[comp.sys.apple2] GENIE

v38611d@taltta.hut.fi (Tero Korento) (10/30/90)

Does GENIE have a ftp address ? What is it ?
thanx.

--- Tero Korento ---

STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) (10/30/90)

 .MIT.EDU>

On Mon, 29 Oct 90 16:34:51 GMT Tero Korento said:
>Does GENIE have a ftp address ? What is it ?
>thanx.
>
>--- Tero Korento ---

  GEnie is not, at this moment, connected to Bitnet or Internet.  I just
read last night that they are working on it and should eventually connect.

Alan H. Stein              | stein@uconnvm.bitnet
Department of Mathematics  |
University of Connecticut  | Compu$erve  71545,1500
32 Hillside Avenue         | GEnie       ah.stein
Waterbury, CT 06710        | SNET        (203) 757-1231

vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vernon Williams) (10/30/90)

In article <9010300252.AA23306@apple.com> STEIN@UCONNVM.BITNET (Alan Stein) writes:
> .MIT.EDU>
>
>On Mon, 29 Oct 90 16:34:51 GMT Tero Korento said:
>>Does GENIE have a ftp address ? What is it ?
>>thanx.
>>
>>--- Tero Korento ---
>
>  GEnie is not, at this moment, connected to Bitnet or Internet.  I just
>read last night that they are working on it and should eventually connect.

[.Sig deleted]

Perhaps, but I think that we might be missing the point of the question.
The person who asked this question wants to FTP files from GEnie. The
establishment of a mail gateway won't necessarily allow him to do this.
In fact, I doubt that GEnie would allow net access to their libraries.

+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Vernon L. Williams         | Electronic Mail:    vw3@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  |
|Thomas J. Watson Library   | Campus Mail:        130 Uris Hall               |
|Columbia University        | Phone Mail:         212-854-6798                |

m.tiernan@pro-angmar.UUCP (Michael Tiernan) (10/31/90)

Actually GEnie cannot recieve or send messages to the internet but they are
connected.  GEnie is the support system for the dealer version of Applelink
(the original) and you can send mail to users from the net.  They can
reciprocate but users of GEnie as GEnie itself cannot.

<< MCT >>

GEnie       : M.Tiernan
AppleLinkPE : M Tiernan or BCS Mike
Internet    : pro-angmar!m.tiernan@alphalpha.com
UUCP        : ...!uunet!alphalpha!pro-angmar!m.tiernan

"God isn't dead, he's only missing in action."
                                             - Phil Ochs