[comp.sys.apple2] Desperately seeking Apple 2 E Dos 3.3 SYSTEM DISK

brand@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Russell Brand) (10/25/90)

Earlier this month a public libarary was vandalized.  We have been
able to put most of the library back together (rebuilding bookcases,
replacing window glass, etc.) but alas the circulation system was
running on an Apple 2 e computer and all of the copies of our system
disks were destroyed.

If anyone can suggest where we can beg, borrow, or buy a DOS 3.3
System Master for an apple 2 e (or something functionally equivellant)
it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help
Russll Brand
415 525 6549
brand@lll-crg.llnl.gov

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/26/90)

Unfortunately, the DOS 3.3 System Master can't be mailed out over the
net.  Try going down to your local Apple dealer and see if they have
one.  I know it's a long shot, but it might work.  Try wherever you
would go to get the machine serviced; places that can service machines
that won't run ProDOS (like ]['s and ][+'s) have to have DOS 3.3 around
somewhere.
-----------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman
America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet/BITNET:jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu, jhutz@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu,
                jh4o@cmuccvma

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (10/27/90)

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:

>Unfortunately, the DOS 3.3 System Master can't be mailed out over the
>net.

For legal reasons. However, I don't think Apple would be terribly upset
if we sent them a shrunk disk of it.

> Try going down to your local Apple dealer and see if they have
>one.  I know it's a long shot, but it might work.  Try wherever you
>would go to get the machine serviced; places that can service machines

They'll have to; they mailed me earlier and they don't have any comm software
for the //e's.

>that won't run ProDOS (like ]['s and ][+'s) have to have DOS 3.3 around
>somewhere.

Minor technical nitpick: any 64K Apple can run prodos, it's the applications
that require a ][+ or later. prodos used to run in 48K, but Apple dropped
support for that a while ago for quite justifiable reasons.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) (10/29/90)

In article <Ib9ymZq00Voi48MlUt@andrew.cmu.edu> jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) writes:
>Unfortunately, the DOS 3.3 System Master can't be mailed out over the
>net.  Try going down to your local Apple dealer and see if they have
>one.  I know it's a long shot, but it might work.  Try wherever you
>would go to get the machine serviced; places that can service machines
>that won't run ProDOS (like ]['s and ][+'s) have to have DOS 3.3 around
>somewhere.

	I've missed the original posting, but I gather that someone is
looking for a DOS 3.3 System Master.

	The System Master was recently placed on GEnie (with Apple's
blessing), in their Apple forums.  The lastest ProDOS release (v1.9)
is also available there.

--
|  Ralph P Carpenter      | InterNet: Ralpho@acc.fau.edu     | Blake's 7:  |
|  Sr Programmer/Analyst  |           CarpentR@SerVax.Bitnet |   The       |

jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeffrey T. Hutzelman) (10/30/90)

I believe it may also be available for ftp on apple.com, but don't take
my word for it.
--------------------
Jeffrey Hutzelman			America Online: JeffreyH11
Internet: jh4o+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: JHUTZ@DRYCAS
>> Apple // Forever!!! <<

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/30/90)

If you need a copy of the DOS3.3 system master, contact:
The Boston Computer Society
Apple User's Group
One Center Plaza
Boston, MA  02108
Attn: PD Library.

Since we are licenced by Apple to distribute their OS, I'm sure that we can
scare up a copy of this disk for ya.  (Please note, there will be a small fee)

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (10/30/90)

carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) writes:

>	The System Master was recently placed on GEnie (with Apple's
>blessing), in their Apple forums.  The lastest ProDOS release (v1.9)

Does that mean that Apple has made a policy allowing non-commercial
distribution of System disks? I thought that was always the case.
Whether you call GEnie "non-commercial" or not is another story.

I have a BINscii'd Shrinkit archive of the DOS 3.3 master and program
disk (the last DOS 3.3 release), and I can put this on an FTP
archive if anyone cares, and if it's legal.

--
Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (10/30/90)

In article <a725cf.6b00@quack.sac.ca.us> mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) writes:
>carpentr@serss0.fiu.edu (Ralph P Carpenter) writes:
>
>>	The System Master was recently placed on GEnie (with Apple's
>>blessing), in their Apple forums.  The lastest ProDOS release (v1.9)
>
>Does that mean that Apple has made a policy allowing non-commercial
>distribution of System disks? I thought that was always the case.
>Whether you call GEnie "non-commercial" or not is another story.

To distribute Apple System Software you must obtain a licensing
agreement from Apple. I think they charge a fee to most groups to do this
There are probably special requirements for online distribution though.

>I have a BINscii'd Shrinkit archive of the DOS 3.3 master and program
>disk (the last DOS 3.3 release), and I can put this on an FTP
>archive if anyone cares, and if it's legal.

It's not legal it seems. Though Apple does not support DOS 3.3 at this
time, they still retain full rights to it. To do what you suggest would
require that you get an agreement from Apple.

>--
>Nick Sayer               | Disclaimer: "Don't try this at home, | RIP: Mel Blanc
>mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us  | kids. This should only be done by    |   1908-1989
>N6QQQ  [44.2.1.17]       | trained, professional idiots."       |  May he never
>209-952-5347 (Telebit)   |                     --Plucky Duck    |  be silenced

|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |