.C.                       ]
[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu | Channel One:     ]  [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
[   GEnie: J.ADELSON1  |    Jay Adelson   ]  [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (10/18/90)

In article <GHOST.90Oct17131737@bucsf.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) writes:

>In article <11301@claris.com> jazzman@claris.com (Sydney R. Polk) writes:
>
>   From article <1990Oct15.172901.21548@athena.mit.edu>, by pmgannon@athena.mit.edu (Patrick Gannon):
>
>[Clip]
>
>  >> 1.  Is there any way to get the terminal to emulate a VT100 or any
>  >>     other standard terminal configuration?  (patches or commands I
>  >>     missed or otherwise?)
>
>>No.  There is not enough resolution on the graphics screen for readable
>>text of 23 lines.  You can only get eighteen.  Sorry.
>
>What this has to do with it I don't know.  I've used SnowTerm on several
>occasions, and if I'm not mistaken, the FONT is of the issue here.
>>   --
>>   Syd Polk           | Wherever you go, there you are.
>>   jazzman@claris.com | Let the music be your light.
>>   jazzman@apple.com  | These opinions are mine.  Any resemblence to other
>>   GO RICE! GO 'STROS!|  opinions, real or fictitious, is purely coincidence.
>
>[   Jay Adelson        | BIX: j.adelson   ]  [   T.G.C.                       ]
>[   ghost@bucsf.bu.edu | Channel One:     ]  [   1039 Commonwealth Ave. #18   ]
>[   GEnie: J.ADELSON1  |    Jay Adelson   ]  [   Boston, MA. 02215-1008       ]

The issue here is that Snowterm doesn't have a menu bar or put the
terminal in a window. Snowterm only does terminals which AWGS does
other stuff. Therefore AWGS *must* display things by the book. Once
you've lopped off the screen real estate for a menu bar and window
title bar and grow regions, you've knocked away a good deal of space.
You just can't put 24 readable lines on the screen at that point.
*That's* why there's no term emul at all.

--
Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.

rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) (10/18/90)

dcw@lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

>In article <GHOST.90Oct17131737@bucsf.bu.edu> ghost@bucsf.bu.edu (Jay Adelson) writes:
>>
>>[Clip]
>>
>>  >> 1.  Is there any way to get the terminal to emulate a VT100 or any
>>  >>     other standard terminal configuration?  (patches or commands I
>>  >>     missed or otherwise?)
>>
>>>No.  There is not enough resolution on the graphics screen for readable
>>>text of 23 lines.  You can only get eighteen.  Sorry.

[stuff deleted]

>The issue here is that Snowterm doesn't have a menu bar or put the
>terminal in a window. Snowterm only does terminals which AWGS does
>other stuff. Therefore AWGS *must* display things by the book. Once
>you've lopped off the screen real estate for a menu bar and window
>title bar and grow regions, you've knocked away a good deal of space.
>You just can't put 24 readable lines on the screen at that point.
>*That's* why there's no term emul at all.

>Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
>Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.
>dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu	| My opinions, you hear? MINE!
>dcw@athena.mit.edu		| "Isn't this where..."

With system 5.0 you can turn the menu bar on and off.  Who needs scroll
bars on a VT-100 screen?  You could just make the window a plain outline
window (with the outline offscreen if you need those pixels) that takes
up the entire screen.  If you use a font that requires 9 vertical lines
per line of VT-100 screen (for example) you could get 22 lines, a font
using 8 lines would give 25 lines.

SnowTerm used the text screen for speed, note that it does have a menu
bar.  SnowTerm could use the same font in a regular graphics window and
work just as well, although slower.  The programming wizards at Claris
can squeeze the speed out that would be needed ( don't you love being
volunteered for stuff by someone with great confidence in your abilities
:-) !).

You could toggle the scroll bar on and off to see the whole screen with
a keyboard command, like HyperStudio.

This can be done, the question is, will Claris take the challenge?

In article <1990Oct18.135317.29691@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:

>With system 5.0 you can turn the menu bar on and off.  Who needs scroll
>bars on a VT-100 screen?

I didn't know that. Oh well. As for scroll bars, *someone* will want them!

>SnowTerm used the text screen for speed, note that it does have a menu

I thought it used teh SHR screen to get fancy vt100 capabilities like blinking
and real double-sized chars. I haven't used it since I never got it to work
right on my machine.

>This can be done, the question is, will Claris take the challenge?

It may not be so much of a challenge in terms of coding, rather it might
be more so in terms with keeping in line with the Human Interface
Guidelines. It could be quite shocking to some poor dope if his menu
bar vanishes, along with all of his other windows. The REAL solution,
of course, is to have a bigger screen...

--

MQUINN%UTCVM@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (10/29/90)

On Thu, 18 Oct 90 15:27:56 GMT David C. Whitney said:
>In article <1990Oct18.135317.29691@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Rick
> Fincher) writes:
>>SnowTerm used the text screen for speed, note that it does have a menu
>
>I thought it used teh SHR screen to get fancy vt100 capabilities like blinking
>and real double-sized chars. I haven't used it since I never got it to work
>right on my machine.

It does use the SHR screen.  I'm using it right now and no way, is this a text
screen.

>It may not be so much of a challenge in terms of coding, rather it might
>be more so in terms with keeping in line with the Human Interface
>Guidelines. It could be quite shocking to some poor dope if his menu
>bar vanishes, along with all of his other windows. The REAL solution,
>of course, is to have a bigger screen...

One way around this is to have a 'vanishing' meny bar.  The menu bar only shows
up when the mouse happens to be top 13 or so lines and vanishes when the mouse
moves down from the menu bar, revealing what's behind it.  I assume the same
could be done with the scroll bars too.

>--
>Dave Whitney			| I wrote Z-Link and BinSCII. Send me bug
>Computer Science MIT 1990	| reports. I need a job. Send me an offer.
>dcw@goldilocks.lcs.mit.edu	| My opinions, you hear? MINE!
>dcw@athena.mit.edu		| "Isn't this where..."

|CENSORED   CENSORED    CENSORED   C |                               |
|ED  CENSORED  CENSORED CENSORED  CEN|  BITNET-- mquinn@utcvm        |
|ENSORED   CENSORED  CENSORED  CENSOR|  pro-line:                    |
|ORED  CEBSORED  CENSORED  CENSORED C|    mquinn@pro-gsplus.cts.com  |